Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm going to meet with my surgeon on Monday and from there they will call me and set a date. I started a new job in October, and will only be taking one week off, assuming that will be enough time to recover. I've read in most cases people were ready to go back to work after one week, so that's a chance I'm willing to take.

My question is: Should I talk to my boss and HR about it on Tuesday once I get back from my appointment? I've decided I'm going to say it's a hernia repair regardless, due to the fact that I am a private person and would rather no one know my business. I am going to make sure my doctor fills out all required paperwork. I am also already aware that the week I will be taking off will be without pay, but that's okay. I just don't want it to be too short notice.

I'm on a 6 month probation with this job and taking one week will push out my probation by a week also.

I wanted to wait until after my 6 month probation but this new job requires me to be a bit more active/mobile and more walking and due to the extra weight, I'm either always sweating by the time I get to work or my back and calves/shins are in burning pain by the time I get to work in the morning.

So again, my main question is: Should I talk to my boss and HR on Tuesday just to put the bug in their ear that my doctor could be calling me with a surgery date any day now? Then proceed to fill out all required paperwork and have my doctor sign off on it?

Edited by magnificent2015

I have a desk job (IT). I had the surgery on Wed, took Thu and Fri off. Worked from home all of the next week, and it was a little rough. If I'd had a full week off, I probably could have managed the office after that week. I hadn't been at my job a year (about 10 months at that point) so I didn't have any FMLA protection. But I knew I could work from home as needed, my boss was super supportive.

My preference would have been to wait until I'd been at my job a year so I'd have FMLA protection in case something went wrong. I would have waited until after a year if there had been any concern about the job.

I gave my boss the heads up as soon as the decision was made, and then the actual dates as soon as I got a date. I think the more notice you give them, the better they take it.

You didn't say what kind of work you do. If it's not desk work, you are likely to find a week off to be too short. If it is desk work, it all kinda depends on how fast you tend to heal and how much discomfort you are good working through.

Also, while complications are rare, you might want to think about what would happen to your job if you had a complication and needed another week or two off. If it might mean losing the job, do you have other options, or is it a risk you're willing to take? Because I knew I could work from home (or the hospital with wifi), I was covered in case of complications. If I hadn't been in a really good place with my boss and had that work from home capacity, I'd have very likely pushed the surgery past my 1 year mark.

Good luck! It's never easy deciding what to do about stuff like this when you're new on a job.

Keep this in mind, you don't have to tell them anything other than you will be out. At the most you can tell them you have to have a procedure and will need a few days. I was out for 2 weeks, but could've gone back at 1, but I would've been uncomfortable. I actually had a hernia repair during my surgery and that was my only source of pain. Since it sounds like your new job is more active, you may not be ready to return after a week. It took me til week three to get back to anything close to my regular energy levels.

Good Luck to you!

Yeah, if I'd had an active job, I wouldn't have been able to go back for at LEAST 2 weeks, and probably 3.

So I'm going to meet with my surgeon on Monday and from there they will call me and set a date. I started a new job in October, and will only be taking one week off, assuming that will be enough time to recover. I've read in most cases people were ready to go back to work after one week, so that's a chance I'm willing to take.

My question is: Should I talk to my boss and HR about it on Tuesday once I get back from my appointment? I've decided I'm going to say it's a hernia repair regardless, due to the fact that I am a private person and would rather no one know my business. I am going to make sure my doctor fills out all required paperwork. I am also already aware that the week I will be taking off will be without pay, but that's okay. I just don't want it to be too short notice.

I'm on a 6 month probation with this job and taking one week will push out my probation by a week also.

I wanted to wait until after my 6 month probation but this new job requires me to be a bit more active/mobile and more walking and due to the extra weight, I'm either always sweating by the time I get to work or my back and calves/shins are in burning pain by the time I get to work in the morning.

So again, my main question is: Should I talk to my boss and HR on Tuesday just to put the bug in their ear that my doctor could be calling me with a surgery date any day now? Then proceed to fill out all required paperwork and have my doctor sign off on it?

Only talk to HR.

Sent from my SM-N900V using the BariatricPal App

Keep this in mind, you don't have to tell them anything other than you will be out. At the most you can tell them you have to have a procedure and will need a few days. I was out for 2 weeks, but could've gone back at 1, but I would've been uncomfortable. I actually had a hernia repair during my surgery and that was my only source of pain. Since it sounds like your new job is more active, you may not be ready to return after a week. It took me til week three to get back to anything close to my regular energy levels.

Good Luck to you!

Yeah, if I'd had an active job, I wouldn't have been able to go back for at LEAST 2 weeks, and probably 3.

I have a desk job (IT). I had the surgery on Wed, took Thu and Fri off. Worked from home all of the next week, and it was a little rough. If I'd had a full week off, I probably could have managed the office after that week. I hadn't been at my job a year (about 10 months at that point) so I didn't have any FMLA protection. But I knew I could work from home as needed, my boss was super supportive.

My preference would have been to wait until I'd been at my job a year so I'd have FMLA protection in case something went wrong. I would have waited until after a year if there had been any concern about the job.

I gave my boss the heads up as soon as the decision was made, and then the actual dates as soon as I got a date. I think the more notice you give them, the better they take it.

You didn't say what kind of work you do. If it's not desk work, you are likely to find a week off to be too short. If it is desk work, it all kinda depends on how fast you tend to heal and how much discomfort you are good working through.

Also, while complications are rare, you might want to think about what would happen to your job if you had a complication and needed another week or two off. If it might mean losing the job, do you have other options, or is it a risk you're willing to take? Because I knew I could work from home (or the hospital with wifi), I was covered in case of complications. If I hadn't been in a really good place with my boss and had that work from home capacity, I'd have very likely pushed the surgery past my 1 year mark.

Good luck! It's never easy deciding what to do about stuff like this when you're new on a job.

I do have a desk job that doesn't require any real form of activity. It's just my commute to and from work since I have to take the subway. Occasionally I have to walk a short distance if one of the trains is having an issue, but no more than 0.5 of a mile.

But that's part of the issue, the trains are unreliable and the walk with this weight is killerrrrrrr. I've been eating better but no weigth has come off, working out with this weight is proven to be most difficult. Between the lower back pain, sweating, shin splints etc ... you see my problem.

Only talk to HR.

Sent from my SM-N900V using the BariatricPal App

Thank you , I'll do that then. I've just been unsure which is more appropriate given the delicacy and since I'm a new employee. I was on this journey to WLS before I started the job it's just now I was approved and I started in October. I probably won't be having surgery until the end of December/ early January

Like you, I am very private and didn't want to give anyone any information. All I said was I was having a procedure. I worked Monday I went in for surgery Tuesday and I went back to work the following Tuesday. Everyone is different. I'm sure you'll make the right choice. good luck!

Sent from my LG-H740 using the BariatricPal App