Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

do I really need a C-PAP machine?

They didn't give me the option of exchanging mine. They just gave me a new one and charged it to the insurance. Now, whether they will pay for a 2nd one or not is a different story. But, if it gets denied and the medical supply store tries to charge me, I will just tell them to take it back because I'm not paying for it when they already got paid for one.

Hi Everyone

I'm not going to go into a lecture about why you should use your CPAP if you've got apnea, your doctors have already given you all the reasons. But as a sleep Tech and also a CPAP user I will tell you it can be life changing once you get used to it. Don't give up! If you feel like you are having a hard time breathing with the mask on or that you are not getting enough air, your pressure may be too low. If it is difficult to breathe out against the pressure, talk to your doctor about possibly switching your machine to BiPap mode. This has 2 pressures, higher pressure when you inhale, and then it backs off tthe pressure when you exhale making it easier to breathe out.

A few things about masks:

• If you hate your mask, you have the wrong mask. Masks are like shoes, just because one person thinks Nikes are awesome doesn't mean everyone loves them!
  • Most people take about a month to get used to sleeping with the mask. DONT GIVE UP!
  • For nose breathers I recommend the Flexi-Fit 406 or 407 made by Fisher&Paykel. This is the mask I use and it is always the first one I suggest to my patients if they are a nose breather. It's quite a small mask, very comfortable. The 406 is the smallest model and is for patients with a little nose.
  • If your mask is leaking you either have the wrong mask for your face or it was improperly fitted/adjusted. IMPORTANCE OF GOOD FIT CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH!
  • For mouth breathers I recommend the Quattro made by ResMed. This is what's called a Full Face Mask because it goes over mouth and nose. This is a new mask and in my opinion is much better than any other model of Full Face mask available. Full Face Masks can be a little tricky because they have a larger surface area they need to seal around.
  • Nasal Pillows go IN your nostrils instead of covering your nose or nose/mouth. I personally don't like them and much prefer my little FP nasal mask, but many people love them. Your best bet for nasal pillows would probably be a Swift mask, also made by ResMed. The biggest drawback to nasal pillows is that they don't handle high pressures very well and tend to leak if your pressure is above 10-12, so if your apnea is severe and you require a lot of pressure, Nasal Pillows are probably not for you.
  • Men with facial hair have a difficult time getting a good fit on any full face or nasal mask because the mask cannot seal against the skin around the nose/mouth. Nasal Pillows work best, but again only for pressures up to about 12. (This is not an exact #!!!!)

That's about all I can think of right now, but if you have specific questions feel free to PM me. Good luck to all of you, and remember that having the energy to work out while we are all on this weight loss journey will be a huge bonus, and a good nights sleep will help give you that energy!!

Jill

Will be banded in 10 days! :whoo:

Prior to surgery, I found my energy level increased when I used the c-pap. Since surgery, I don't use it consistently and my spouse said he doesn't hear me snore anymore. sleep apnea is dangerous and if your doc says you need it, I would get it. Mine was covered by my insurance.

I wouldn't worry about getting the C-Pap. You won't need it once you begin losing the weight anyway. I will be coming off of my C-Pap soon along with the meds.

Only her doctor would know if she would need it after she began losing weight. Weight is not the only issue for sleep apnea. CPAP's are not easy to adjust to, but when you do they are life changing! A few years ago I just thought I was getting old and that's what being old felt like. It didn't help that I gave birth to my fourth child. So I equated it to being over weight, growing old and having a baby. I was wrong! I encourage the OP to listen to her doctor!!!!!

You guys seem to know a lot about sleep apnea. Could you guys read my post (I know it's long) and possibly answer the question on the last line - Thanks Guys!!!

Maria

I'm glad I saw this thread. I've suspected I've had sleep apnea for a long time. Yet, when making all the necessary appt. for pre-op (cardiac appt, chest x-ray, pulmonary function test etc...) a sleep study was never mentioned. I had my gallbladder out in 2004 and the surgeon said he had a very hard time getting me off the respirator - he said due to my smoking. But, after seeing "Dr. 90210" last night, a gentleman's airway collapsed while receiving a sedative before his operation. He was heavy as well. I'm SO afraid of anesthesia complications. PS - My Lap Band surgeon said he highly doubts smoking was the reason why I had a hard time getting off the respirator in 2004. Although, he did say I need to be 1 month smoke-free before Lap Band. I'm thinking maybe I should have a sleep apnea test before I go under for Lap Band... If I do take the test and find that I do have sleep apnea, how will that change what will happen during Lap Band surgery?

Maria

Maria,

For me personally using a cpap changed my everyday life dramatically. After a full nights sleep I awoke feeling tired. Just the opposite of what you are supposed to feel. It was as if I hadn't gone to bed at all. And the days I didn't feel THAT way, by 3:00 in the afternoon I felt liked I needed a nap. Being that I am a stay at home mom, there was a lull in the afternoon before the kids got home for school. I'd sit on the couch for a bit and watch a little TV and I'd be asleep in 10 mins. At night, I couldn't make it through a show that began at 10:00.

I encourage you to do a sleep study. They aren't fun....but if there is suspiscion that you may indeed have sleep apnea, it will save your life. When I came to the realzation of all the complications of sleep apnea I made my appointment. I didn't realize that there was lack of oxygen to the brain which in turned KILLED brain cells! I need every single one of those cells! I suffered a mild case of depression, which I attributed to having had a baby. It wasn't. It was sleep deprivation. I feel sooooo much better!

