Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctors in Minnesota

Guest jasminesymone

Guest jasminesymone

Hi I am new to the post and wondered if anyone could tell me where in the Saint Paul are that I could have the Lap Band done? Thank you for your help.

Please check www.inamed.com . That's the official website for the Lapband. They should have a list of doctors in your area. Then contact the drs. individually to get correct information. Good luck!

Great suggestion New Hope. I had my surgery done with Dr. Ikramuddin at the University Fairview. I think he's a fantastic surgeon.

I attended a seminar at Abbot Northwestern but they were pretty much into the RNY. They do do lapbands.

I know Dr. Lederer (sp?) at HCMC is a big fan of the band. He trained under Dr. Ikramuddin.

Good luck!

Megan

Guest jasminesymone

Thank you guys so much, I really do want to have this surgery. Also I was wondering have any of you had problems with your family not supporting you with the decision to go ahead with the surgery? My family is so against me doing this they all say do it naturally, but I have tried everything and I am sorry tired of disappointment.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? How old are you? How tall are you, your current weight, your BMI? How much weight do you want to lose? Do you have any co-morbidities (weight related health problems)? Who are you wanting to be your band dr. and where will you be banded?

Research, research, research, before you even schedule your initial consult. Be sure that you are aware of all the different aspects of the band.

You can go to www.inamed.com and download a copy of the patient's handbook. It explains everything from a to z. Also forums like this have a wealth of information. Do a search through several old posts and you will find answers to just about anything that you (or your family) would like to know. The more informed you are, the better your chances are of being a successful bandster. If you've chosed to tell your family about the band, then be sure that you give them plenty of information so they will understand how the band works. The band does not alter your anatomy, like the RNY. You will not lose weight as quickly as the RNY, giving you time to adjust to the physical and mental changes taking place within you.

Most bandsters have tried to lose weight on their own, some have lost huge amounts of weight. But, unfortunately, it always returns, bringing more than we originally started out with. It takes a lot of courage to say you need help with WL and then work with your band. It is not an easy fix. The band gives us the boost in the right direction, to eat less and feel full longer. But we have to be able to do the head work (the hardest part). We have to make wise food choices, exercise regularly, avoid excessive starches and sweets, for this to work. If a person makes bad food choices all the time(ex. excessive soft foods, like puddings, ice cream, starches), it is possible to eat around the band and gain weight. Best of luck to you!

Guest jasminesymone

Well I am 20 years old, I stand 5 feet 8 inches and I weight 265. I really want to lose about 120 lbs. I have done so much research on the surgery that I dont think that there is anything else that I can learn, except from other personal experience. I have no idea yet at this time who I want to be my band dr. I am on a very tight time schudele as to when I have to have this surgery by for insurance reasons. I cant seem to find a dr that can due this surgery within my time allowed. Any suggestions?

Hi there...having to have the surgery in a tight time frame is not an easy thing to do. You can try letting the surgeon's office know and they can possibly get you in if there is a cancelation. You might try some of the doctors in Crosby up North- they are relatively new and this summer their time frame was really fast. I don't know if your insurance covers it up there, but that's about the only thing I can think of. There are people who are waiting for a year just to get into the seminar to start the ball rolling. Good luck!

Megan

Hi, welcome. I am having my surgery next Wednesday, 12/15, at Abbott Northwestern in Minneapolis. They have an excellent pre-op program and I have learned alot from their classes and educational programs. I called my insurance company and told them what surgery I wanted and if it was covered. When they confirmed it was covered, I asked for local hospitals, surgeons who were in their plans. I made my choice from their list. There were many to chose from. I would recommend that course of action so you know up front before you start attending classes that their work is covered.

Best of luck to you in your search. It is an amazing process of learning. Take care. Theresa Marie

I , myself have never heard of having to wait a year to get into a seminar. I just called last week for Park Nicollet Clinic in St Louis Park, Minnesota and was able to get in to the seminar within a few days.

I just had my surgery last week at Park Nicollet with Dr. Weatherille. They are completely organized and it is an easy and informational process all the way from the initial seminar to surgery. I have loved the Park Nicollet system and Dr. W and would highly recommend them.

As for getting the surgery done quickly, all of the well respected programs in the twin cities have a process you have to go through including psych evals, visit with nutritionists and physical therapy, as well as a visit with the surgeon - all of this happens before you schedule your surgery date. Also, some insurance programs require 6 months of medically supervised diets...not really a "tight timeline"

Good luck with your journey!

hi, i am new here. i trying to get the lapband but going though everthing is unreal. i haven't seen a Doctor yet and i started going though the steps last july.

The first thing you should do is call your insurance company to see if they cover it and where they will cover it. My company wouldn't cover it at Deer river or Crosby which are close to me but they will cover it in St Cloud so that's where I'm going. I started this in Feb and I'm just finished with all the pre approval stuff and now I wait to hear if I'm approved.

I just had my surgery last week at Park Nicollet with Dr. Weatherille. They are completely organized and it is an easy and informational process all the way from the initial seminar to surgery. I have loved the Park Nicollet system and Dr. W and would highly recommend them.

As for getting the surgery done quickly, all of the well respected programs in the twin cities have a process you have to go through including psych evals, visit with nutritionists and physical therapy, as well as a visit with the surgeon - all of this happens before you schedule your surgery date. Also, some insurance programs require 6 months of medically supervised diets...not really a "tight timeline"

Good luck with your journey!

Anna-couldn't agree more with you about PNC. Their bariatric clinic is top notch. I had my surgery with Dr. Jones almost 1 yr ago and have had nothing but great things to say about them.