Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second thoughts, op next week :(

Hi,

Im having a band next week, but having second thoughts, as although i do overeat its mostly sugar and chocolate. Ive read that you still can eat chocolate after the op, so just wondered if its worth the pain if im still going to pig out on sugar:(

No its not worth it if you're still going to pig out on sugar. The point is to have a tool to help you change your eating habits, reduce your intake and to eat healthy. If that is not your intention, why have surgery?

Edited by cbonet

If you eat the same after surgery, you will not lose weight and might end up in worse shape. Why worse shape? You can become dehydrated and deficient in Vitamins and end up in the hospital. After surgery you have to do low carb, high Protein and drink fluids. If you want sugar and chocolate dont bother because you will not succeed.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Hi,

Im having a band next week, but having second thoughts, as although i do overeat its mostly sugar and chocolate. Ive read that you still can eat chocolate after the op, so just wondered if its worth the pain if im still going to pig out on sugar:(

Hi, I had lap band 4 years ago ( FYI...This is just my experience and doesn't reflect on what others have went thru or what you might) The first year was ok, however I never found my sweet spot or "Green Zone" I have had complications for almost the whole time I have had the band such as throwing up, food intolerance, band to tight to loose lots of maintaining and additional cost meaning the fills etc. I have had heartburn and can fill the band inside of my stomach. I will say this has hindered my weight loss as eating a regulated diet has been hard and inconsistent because I really can only eat what my band allows me to eat. The reason I went with the band was because I was self pay and that's what I could afford and also the doctors office manipulated it that way because I originally had been in the process to have sleeve because I thought my insurance was going to cover it however two months in it turned out that was not the case and I was desperate for anything to help get my weight off and to live a healthy life. Now, present day I will be having revision surgery to take the band out and have the sleeve done { do to complications}

My band has slipped from the years of the food getting trapped constant throwing up and also I again have a hernia. I think the sleeve is the best way to go for me. I like that it is permanent and they also cut out the hunger hormone which will make you not have an appetite although it will start reproducing itself, but not for almost a year. With the band I am still always hungry and always have been.. Yes, both hungry hungry and head hungry that's the biggest fight the gnawing head hunger lol.....You have get yourself as mentally prepared as possible and know there has to be a lifestyle change in order to be a healthy you. We are all humans and make mistakes my biggest fault is I am to hard on myself and i give up and give into addition which is food i know and am aware of that, I am no longer in denial about it no more excuses for me this time will be different I am fingers crossed picking the right surgery that won't have all the complications such as the band did and will go to support groups as well as go to counseling. You still have time research your options and find resources to help with your addition... if you have weighed out the pro and cons and are sure the band is what you want go for it!!!!! but if you haven't please do more research there is time to change your mind on what surgery will be best.....I wish I would of and I didn't this time I have weighed out all options pro and cons and have ask many questions to make sure the sleeve will help be the best tool in order for me to be the best me. Like I said this is my personal experience and thoughts, I don't in anyway want you to back out of having the surgery because of it!!!!! Everything happends for a reason and I am more mentally prepared than I ever was;)

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

@@lisaloop123, are you serious? If you really do plan to continue eating as you've been accustomed, don't waste your time with surgery. Don't waste the surgeon's time or anyone else's time. It's your choice-decision.

If you want to lose weight, go ahead with surgery and do your work. There's no law that will require you to eat sugar and choklit. It may be that something has just upset you and shaken your confidence in your ability to develop a new outlook and new habits. There are many options for learning to deal with unruly emotions.

If you need more time to sort out why you pursued surgery and want[ed] to lose weight, get busy. Pen and paper.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

WLS success requires a different way of thinking and living. It can be life changing if you allow it to be.

You HAVE to work with it and it sounds like you may have to sort some things out in your head before you proceed.

I have worked with a counselor after my surgery years ago and found it a luxury and really helpful.

Best of luck for a healthy future, whatever you decide.