Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 days out can I eat eggs and turkey sausage?

Hey everyone! I was sleeved exactly 8 days ago. I feel pretty amazing and really well healed. I've been listening to my body and obeying the rules. I was wondering if it's okay to eat some very well chewed eggs and turkey sausage today? I feel almost 100% other than fatigue from a lack of nutrients. Should I listen to my body and introduce and eat foods as I feel fit or just stick to another week of full liquids? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You should follow your surgeon's instructions. There are medical reasons for the structured diet advancement after a major stomach surgery.

What does your bariatric team say? My surgeon and dietitian would have both horsewhipped me if I attempted sausage and eggs at 8 days out, and probably tried to retract my surgery, but unless we had the same surgeon, my instructions are irrelevant to you. So what are your instructions?

Unfortunately, the logic of "listening to my body" is not always sound. Most of us "listened to our bodies" and ended up hundreds of pounds overweight. Addiction to any substance, including (or maybe especially) food is when you can't recognize there is a problem with the behaviour. Feeling like it's probably okay because you want to do it. Addiction is a problem where your body tells you there is no problem, when there clearly is.

In my case, my surgeon had me on Clear Liquids only up until day 8. For me, that means Water. Lots of Water. But just water or broth. I don't need artificial sweeteners revving up my sugar cravings because I have eliminated sweets from my diet.

Day 8 is starting full liquids. Anything that is the consistency that could be suked through a straw. So water, Protein shakes and broth.< /p>

I was sleeved 9 days ago, and sausages and eggs will not be on the menu until Dec 12, assuming I have no problems with the intermittent stages and require staying on puréed foods longer.

As far as vomiting goes, avoiding vomiting is part of the reason for transitioning slowly onto solid foods. It goes without saying that vomiting should not be a part of your daily routine or considered normal.

Eating foods that will promote vomiting afterwards sounds an awful lot like a form of bulimia.

You should follow the plan your surgeon laid out for you. On my plan, scrambled eggs didn't come in until Week 4 post-op, and something like turkey sausage wouldn't be allowed until after Week 8. At Day 8 post-op, I was still on Clear Liquids.< /p>

Four weeks of full liquids, then I can progress to soft foods. Asked my surgeon about eggs at 2 week visit and he said no. You are still at risk for leaks 3 weeks out........would do nothing to jeopardize this!

What do the rules say about eating soft foods so early after surgery? I would assume that you are on full liquids, or maybe at most on pureed foods. If you don't know where you should be on your plan, call your Surgeon or NUT

...I've been listening to my body and obeying the rules...

...I've been listening to my body and obeying the rules...

My surgeon has probably the most laid-back diet advancement plan I've seen, and I wasn't cleared for anything like that for over a month.

My instructions:

Full liquid (plus yogurt, pudding, etc. so long as there was no fruit/chunks) - 2 weeks.

Purees starting @2 weeks and progressing to soft foods as tolerated - 2 weeks. So the end of the 3rd week to the 4th week was my first opportunity for eggs. Though my surgeon said that she has a lot of people who can't tolerate eggs that early. I couldn't until I was on solid foods for a couple of weeks. During this period I could start trying ground beef, tuna, shredded chicken, etc. but only after I'd worked up to it through purees and softer food.

After 4 weeks I was cleared for a full diet, but was cautioned to add foods from soft/moist end first, working my way SLOWLY up to the harder/drier foods. I was warned that some meats like steak might not be tolerable for much longer. I had a egg/sausage/cheese taquito at about 6 weeks working through this plan.

Most surgeons have a much stricter and slower food progression. I'd be utterly amazed if your surgeon would approve anything like this at 8 days post.

Sure, if that is what your plan calls for. Every surgeon's plan is different. Personally, I was still on full liquids. It's best to follow your plan, they gave it to you for a reason.

Sure, if that is what your plan calls for. Every surgeon's plan is different. Personally, I was still on full liquids. It's best to follow your plan, they gave it to you for a reason.

well said!!!

My surgeon barely gave me a diet plan to begin with. He said crackers were okay from day 2 so I didn't think eggs was a big deal. (Didn't eat any crackers though).

My surgeon has been out of town my entire week post op. I wanted to see him and ask him lots of questions but he isn't around.

Yes, I got sleeved in the U.S.

My surgeon barely gave me a diet plan to begin with. He said crackers were okay from day 2 so I didn't think eggs was a big deal. (Didn't eat any crackers though).

My surgeon has been out of town my entire week post op. I wanted to see him and ask him lots of questions but he isn't around.

Yes, I got sleeved in the U.S.

So you don't have a nutritionist available to you through your surgeon's practice?

As a nurse, I'm appalled at the thought of surgeons doing a major stomach surgery without giving a list of approved foods to eat at the very least until the first check-up appointment (which should be 1 week post, 2 weeks post at the very outside). The stomach has to be given a chance to let the incision heal, and the progression to a regular diet needs to allow the stomach to get used to processing food with the new configuration. I encourage everyone out there to demand, prior to surgery, at the very least a list of allowable foods for the first 2 weeks post, and a general roadmap of how the surgeon likes to see people move to a solid "regular" diet.