Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had it.. need help...thinking about banding

Hey Fish!

I was anti-cosmetic surgery of any kind, and would never have considered this in a million years. (YES, I know this is WLS, not cosmetic, but I still felt the same about it - too extreme, too violent, too much of a cop out, whatever) That was until my little boy needed to be sent to a residential drug rehab program for 6 months, at the tender age of 12. We decided soon after the shock wore off that if we were going to ask a little kid like that to face his demons, we as adults should be able to face ours, as well. But how? when I had already been to 13 fat clinics over the last 20 years, and my husband had been smoking 2 packs a day for longer than that. It was he that recommended the LapBand. I knew it was the only way. I had lost hundreds of pounds over the years, but always gained it back. That was the only criteria I had to meet, besides being willing to do it. And while I was going to do it, I still didn't want to - and I cried an ocean of tears during the three week wait to have it done and the first 10 days after. I was ashamed that I had let it get to this point, I was sad that I had to alter my body for the foreseeable future, and I was miserable that I had no other options. But then, one day, I see that I have incredibly tiny scars marking the surgery. I understand that I can't feel anything foreign inside me. I learn that I really can eat like a normal person (not like I used to, but the same as my "normal" sisters), and without even dieting, without even trying, 16 pounds just left me, and I haven't even had my first fill yet. You couldn't pay me to undo what I've done, and I am rushing towards the future with incredible confidence in this Band.

I hope you decide to do it. If it could make a believer out of me, it can make a believer out of anybody.

WinterWish....that is great news. How do you feel? How is things working out with food? What is your experience with PBing and is it as bad as people say when you eat something that does not agree with you? I am a strong guy, but when it comes to getting sick I am a little baby. Guess this is something that I will have to overcome if I decide to get banded. My life is for the next bite and what is the plan for the next meal. Yeah, I am not proud of it....in fact I am mad that I have reached this point. My hunger is triggered by nerves. I also have this hunger to eat like no tomorrow. No matter what diet I try I am a grumpy man. (can't eat....hunger....pissed off as a result) I don't have self control and food is a drug to me. But anyway...how are you doing? What is the experinence like and how can I get over the fear? Thanks for the response and God Bless.

Be well,

Fish (Mike)

hey!!! don't be scarred be scarred of going over 300 like I did. I was at 371 I dont remimber going from 300 to 371 but it changed my like I could not do any thing and I am for real. talk watch tv get on the computer and eat for real!!! my knee's started going out around 310 and I could not sleep in my bed. And now I can do any thing even if i wiegh still 280 pound's at least I can go places play with my kid's and my grandkid's yes you may think it scary but I am telling you it's not at all I was walking around the day of my surgery it's great!!!! not a fast wieght loss but by all means a good wieght loss!!! I have been banded for 4 years and would not have done anything eles but be banded my friend did the y surgery and has gained back alot and is wanting to get the band now on top of what she has already done..... I don't know about that one!!!! well good luck to you be happy and have fun every day with you wife and child!!!

Deeda

371/280/150

LD 09/04/03

WinterWish....that is great news. How do you feel? How is things working out with food? What is your experience with PBing and is it as bad as people say when you eat something that does not agree with you? I am a strong guy, but when it comes to getting sick I am a little baby. Guess this is something that I will have to overcome if I decide to get banded. My life is for the next bite and what is the plan for the next meal. Yeah, I am not proud of it....in fact I am mad that I have reached this point. My hunger is triggered by nerves. I also have this hunger to eat like no tomorrow. No matter what diet I try I am a grumpy man. (can't eat....hunger....pissed off as a result) I don't have self control and food is a drug to me. But anyway...how are you doing? What is the experinence like and how can I get over the fear? Thanks for the response and God Bless.

Be well,

Fish (Mike)

Hey Fish,

Apparently the switch for feeling full is at the top of the stomach, which is why we feel so full after eating so little. This certainly was a surprize for me, since I honestly didn't think I was built with one of those switches at all! The PBs are not like vomiting at all. You don't get the lower abdominal wrenching or the foul stomach acids of vomiting. I'm not telling you its great, but it is easy. And a relief. When you eat something too fast, too large, too hard or just unsuitable, it's like swallowing a little ball of fire, and it can last a couple of seconds to (in my case) over an hour. I don't let that happen any more. I've PB'd 5 times - once when the phone rang, and I automatically swallowed, once when I ate too much, the rest during lively meal conversation where I wasn't paying attention. It's been a couple of weeks now since it's happened, and I like to think it won't happen again. When you pay attention to your eating, it tastes better and it's more satisfying than just wolfing it down with your eye on quantity, not quality. It sounds to me like you are unable to be satisfied by food, which makes you gorge. After banding, food is incredibly satisfying, because it is a slow, thoughtful process. I know how hard this is to believe. Did anyone ever mention that, because you are full for so long, you won't get "diet breath", either? And, like my surgeon said to me - the band doesn't care if you're on vacation, or you're having a bad day, of if you've decided to fall off the wagon for a while - it's there to support that one moment of clarity when you decided to finally lose weight - forever. I am having no problems with it whatsoever. And there is just so much time in my day now for other things because I'm no longer focussed on food. I bought a dog and I walk her a lot. I'm getting chores done that have been on the list for years. You'll see! :)