Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie with Surgery Date

Surgery date is all set for December 6th. On my pre-op diet--which doesn't seem nearly as restrictive as some I've read about. Dr. did give me the ok to enjoy Thanksgiving eating with family. In the fairness of full disclosure some of Thursday eating did spill over into Friday. So of course now I'm paranoid I ruined everything. My brain keeps telling me that one or even 2 days of not-so-good eating during a 2 week pre-op isn't going to kill things. But of course I read things like surgeries begins stopped midway through because of liver size not being reduced to a comfortable level. So I need someone to tell me I'm being stupid and slap me upside the head.

Also, would life to find another guy as a mentor and/or even a surgery buddy.

The past few weeks went through the "lasts"...last time for pizza, last time for wife's alfredo, last pick up from the local bakery. It's been weird. And the fact that it's carried some sadness has me freaked out as to the whole "can I really stick to the post op dietary lifestyle change". Anyone else experience anything similar?

My wife blew me away the other day. Obviously I'm a big guy--and my two sons (ages 12 and 13) are both big boys. My wife commented that she's saving some of the clothes they've outgrown. This seemed strange as we aren't having any more kids, and at this point we basically have all nieces. She proceeds to tell me she's saving them for me. I had never really considered the fact that the size 34 pants my boys are wearing, could possibly be something I fit into a year from now! Very Very surreal...

Welcome to the beginning of a better life. That may sound maudlin, but it's true. Tuesday will be here before you know it, and then gone with the wind...

I'm not here to judge, but in all seriousness, stick to your pre-op diet. Those stories are true. You should be fine if you remain committed from here on out.

I experienced the same doubt about staying committed to the dietary changes, and you'll probably go the whole gamut of emotions as you progress through different stages of post-op diets. But I can honestly tell you since about a week before my surgery I haven't had a single sensations of physical hunger. Mental cravings are also reduced, though definitely remain. But when you're never hungry or starving, you're much less likely to binge--and even if you wanted to, you can't.

I'm 4 weeks out and have lost 21.2 lb. since and 46.4 since starting my pre-op diet. That's about 9.5% of my body weight in six weeks. (Granted my starting weight was probably a bit inflated due to all the salt from my "goodbye weekend" choices.) My weigh-ins during the first month were all over the place (-7.8 lb. one week, -2.2 the next), which is very common.

On a side note, and please take this with a grain of salt...I was always very big. While wearing your sons' old clothes may save good money, I would honestly have been so devastated and depressed if I were 13 or 14 and my father was wearing my hand-me-downs. Just something to consider.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My boys taste in clothes probably don't suit me all that well either...so it would mainly be things like jeans, or polos...but point well taken--I can totally see that happening.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

As a guy 18 months out, I echo Ignatius...Welcome to the beginning of a better life. That may sound maudlin, but it's true. Tuesday will be here before you know it, and then gone with the wind...

I can't tell you what this has done for me. At 65, one heart attack, diabetes, I was facing lack of mobility and early death. My weight, which went to over 450 at it's highest, was lower for a year (430) but I knew it would go back and that 500 was waiting. I can't express how much my weight kept me from life enjoyment with my kids, all grown now.

Now -- functionally, almost no diabetes symptoms, all blood readings perfect, I can get up off the floor without supports, I have always been able to run my small farm and do my professional life, but it was with enormous effort. Now, little effort. I can prune my orchard without stress. I can walk my dog without any heavy breathing. And on and on.

Still have 30# to go, but due to the small pouch size, you really can't eat much, and I am pretty good about all the habits now --- Water, Protein, slow eating, etc. I lose a little bit each month. Those habits are ingrained at 18 months and I don't even have to think. Still working on meshing my actual size with my mental picture of myself as a fat guy. It is better, but I guess 50+ years of self image will not go away overnight. Still have challenges with sugar, but so much better. I never overeat as I do not want to stretch the stomach out. I avoid fizzy drinks for the same reason. I can go into any restaurant and eat, just make choices for small appetizers because I simply can't begin to finish an entree.

At home, we now eat pretty normally only with much less carbs. My wife is skinny, so she already had great habits. My goal for this year is not to think about my size -- just go with the flow of health, focus on joy, and MOVE!

You have done the right thing. Unbelievable things await.

I am not that far post op yet, but I started out a lot heavier than you are. I am planning to get down to where you are now and then a little more.

Deviating from your diet for one day will not hurt you. When you deviate for one day, six days in a row, it will. The shrink at my program tells everyone to stick to an 80/20 diet - 80% good stuff and 20% treats and not so good stuff. I am having no trouble keeping it at 90/10 right now, and plan to keep it that way at least.

I lost 67 lbs pre-op. The last 15 were on the two week pre-op diet, and the snotty resident who observed and helped out in the OR said, "Well, your liver could have been smaller". Right. I could have been smaller too, and then I wouldn't have needed this! Everything went fine for me, and recovery has been very easy, if somewhat tedious. Hopefully you will have the same experience.