Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dietitian/Trainer question- I need some advice FAST

Ok, so i've decided to begin a lifting program. At this point, I have attempted several options but it has proven to be a bit complicated!

So here is the dilemma:

My original surgeon does not take my current insurance, nor does the dietitian. i WAS going to go to them, and pay out of pocket, dietitian alone is about $250 for one session. Additionally, the dietitian that was there when I had my surgery is now gone, and there is a new one who wouldn't know me at all.

I saw a new surgeon affiliated with my insurance and although he didn't have much to offer me, he does have a dietitian that I can see. There is still SOME cost, with my co-pay/deductible. I have appointment for next week but not sure if I should keep it, again this person doesn't know me at all either.

Lastly, my family belongs to the local YMCA. They have some trainers (I think maybe college students), and they do have a dietitian. He is only available every couple weeks by appointment. Even though we belong to the facility, it would still be a fee to see him (in the neighborhood of $150 for a 1-hour session with him and 3-30 minute sessions with a trainer. It's sort of a package deal.

So my dilemma is: will the bariatric dietitian be able to give me the necessary guidance I need to know WHAT to eat as I begin a weight training program, and if not then who should I see? I don't know if a registered dietitian affiliated with my Y would know enough about bariatric surgery and specifically size restriction (i can only eat 1 cup at a time) to be able to work with me. Also, is it wiser to just go ahead and buy some sessions with the trainers at the Y or is it worth the money to invest in an actual personal trainer for a few months?

VERY VERY VERY CONFUSED, need some guidance quickly as I need to make/cancel appointments. Any suggestions very much appreciated!!!

I think I'd want to go to the dietician associated with the surgeon you are now seeing for follow up at least once to see how you get on and to see what sort of advice they favor.

if it isn't a good fit, try out the Y. but I think it is unlikely that the Y will have experience with your bariatric needs.

Honestly, all those option suck. Are you near U of Mich? Or Mich State?

Anyone can be a certified personal train for a $400-600. It doesn't require any real training. Most of the personal trainers at chain gyms and the Y are just going to show you how to use the equipment and a few basic things. They are going to give you an eating plan that is 40-60% carbs, with whole grains and blah blah.

Depending on how far out from surgery you are, you don't really have different requirements from anyone else training. You won't be able to eat in excess calories to gain muscle, but you can eat your Protein high enough to main your current muscle mass which should be your goal. Burning fat and keeping as much muscle as possible. Everyone losing fat is going to lose some muscle just because your body doesn't need that muscle to carry around all that extra fat and you can't eat excessive calories need for gains.

Knowing your exact lean muscle mass, with a DEXA scan or similar can make it easier to set your Protein needs.

Even though you can't eat large amounts at once, you can eat protein in amounts that give you 20-30 grams at a time, and if you need to you can eat 4-5 times a day, spaced 2-3 hours apart.

If you are healed and taking your Vitamins and had the sleeve, your needs aren't that different from anyone else, except limited capacity and inability to eat in excess.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

No, not really near either. a couple hours travel to each. I just feel abandoned in this whole journey because i don't have my doc, i don't have my NUT, i don't have a doctor who can offer my anything further as far as getting weight loss going again, i don't have a good exercise regimen, i DO have a Y that was happy to take my money and won't return my phone calls, i have access to a support group that again, is not affiliated with my doctor, and i have all of you here.

so I really need some direction.

"Dietitians" that hang out in gyms, as a rule, know nothing about bariatric surgery patients or life long obesity. They usually tell you things like, you need to eat more, you need to eat more carbs, here, eat a Peanut Butter sandwich, have some crackers, drink this "gainer" Protein Shake, blah blah blah. I would rather have no advice than have advice from a typical gym-based "dietitian."

If they can show paperwork that they are a Registered Dietitian (NOT a nutritionist), preferably with a certificate in counseling bariatric surgery patients, I would listen to them. Otherwise I would run fast and far away.