As far as the surgery is concerned, they use the cpap during to keep the oxygen flowing. I only remember it being mentioned to me while getting my cpap calibrated. I was told to have it with you for a surgery......so I do. I don't believe it was used during my surgery, but I was compliant. I am not a smoker nor ever have been and have had no respitory issues.

I hope this answers some of you questions. Feel free to ask any others. Good luck to you........go get that study done! :)

You just explained exactly how I feel EVERY day. I thought the very same thing, I had a baby 3 years ago and I feel like I have not slept a full night in 3 years. I snore like an animal (My husband made a short movie of me on his phone - IT WAS an INHUMAN sound). I wake up several times a night, I know because I look at the clock. I feel exhausted every day - even after 8 hours. I feel as if I only slept 3 or 4 hours all the time. I have no short term memory. I made an appt with my PCP to discuss a sleep study (before lap band surgery). After your response, I will insist on it. Thanks so much for your reply!!!

Maria

I'm glad I saw this thread. I've suspected I've had sleep apnea for a long time. Yet, when making all the necessary appt. for pre-op (cardiac appt, chest x-ray, pulmonary function test etc...) a sleep study was never mentioned. I had my gallbladder out in 2004 and the surgeon said he had a very hard time getting me off the respirator - he said due to my smoking. But, after seeing "Dr. 90210" last night, a gentleman's airway collapsed while receiving a sedative before his operation. He was heavy as well. I'm SO afraid of anesthesia complications. PS - My Lap Band surgeon said he highly doubts smoking was the reason why I had a hard time getting off the respirator in 2004. Although, he did say I need to be 1 month smoke-free before Lap Band. I'm thinking maybe I should have a sleep apnea test before I go under for Lap Band... If I do take the test and find that I do have sleep apnea, how will that change what will happen during Lap Band surgery?

Maria

how will that change what will happen during Lap Band surgery?

Well, you will need to let the doctor and the anesthesiologist know for sure. That way they can more closely monitor your breathing during the operation.

Also, if you get a CPAP machine, you will need it in the hospital if you are staying there overnight.

I'm so glad I could help! As I said, the study isn't fun, but it is so worth it. I couldn't believe how different even one nights sleep felt. It was amazing. I still struggle putting that mask on each night but in the morning I'm always glad I did. Feel free to PM me if you have ANY other questions!

I got tested for sleep apnea when I was considering the LapBand surgery

only because I figured if I had it that would help me get approved from my insurance company (co-morbidity). I'm glad I did because I found out that I have severe obstructive sleep apnea. Just before my surgery when the anesthesiologist was asking me questions, he happened to ask if I had sleep apnea. When I said yes, he rather sternly said that is the first thing you should always tell the anesthesiologist, it is very important! It is hard to get use to using the cpap machine, but you shouldn't give up. Keep trying different masks until you find the one best suited to you.

Maria, you won't be on CPAP during surgery, but after they remove the tube from your throat CPAP is very helpful in keeping your oxygen levels up.

Beyond the surgery issues...If you do in fact have apnea, once you start sleeping better you will have a lot more energey, and in a weight loss journey, more energy will only be a good thing!

Also, someone mentioned that once you start losing weight you will no longer need CPAP. THIS IS NOT NECESSARILY TRUE! It depends on the cause of your apnea. If your apnea is weight related, then yes, it will most likely be significantly or completely gone after weight loss. If your apnea is caused by decreased muscle tone due to age, or by anatomy (tonsil size, tongue size, palate arch, airway class), then weight loss may only have a minimal effect on your apnea.

Prior to beginning CPAP (before I was a sleep tech) I had no energy, I was tired all the time, I never slept well, I always felt like I could sleep another 8 hours even if I had been in bed for 10 hours, and my memory was shot. Since beginning CPAP 2 years ago, I have slept better than I have since high school! I never set an alarm anymore because I just wake up when I'm rested which is usually 7-8 hours. My memory is much better, I have lots more energy and I'm not tired all the time. And I'm less grouchy!

Untreated apnea can be very dangerous. If your brain has to choose between sleep and oxygen...its going to choose oxygen!! Apnea tends to be worse the deeper your sleep is, so you may think you're alseep, but your brain is likely keeping you in your light sleep stages and allowing you very little of stage 3-4 sleep, which is your restful sleep. Remember, CPAP can be a tool just like the band is a tool. If you are sleeping better, getting more rest, having more energy, getting more restorative sleep when your body can repair itself...all those things will contribute to your overall success.

Good luck!!

Thanks again pmmegm and Wendell! I'm nodding out at my desk right now.....zzzzzz

Ha ha

Maria

WAKE UP! You need to make an appointment! :gluck:

Thank you everyone for opening my eyes to this situation! You have answered my questions and I have printed out all the info on the types of masks (Thanks Blue Eyed Kitty). My main concern was the surgery - now I KNOW (Thank you Wendell and Happy Camper) that I must tell the anesthesiologist if I have it. The appointment is made with the PCP and I will insist on the sleep study. I would be really happy to have more energy, be less grouchy and be able to sleep the night once and for all.

This site is awesome, love all you guys!

Maria