Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Trouble Being Positive

I had my surgery on Friday, 09/16 at Robert Wood Johnson. They released me five hours later. My surgery was at eight AM and I was out the door at three. They did not put any dressing on my stitches and seemed reluctant to give me a second copy of my discharge paperwork.

I never saw the surgeon after the surgery. I only saw his PA briefly beforehand.

Fever set in on Saturday along with terrible nausea and stomach spasms. We left five messages with the service over several hours before I left a hysterical one saying I was going back to the hospital. I got a call back saying anti-spasm medication would be called in for me. It was. Another two hours later.

I know part of my vicious nausea was a reaction to anesthesia, but I'm so horrified about the fast discharge and lack of communication with either the doctor or the hospital I think I need to find another doctor to follow up with from here on out. My friend is having the surgery with the same physician's office in a month and I want to tell her no. Do not do it. Find someone else.

For what it's worth I tried to be an ideal patient. I lost 26 pounds between my mid July meeting with the surgeon and my mid-September surgery date. What should I tell my friend? She's nervous and may not have it done if I'm too vehemently against it. She referred to me as her guinea pig. I don't want to deny her the life altering positive side effects but I can't even articulate how little I want to go back to the physician

Edited by TinyLittleFractures

You had a terrible experience with a terrible surgeon (at least bedside manner) and terrible communication from the hospital. I would encourage your friend to either make it perfectly clear what kind of care and aftercare she is expecting from her surgeon and to clearly communicate those concerns, and if she still feels too uncomfortable after your experience to find another surgeon elsewhere. Yes, it may delay things a bit, but if she's wanting a more positive experience than what you had, it's worth the delay.

I was in and out of the hospital within 8 hours with no problem, a fast discharge, no dressings, just 3 small pieces of tape. I did not see the surgeon after surgery because he is very busy operating certain days of the week, back to back. If I had fever after any surgery I would be at the ER for precautionary reasons! Sometimes we all need to follow our gut instincts when we feel something is wrong. I hope you feel better soon. Our surgeon actually was told by us to get us in and out quickly before we got staph infection or MRSA. Good luck.

TinyLittleFracture, an afterthought. If your overall experience with this surgeon has been good, I would rethink finding another doctor and telling your friend how you were unhappy after surgery. I would make an immediate appointment with him and tell him exactly how you feel. It might make a complete difference. I once did this with an obnoxious orthopedic surgeon, and even though it did not change my mind about him, I at least let him know how obnoxious I thought he was. It gave me saris faction listening to his feeble apology.

Why would they release you from the hospital after just five hours? My insurance requires that I spend at least one night. Going home the same day just sounds like a bad idea.

Has this been the experience of others? (Please excuse if this is an ignorant question. I thought a one-night stay was the norm, and I am curious if a same-day discharge is actually common...)

Why would they release you from the hospital after just five hours? My insurance requires that I spend at least one night. Going home the same day just sounds like a bad idea.

Has this been the experience of others? (Please excuse if this is an ignorant question. I thought a one-night stay was the norm, and I am curious if a same-day discharge is actually common...)

Yes, believe it or not I have heard of this being an outpatient surgery.

Kind of boggles the mind, really.

She is saying 7 hours, not 5. I was in the hospital about 8 hours total outpatient. Pretty common for a lot of people.

Yes, believe it or not I have heard of this being an outpatient surgery.

Kind of boggles the mind, really.

That's nuts. I know most of us have a love/hate relationship with medical insurance most of the time, but I am certainly thankful for mine. I'm freaked out enough about my surgery next week when I stay the night after. I can't imagine having to go home a few hours later.

I was in the hospital from a Wednesday to that Friday. My Surgeon saw me in the hospital once after Surgery and called me once at the hospital. I LOVE my Surgeon. I'm sorry for your bad experience, hopefully you can either find a new surgeon or get better care from your current surgeon.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

So I thought I'd update this. I had my one week follow up with the physician's assistant. The surgeon was in the hallway and didn't even say hi but I was over him by that point. They didn't take my vitals -- blood pressure, temperature, etc. The PA only looked at my incisions when I prompted because I'd developed a rash. She said it was due to my presurgical scrub but it came three days after and persisted all through the next week or so and then vanished. Again, not incredibly impressed but whatever.

I had my one month (from my one week post up appointment) follow up and I've lost more than is average for the surgery in that from. She said the range was 7-10 and I hit 11 which was good. This time she examined the incisions without prompting and cleared me for the gym without restriction. Next time I'm getting blood work before to check on things.

I've met with one nutritionalist before the surgery for clearance. She put a tremendous emphasis on the things I'd done wrong in the past and how much my anti-depressants influenced my weight. (I've been off them maybe 10 months now.) So I switched to a new nutritionalist because I didn't think the other one was particularly productive but in retrospect maybe she was focused on giving me tools that would serve without the surgery even though I was there more or less to check off my clearance and get advise for eating pre and post op.

The new nutritionalist was more useful. She focused on what I felt and how I was feeling and gave me a long term plan instead of just where I was at that point in the surgery. She thoughtfully considered my work schedule and my dietery preferences (at the meeting I was over sweet anything. Too long on the shakes pre and post op). I'll be seeing her again in December.

My friend had her surgery. When she went for pretesting had it noted in her chart she did not want to be discharged the same day no matter what. They kept her the full day and offered to keep her a second. She also requested anti-nausea/anti-spasam medication before discharge and had them fill the script for her. She had a much better time of the first week than I did and I'm very happy my experiences gave her a smoother path.

Wow, I'm sorry you had a bad experience!!! I was kept overnight, nothing by mouth until the swallow test the following morning. I was offered a 2nd night if I felt I needed it.

I'm glad it looks like things have turned a new corner for you. Best of luck!!

My sleeve was done as outpatient and I loved it! I spent about 5 hours in recovery but was home and being cared for. My surgeon did call me that night to check on me. I was nervous about it being outpatient but my surgeon gave me anti nausea, anti-spasm, pain and lovenox rx's weeks before surgery so I had access to everything as soon as I came home.

It wasn't traditional but it worked for me. I haven't had any issues with nausea or gas, no vomiting. I did do walking as much as I can stand and my incisions healed pretty well. I was sleeved on 10/06/16.

I am still more afraid of what I can catch in the hospital. Someone next door to me had 20 people visiting with masks on. YIKES!!! Went straight back in my room!!!!

You can file a formal complaint about the care of service. It's a big deal if you do.

Keep in mind, my surgeon (top in ga) had me home within 4 hours and does for all his patients. Butttt he is equipped for this surgery. The support staff was hands down amazing. I saw every surgeon 2 times prior to surgery with a dedicated nurse who called every 3 hours afterwards. I called the on call physician- and he called back within 5 minutes.

The worst feeling is trusting a surgeon who doesn't have the time to treat you like a human. Don't battle your own doc, find one that cares about you not your file.