Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do's and Don'ts for RNY

I'm pretty sure this has been asked already but this forum is very large and the key word search doesn't seem to work well.

Just wanted to know what suggestions you have as far as thinks you should do or avoid. Also, how long were you in pain afterwards and when were you feeling close to your normal selves?

Thanks,

Londa

It hurt for the first week or so but never enough to take pain pills. I was driving myself on day three (even though I wasn't supposed to for 2 weeks) and I was feeling like my old self on the second week.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Moving around was uncomfortable for about a week but I was able to sleep in a recliner so that helped. My upper abdomen still feels like I have a binder around me but it isn't painful. I drive after a week but I could have if I needed to before. My energy level hasn't really gone up but honestly it wasn't exactly high just prior to surgery either.

I'm a little more than 3 weeks out and my advice is to just follow the plan.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Do follow your post op diet

Do focus on Protein and Vitamins

Do call your doctors office or dietician with questions

Don't over eat to try and hit your goals

Don't eat things off plan while your stomach is healing

Don't drink food or eat too quickly even when you can or you could "dump". I found that one t the hard way.

I did not need medication after leaving the hospital. I started feeling more normal at purees and totally normal once back on regular food

I had hardly any pain at all - although my abs for the first week felt like I'd done 1000 crunches. So *transitioning* was a bit tough (i.e., going from lying down to sitting) because of my abs, but otherwise, if I was just lying down - or just sitting - I really had almost no pain at all. I was very surprised by that.

I had almost no pain. There was a little soreness in the abs, but I never opened the bottle of Oxy the gave me.

I was quite tired for the first two weeks, and I was craving food until I hit purees.

At about week 4, I was completely normal, physically and mentally.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

No sugar, no high fat, no starches. You will have dumping if you do.

the statistic I see thrown around these boards a lot is that 30% of RNY'ers dump. I don't know if there's any research data to back that up, but suffice it to say, not everyone dumps. I don't - but I sort of wish I did!

Well ofcourse not everyone does. But those are the causes of dumping and the point of the surgery is to get healthier so it's always a good idea to avoid those unhealthy foods anyway. It's killing two birds with one stone.

Plus i know plenty of people who do dump, it's honestly not worth the risk.