Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost done with all of my medical clearances

I've been reading about everyone's journey and am so happy to hear and see amazing transformations.
I'm seeing Dr. Neff who is absolutely amazing! I've completed my primary care clearance, cardiology clearance, radiologist clearance, pulmonology clearance, lab work clearance and lastly have completed 1 of 3 dietician visits.

I have the following clearances remaining for this week - 2 dietician visits (both scheduled this week), endoscopy clearance (Thursday 10/20) and psychological clearance (tomorrow). By the end of this week I should have everything in at Dr. Neff's office and in 2 weeks have a surgery date. I'm beyond excited and can't wait for next steps.

Did anyone else have to go through all of the above visits. I feel like some people had fewer requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by NJ1980

Yikes! When I asked my surgeon (Neff) why the need for all of these visits, he told me that they always check anything and everything before scheduling surgery. I guess you can never be too sure. :/

I had 4 Visits with my Dr. 30 days apart. Psychological and Pulmonologist clearance were my only requirements.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I had to go through 6 months of classes visits with nutrition testing Phych labs ultrasounds u name it before I could even see the surgeon. I finally see him next week!!

I have to do the initial consult, an upper GI x-ray, 3 dietitian meetings, 4 support group meetings, a psych eval (possibly more if the psych deems it necessary), bloodwork, an online tutorial, upper endoscopy, a PCP consult, and a cardiologist consult. Phew, that's a lot! But it's definitely going to keep me busy and the time will fly. When it's all done, I'll get my surgery date!

Good luck! I'm glad you get to meet with your surgeon soon!! :)

I had to do 6 consecutive months of doctor-supervised diet and exercise with my primary care doc, one nutritionist meeting, a psych eval, a meeting with a nurse practitioner from the surgeon's office, get a letter of recommendation from my PCP, write my own letter about why I felt like I needed the surgery, and meet with the surgeon before any of my info was submitted to insurance.

Now that I've been approved by insurance and a date has been set, I'll have four hours of nutrition workshops and a support group meeting about a month before surgery. Two weeks before the surgery date I'll have bloodwork (including an arterial blood gas which I'm not looking forward to), chest x-ray, abdominal ultrasound, a physical and health history with an NP from the surgeon's office, and another meeting with the surgeon to go over the hospital stay and early recovery.

Thank you! I'm very excited, I told both of my kids who are 9 and 11 yesterday. They took it very well.

It can't hurt to check everything! Good Luck

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I didn't have to do the 6 month route. I went to my seminar on september 14, 2016 (day after birthday), saw the doctor the following week, got all of the necessary information from the doctor and am finishing up this week. Best of luck to you!!

I had to go through 6 months of classes visits with nutrition testing Phych labs ultrasounds u name it before I could even see the surgeon. I finally see him next week!!

I had to that all of that except support groups and online tutorial. I've already met with my surgeon. I meet him again once all necessary clearances have been sent to him super excited!!!!

I have to do the initial consult, an upper GI x-ray, 3 dietitian meetings, 4 support group meetings, a psych eval (possibly more if the psych deems it necessary), bloodwork, an online tutorial, upper endoscopy, a PCP consult, and a cardiologist consult. Phew, that's a lot! But it's definitely going to keep me busy and the time will fly. When it's all done, I'll get my surgery date!

Good luck! I'm glad you get to meet with your surgeon soon!! :)

I didn't have to do the 6 month route. I went to my seminar on september 14, 2016 (day after birthday), saw the doctor the following week, got all of the necessary information from the doctor and am finishing up this week. Best of luck to you!!

Did your insurance require 6 months or did your doctor? What's an arterial blood gas? I wonder if I have to do that during my hospital mandated blood work? I did the normal blood work and that came back normal.

I had to do 6 consecutive months of doctor-supervised diet and exercise with my primary care doc, one nutritionist meeting, a psych eval, a meeting with a nurse practitioner from the surgeon's office, get a letter of recommendation from my PCP, write my own letter about why I felt like I needed the surgery, and meet with the surgeon before any of my info was submitted to insurance.

Now that I've been approved by insurance and a date has been set, I'll have four hours of nutrition workshops and a support group meeting about a month before surgery. Two weeks before the surgery date I'll have bloodwork (including an arterial blood gas which I'm not looking forward to), chest x-ray, abdominal ultrasound, a physical and health history with an NP from the surgeon's office, and another meeting with the surgeon to go over the hospital stay and early recovery.

Did your insurance require 6 months or did your doctor? What's an arterial blood gas? I wonder if I have to do that during my hospital mandated blood work? I did the normal blood work and that came back normal.

The 6 months was an insurance requirement. Not sure if the surgeon's practice had any sort of requirement like that - as far as I know, their only requirement was a seminar at the very beginning of the process. I went to that so long ago I forgot to mention it, ha.

An arterial blood gas runs tests on blood pulled from an artery vs a vein. I think the point is to see how well your lungs are functioning by measuring the oxygen vs. carbon dioxide in your blood? I've never had any abnormal bloodwork either, so I guess it's just a standard test my surgeon (or the anesthesiologist) requires.