Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

??? about long term effect of lap banding

I just got through listening to a Dr. Robert Rutledge video on Failed Lap Band: 10 years later. He states that after coming on the scene in Europe 10 years ago, the surgeons that were do 20 lap banding to every 1 gastic bypass is now doing 1 lap banding to every 4 gastic bypass done.:) With the lap banding begin only approved around five years ago here in America, he voiced that he is seeing more and more increase failure of the lap banding with each year from implantation.

I have not had my lap banding yet. I am going to a seminar on the 17th. Did your surgeons go into any information regarding the long time effect of the lap banding with you?:help:

Dr. Rutledge is a complete joke. He has a poor reputation, other docs laugh at him, and he'll tell you anything you want to hear if it will get you to do the unproven MGB.

Whatever he says, it's likely wrong.

Thank you for your response. I know that you have to be very careful upon researching to not get be clouded with opinionate information. B) I know you guys probably have heard of this doctor. I have talked with a plastic surgeon that I work with whom gave me encouraging news of really good new statisitics that has come out concerning the lap banding. He is going to get me the article. I am looking forward to the seminar that I am going to attend on 9/17. I am 5'6'' at 242 pounds with a BMI of 39.:omg: I turned 44 today and a new person is coming out.

I am so glad I have found this site. I have learned alot just reading the one on one experiences from individuals that I feel will be guided me down the same road you have just traveled.:car:

Happy birthday!!!!!!!! And most of all, congrats on making a decision to do something regarding weight issues. It's not easy for any of us to realize the time has come for medical intervention of some sort.

Whatever procedure you choose, just research the heck out of it, get everyone's opinions, and then verify everything you have heard. Research, research, research and do what is right for you.

Again, happy birthday!

I know when I was researching the lapband vs. gastric bypass I had my father in law look into statistics for me. He is a doctor and was part of the commitee who approves new procedures. Anyways basically what he told me was that to lose weight both procedures do well. With the gastric bypass you tend to lose weight a little more quickly but in the long run lapbanders tend to catch up with their weight loss. Also he was more in favor of the lapband due to complication rate, nutrition ect. I also told him about the dr on youtube saying to get gastric bypass instead of lapband. He said that for a dr to put that on you tube was very unprofessional. And of course who knows what the people were like that the lapband didn't work for them. Maybe they expected it to do all the work. I also noticed on youtube that the only video's that were anti lapband where posted by that dr. Good luck on your research and I am sure whatever decision you make it will be the right decision for you.

He said that for a dr to put that on you tube was very unprofessional.

Word to that. The dude is advertising himself on YOUTUBE for crissakes! Not to mention that his "informational" videos have a heavy dose of alarmist propaganda to them.

I saw that dr. rutledge's video too. Since I was trying to do my research, it kinda freaked me out and then just bummed me out...But I continued to search & re-search. Things became more and more positive. I was convinced enough to set a surgery date (Oct. 31, 2007). One of the most reassuring bits of info, was a medical study out of Italy, following lap banders out 12 years...the stats were good enough for me to feel comfortable "going for it"!

One of the most reassuring bits of info, was a medical study out of Italy, following lap banders out 12 years...the stats were good enough for me to feel comfortable "going for it"!

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that study, would you? I'm still in research mode.

I wouldnt put much credence in a doctor that put this up on youtube.

But still, consider this. We are ALL taking a leap of faith on this one. We do not know what the long term success rate will be and that's the honest truth.

I do know I"m healthy, happy and thin and if I get ten years of that before my band explodes my innards and I balloon to 113kg again, I'll take it. Its not invasive - I mean they barely open you up and slip something around your stomach, they're not dicing and carving your organs, changing your body's functions etc etc. I really considered it a safe enough thing to take the risk on. And its worked so far and I've done my utmost to learn better habits. I could lose my band and I wont stop my daily running, I can tell you that, even if I cant tell you what will happen to my appetite.

I searched for the link for a while last night before I even posted on this board, so that I could include it, but couldn't remember how I got there...I'm not giving up, I'll still search for it and post it as soon as I (if I?) find it.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that study, would you? I'm still in research mode.

Here is a 12 year study from Favretti happy.gif

Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in 1,791 c...[Obes Surg. 2007] - PubMed Result

Obes Surg. 2007 Feb;17(2):168-75.Links

Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in 1,791 consecutive obese patients: 12-year results.

Favretti F, Segato G, Ashton D, Busetto L, De Luca M, Mazza M, Ceoloni A, Banzato O, Calo E, Enzi G.

Department of Surgery, Regional Hospital - Vicenza, Italy. ffavret@tin.it

BACKGROUND: This study examines 1,791 consecutive laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) procedures with up to 12 years follow-up. Long-term results of LAGB with a high follow-up rate are not common. METHODS: Between September 1993 and December 2005, 1,791 consecutive patients (75.1% women, mean age 38.7 years, mean weight 127.7 +/- 24 kg, mean BMI 46.2 +/- 7.7) underwent LAGB by the same surgical team. Perigastric dissection was used in 77.8% of the patients, while subsequently pars flaccida was used in 21.5% and a mixed approach in 0.8%. Data were analyzed according to co-morbidities, conversion, short- and long-term complications and weight loss. Fluoroscopy-guided band adjustments were performed and patients received intensive follow-up. The effects of LAGB on life expectancy were measured in a case/control study involving 821 surgically-treated patients versus 821 treated by medical therapy. RESULTS: Most common baseline co-morbidities (%) were hypertension (35.6), osteoarthritis (57.8), diabetes (22), dyslipidemia (27.1), sleep apnea syndrome (31.4), depression (21.2), sweet eating (22.5) and binge eating (18.5). Conversion to open was 1.7%: due to technical difficulties (1.2) and due to intraoperative complications (0.5). Together with the re-positioning of the band, additional surgery was performed in 11.9% of the patients: hiatal hernia repair (2.4), cholecystectomy (7.8) and other procedures (1.7). There was no mortality. Reoperation was required in 106 patients (5.9%): band removal 55 (3.7%), band repositioning 50 (2.7 %), and other 1 (0.05 %). Port-related complications occurred in 200 patients (11.2%). 41 patients (2.3%) underwent further surgery due to unsatisfactory results: removal of the band in 12 (0.7%), biliopancreatic diversion in 5 (0.27%) and a biliopancreatic diversion with gastric preservation ("bandinaro") in 24 (1.3%). Weight in kg was 103.7 +/- 21.6, 102.5 +/- 22.5, 105.0 +/- 23.6, 106.8 +/- 24.3, 103.3 +/- 26.2 and 101.4 +/- 27.1 at 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 years after LAGB. BMI at the same intervals was 37.7 +/- 7.1, 37.2 +/- 7.2, 38.1 +/- 7.6, 38.5 +/- 7.9, 37.5 +/- 8.5 and 37.7 +/- 9.1. The case/control study found a statistically significant difference in survival in favor of the surgically-treated group. CONCLUSIONS: LAGB can achieve effective, safe and stable long-term weight loss. In experienced hands, the complication rate is low. Follow-up is paramount.

PMID: 17476867 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]