Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does it really hurt?

It really does vary from person to person. Not trying to discourage, but a woman who had surgery the same day and time as me was still having to use Oxy to sleep and was dealing with a,lot of pain issues. A lot of people has gas issues. I didnt, but I dont want you to think we lied to you if every thing is mot hunky dory.

Even with pain, i think its worth it. I have never lost 55lbs in 2 months before

HW 385 SW 359 CW 331 (54lbs down!) Sleeved 10/5/16

That is what i keep hearing that it varies from person to person. So i really don't know what to expect. I know im going to have pain but i dont know the level of it. That is the unknown what is kinda scary. But do they put immidiatly pain meds in the IV or do you need to tell them to??

Sent from my SM-G928F using the BariatricPal App

It really does vary from person to person. Not trying to discourage, but a woman who had surgery the same day and time as me was still having to use Oxy to sleep and was dealing with a,lot of pain issues. A lot of people has gas issues. I didnt, but I dont want you to think we lied to you if every thing is mot hunky dory.

Even with pain, i think its worth it. I have never lost 55lbs in 2 months before

That is what i keep hearing that it varies from person to person. So i really don't know what to expect. I know im going to have pain but i dont know the level of it. That is the unknown what is kinda scary. But do they put immidiatly pain meds in the IV or do you need to tell them to??

Most docs will order both an IV pain med and a tablet pain med. The tablet pain med is usually hydrocodone, but there are other options if you don't like it or are allergic. As a nurse, I tell my patients to let me know as soon as the pain starts ramping up, because it's easier to control if you don't let it get out of hand. If it's significant pain, I usually give the IV med because it works faster and tends to be stronger, but doesn't last as long. Then after a little while I give the oral med, because it will last longer. Most docs and nurses like to transition to the oral meds as soon as possible and only use the IV meds for break-through or really bad pain. They can't really send you home until your pain is controlled by meds they can send with you. The goal is also to use the least amount of meds needed to control the pain. So it's likely you'll need to communicate with your nurse where your pain level is, and you will work together to keep it under control.

I have rarely had patients who could not get their pain under control, and they invariably had serious chronic medical conditions that were contributing as well as a tolerance to pain meds. If you're in good health generally and don't take a lot of pain meds, it's to be expected that they will keep your pain to a minimum.

Most docs will order both an IV pain med and a tablet pain med. The tablet pain med is usually hydrocodone, but there are other options if you don't like it or are allergic. As a nurse, I tell my patients to let me know as soon as the pain starts ramping up, because it's easier to control if you don't let it get out of hand. If it's significant pain, I usually give the IV med because it works faster and tends to be stronger, but doesn't last as long. Then after a little while I give the oral med, because it will last longer. Most docs and nurses like to transition to the oral meds as soon as possible and only use the IV meds for break-through or really bad pain. They can't really send you home until your pain is controlled by meds they can send with you. The goal is also to use the least amount of meds needed to control the pain. So it's likely you'll need to communicate with your nurse where your pain level is, and you will work together to keep it under control.

I have rarely had patients who could not get their pain under control, and they invariably had serious chronic medical conditions that were contributing as well as a tolerance to pain meds. If you're in good health generally and don't take a lot of pain meds, it's to be expected that they will keep your pain to a minimum.

Thank you so much for your experience and telling me the way they handle the situation

It really puts things in perspective for me. I just need to trust the nurses that they will take good care of me

Wich they hopefully will do ofcourse. I wish you the best of luck in your journey

I had iv pain meds (the morphine) but i wasnt in any major pain the second day, so we switched to liquid vicoden. That stuff is horrible tasting, and i wasnt in enough pain to make a 3rd dose worth it. Third day no pain at all, but was worried about the effects of a bumpy car ride so took the third dose. They sent me home with 45 vicoden.

I could have kept the morphine the second day and had more doses of vicoden if i needed.

I had iv pain meds (the morphine) but i wasnt in any major pain the second day, so we switched to liquid vicoden. That stuff is horrible tasting, and i wasnt in enough pain to make a 3rd dose worth it. Third day no pain at all, but was worried about the effects of a bumpy car ride so took the third dose. They sent me home with 45 vicoden.

I could have kept the morphine the second day and had more doses of vicoden if i needed.

I'm so glad my doc let me keep taking tablets the whole time. I despise liquid medicine.

I take it you have never had any surgery before?

I think of myself as having a low pain threshold. The reason I think that is because I had 4 babies and had an epidural every time. There is no way I could have done it without an epidural. Most of my friends had natural childbirth, home births, etc. If my first delivery would have been natural I would never have had another child. Even the pain waiting for the epidural to be placed was incredible.

I just had my VSG on Halloween but I have have had my gallbladder removed in past as well as wisdom teeth and tonsils out in high school. I would say my VSG was not painful at all. I woke up with a morphine pump. I stayed in the hospital 2 nights. They sent me home with liquid codeine but I only needed it to sleep at night for the next 3 or 4 nights.

I did feel sore across the top of my stomach for a week or so. It was like I had done a million sit ups. Sitting up is hard for a while.

Pain is not the biggest issue, they manage the pain. The hard part is learning how to eat and drink again. You have to go really slow because it does hurt if you try to get too much in too fast. And if you don't get your Water in you will get dehydrated. Even now over 2 weeks out I am struggling to get all my Water and Protein in. It takes me like 2 hours to get a Protein shake down. That's the hard part for me. I wouldn't say anything about this has been painful.

Thank you so much for your reply. This makes me less worried.

Yes i never had surgery whatsoever. Never had kids. No nothing. So this is my first time ever going in cold turkey.

But as you put it seems less painfull that people make it out to be. The most i've heard was gass pain. And other complications like lekkage. But this odly doesn't scare.

The anesthesia is the part that makes me afraid. Waking up from it and how desoriented i may be.

Yes i heard the incision doesn't hurt that much like its the pain of crunches. Yes.

The liquid diet and proteine tend to not bother me that much

I mean my biggest enemy is the food. And yes maybe i talk to simple. But not eating for a while seems like heaven because it stresses me so much out.

Thanks again for your reply. I am really proud of you that you went through it like you did.

Thank you! I did have gas pains after I had my gallbladder out many years ago but after my sleeve surgery I didn't. If you do have gas pains the best thing you can do is walk, it causes the gas to break up and move out.

I do agree it is nice to not feel hungry, but for me it has been hard to get down the things I have to get down. My surgeon fussed at me on my one week check-up because I was not getting 60-70 grams of Protein down a day. I just have to take it really, really slowly. Getting my water and protein in now seems like a chore, but I know that will get better with time.

The anesthesia isn't so bad, you feel disoriented when you wake up but the nurses take care of you. Plus you will just sleep most of that first day after surgery. I spend 2 nights in the hospital and all I did was pee, sleep, and walk. It wasn't bad at all!

Edited by laceemouse