Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you guys handle being around food you want but can't have? I'm having a very hard time with this. I'm 21 years old and I had the sleeve on 10/7. My family always has dinner together and it's so hard to sit at the dinner table and eat for instance, Soup while everyone else is having steak, pork chops or chicken cutlets. Idk how I'm going to get past this

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It gets better.

Sent from my 5054N using the BariatricPal App

Learning how to exist around food that you can't (or shouldn't) have is a mental exercise that takes work and determination. You are always going to be around food (or even other things) and you will always have to make the decision about whether you should have it or not and then do what you have to do.

I think this entire journey is much more mental than it is physical. I don't think there really is any perfect answer. I have just chosen to embrace what I know I need to do to be successful and not cut myself off from life as I do it. And that means that I drink Water when my friends are drinking alcohol, and I eat whatever I am allowed to eat or I don't eat anything at all in situations where everyone is eating whatever they want to eat. It isn't easy, but it is worth it to move toward my goal.

Good luck!

How do you guys handle being around food you want but can't have? I'm having a very hard time with this. I'm 21 years old and I had the sleeve on 10/7. My family always has dinner together and it's so hard to sit at the dinner table and eat for instance, Soup while everyone else is having steak, pork chops or chicken cutlets. Idk how I'm going to get past this

Keep reminding yourself why you had WLS. Write a list of all the great things you want to do once you've lost weight and go over it at times you need inspiration. Remember that this is temporary. You can enjoy food again - just healthy choices and smaller portions. Picture new clothes you want to buy - maybe to wear to something special. If it's really difficult now - skip dinner with the family. I would hope they'd understand. Stay strong!!!! I admire you doing this so young - you're really giving yourself a chance at a wonderful life!!! I know it's probably more difficult for you but it really will be worth it!!!

My husband and I were sleeved three years ago. We go everywhere and socialize a lot. We just went to a family function and I cooked Mac and cheese, cheese grits, we had grilled ribs, salad and fresh mustard greens. I really enjoyed the fresh mustard greens and never felt deprived. I am thankful the sleeve allows me and my husband to enjoy events, and not to eat through events. This is serious surgery and you need to get in the game. Take your favorite food to a family function and enjoy it! Also, I sometimes drink a Protein Shake a couple hours before going somewhere and make sure I am not starving! Good luck! Never feel deprived, get a mindset that you are winning this race!

Keep reminding yourself why you had WLS. Write a list of all the great things you want to do once you've lost weight and go over it at times you need inspiration. Remember that this is temporary. You can enjoy food again - just healthy choices and smaller portions. Picture new clothes you want to buy - maybe to wear to something special. If it's really difficult now - skip dinner with the family. I would hope they'd understand. Stay strong!!!! I admire you doing this so young - you're really giving yourself a chance at a wonderful life!!! I know it's probably more difficult for you but it really will be worth it!!!

It is extremely difficult. And thank you for all the kind words❤️

@itzbrittaanyx3- Three weeks after surgery, I had to attend a work formal dinner. I'm seated next to a potential First Lady...and I can't eat. I just worked it out with the banquet staff to get me Soup. They were very accommodating. Yes, I wanted the filet, but I knew I had to stick with the program. It was fine. No one noticed.

Now, in your case, this MIGHT be a clue to some emotional eating issues. Worth discussing with yourself. Is food=family good times? Are there other issues related to this? Your first month is an emotional adjustment. It is a gift to relook at the behaviors that got you to the point of WLS. At this point you are the "pig." (The joke is at an egg and bacon Breakfast, what's the difference between a chicken and a pig? The chicken contributes to the meal, but the pig is committed).

So you are in this and committed at this point. But you are getting conflicted feelings and feeling deprived. This is a signal that something is going on. Your mission, find out what it is. My $.02.

I made this meal 5 days after my sleeve. We had a bunch of people over and I smoked and bbq'ed. Part of why I did this was to to show myself that I didn't need food to be happy and enjoy an event. 2016-09-04%2022.23.27_zpsymyxlw90.jpg

I made this meal 5 days after my sleeve. We had a bunch of people over and I smoked and bbq'ed. Part of why I did this was to to show myself that I didn't need food to be happy and enjoy an event. 2016-09-04%2022.23.27_zpsymyxlw90.jpg

GOOD JOB. There is life after surgery.

Thanks! My wife and I love to cook. I always take off the entire week of Thanksgiving just so we can prepare and enjoy making all of the various dishes that we make. We usually have 15-20 people over in our 1300 sqft home and we love every minute of it!

Thanks! My wife and I love to cook. I always take off the entire week of Thanksgiving just so we can prepare and enjoy making all of the various dishes that we make. We usually have 15-20 people over in our 1300 sqft home and we love every minute of it!

LIFE DOES NOT END AFTER THE SLEEVE. IT BEGINS.

I find 6 months out it's easy I have what they are having but a tiny amount as its healthy if on a rare occasion were having pizza i have my one piece no more and that's it I'm full anyway

It doesn't have to change everything you can have pork chops and steak eventually they aren't bad for you unless you have trouble digesting them I do not have any issues with anything I'm lucky

Don't look at it like it's all over but the journey is just beginning and it's true nothing tastes as good as skinny feels that thought stops me thinking about bad things when those thoughts creep in

Sent from my iPhone

I cooked for my family since about my 4th day home from the hospital and its definitely a test of self control! I didn't always eat with them though, sometimes I would cook then go do something else while they ate, once I was allowed solid food again I eat the non-carby, Protein items.... My kids are used to it now they just say "oh you can't have it, huh" lol

I cooked for my family since about my 4th day home from the hospital and its definitely a test of self control! I didn't always eat with them though, sometimes I would cook then go do something else while they ate, once I was allowed solid food again I eat the non-carby, Protein items.... My kids are used to it now they just say "oh you can't have it, huh" lol

Lol, my granddaughter says the samething. Grandma, you cant have it.....lol but ive heard so many different stories between this group and in person at our group from the drs office anything off track, i feel is going to stretch my new stomach. If i could only get around this pain if i eat anything over 4 baby spoonfuls, i could probably get in more calories and get my Proteins in. But because of the pain i cant. Anyone else?

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App