Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

I have a crazy question and I will explain i a sec, but...is it possible to gain back 130lbs but not stretch your pouch? Here's my issue...

I am 10+ yrs post VSG. Day of surgery I was 275 lbs. I reached my goal of 140 within 1 yr. I was ecstatic!! With the exception of about a 5-10 lb fluctuation I maintained goal for 7.5-8 yrs. Awesome right?

Here's where it gets screwy....I have terrible menstrual Migraines, so in order to not have the Migraine, gyno put me on Depo-Provera. WORST DECISION EVER!!! Not only did it not do what it was supposed to, I gained 50-70 lbs instantly. I took 2 shots, and then said no more...that was 2 yrs ago. I have since gained back almost all my weight, I have tried to do the reset but it didn't work.

I just had all my labs done and no thyroid issue, all normal except the need for Vitamin D and Iron pills. I also just had an endoscopy, and the Dr. said that my pouch is intact, and it has not stretched...still like it was in the beginning. Also, my husband has had heart problems so I only cook heart healthy, and definitely WLS friendly.

I just don't know what to do...talk about feeling like a failure! My only guess at this point is that my hormones are screwy and I'm starting to go into peri-menopause. Does any of this sound plausible? Has anyone else had any experience like this? And I am totally willing to do anything to get back to even half of where I was 2 yrs ago.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

I am done with menopause and may have gained a few pounds going through it but nothing like that. Your doctor can check your hormone levels to tell you how far along you are in the peri-menopausal period (which can last for many years) Mine checked mine once a year for probably 5 or 6 years.

If you are eating the way you did when you first lost the weight there must be something else going on. I hope you can figure out what it is :(

I don't mean to question you, but they were doing the sleeve 10 years ago? My SIL had hers in 2010 and she was told she was one of the first patients to have it done, and she was a trial.

Enlighten me!

I was on Depo about 20 years ago, and after shooting up 40 lbs in no time at all, I told my doctor enough is enough. That was pre-surgery, though. That stuff might provide great birth control, but at a huge cost. I'm sorry I ever went on it (I never lost the weight afterward - that is, not until surgery). If your stomach hasn't stretched, you can probably lose the weight again - it might be a matter of just going back to the rules.

I don't mean to question you, but they were doing the sleeve 10 years ago? My SIL had hers in 2010 and she was told she was one of the first patients to have it done, and she was a trial.

Enlighten me!

No worries...yes, i had mine in 2007....i was a self pay...insurance didn't even know what it was back then. I also had it done in San Francisco, and my husbands ex-wife is a bariatric nurse so I sorta had an "in" with a surgeon.

When I moved to Vegas 2 yrs later...and even until now I have to explain what it was because people here are...well...to be nice...set in their ways....:)

I am done with menopause and may have gained a few pounds going through it but nothing like that. Your doctor can check your hormone levels to tell you how far along you are in the peri-menopausal period (which can last for many years) Mine checked mine once a year for probably 5 or 6 years.

If you are eating the way you did when you first lost the weight there must be something else going on. I hope you can figure out what it is :(

And that is exactly why I am so frustrated...because I truly do eat properly. Dr's all think i am lying and even when my husband is with me he can vouch...I just don't know where to turn...

Enlighten me!

No worries...yes, i had mine in 2007....i was a self pay...insurance didn't even know what it was back then. I also had it done in San Francisco, and my husbands ex-wife is a bariatric nurse so I sorta had an "in" with a surgeon.

When I moved to Vegas 2 yrs later...and even until now I have to explain what it was because people here are...well...to be nice...set in their ways....:)

Fascinating! After almost 3 years on these forums, you are the longest term sleever I've ever seen! I've seen a lot of long term bypass peeps, like my hubby who is 10 years out, but never a sleeve!

So tell me, how is your restriction at 10 years out? What would you say your portions are now? Like me at over 2 years out, I would say my max is a cup, depending on what it is.

I had surgery 2.5 years ago. Lost 130+ lbs and was doing great. Then came the Depo Shot....... The first two shots didn't seem to effect me the third one made me bloat immediately and gain 15 lbs without doing anything. I have been off them since June but my body is still not back to normal. Went to a hormone dr this week to see if he can fix. Super frustrating!

Enlighten me!

When I moved to Vegas 2 yrs later...and even until now I have to explain what it was because people here are...well...to be nice...set in their ways.... :)

Fascinating! After almost 3 years on these forums, you are the longest term sleever I've ever seen! I've seen a lot of long term bypass peeps, like my hubby who is 10 years out, but never a sleeve!

So tell me, how is your restriction at 10 years out? What would you say your portions are now? Like me at over 2 years out, I would say my max is a cup, depending on what it is.

Honestly...and this is what is so upsetting...my meals are maybe 3-4 oz. total...obviously if im having Soup about the same as you...around 1 cup...thats why i am having such a hard time...I eat like a person who had 85% of their stomach removed...no carbonation...no drinking while eating...I may not get ALL my Water and Protein EVERYDAY...but for the most part I do really well. So to have gained so much back and still have great restriction doesn't make sense...

I almost wish my pouch did stretch because at least that would make me eligible for a revision...but as it is there isn't much to revise....

Dr weiner has a great video on this topic....https://youtu.be/3_aahPETzH0

Edited by Travelher