Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For you Diet Coke addicts [emoji4]

Agree- I've always called my pop "my coffee" and at work I gather at the coffee counter with everybody else, I just have my soda instead of a coffee mug.

However, I DO enjoy a good cup of flavored coffee too!

As far as artificial sweetening- well I am a big fan of Stevia drops for most things. I figure the small amount of artificial sweetening that is in a tiny can of pop is probably not enough to do much- the studies of aspartame and brain dysfunction involved 3-4 LITERS a day.

I think the issue is more the empty calories from regualr sodas. Like I said, I know the artificial crap in Coke Zero or diet soda isn't ideal, either. I also know that there seems to be some studies saying that artifical sweeteners can cause weight gain (the jury is still out on that).

I like my little can of Coke Zero a day. So far I've maintained my weight for a year up or down 5 pounds, so for now it's working for me. When and if it's not, I'll figure it out.

@@LipstickLady has maintained her weight for like 2 years, so it's obviously working for her, too.

What works for me may not work for you. In the mean time, you'll pry my Coke Zero from my cold, dead hands.

;)

I agree. It's a weird conundrum that diet soda is not recommended by most because of artificial sweeteners but drinks' like Crystal Light are. Another argument is the acidity in soda, but it's OK in coffee'? The carbonation argument is phooey. Air won't stretch a sleeve.

I consider my Coke Zero my "cup of coffee'". Same color, same caffeine, same calories. It's just cold instead of hot and I drink it through a straw instead of a mug.

Soda is one of those "no no" words that can trigger bariatric patients. There are so many old wives tales about carbonation and sleeve stretching, it's always going to be a controversial subject.

I made it perfectly clear I think it's bad for me. But I also drink ONE small can a day. And the other 95% of the time I'm a good girl. That balances things out ;)

For me I gave up soda 90+% years ago when I problems with aspartame. I was drinking 2-3 44 ounce Diet Dr Peppers daily. The only time that I have had soda since is when we were camping, hunting, barbecuing and smoking meats. In fact I will be smoking a pork loin and a bunch of salmon today. Henry Weinhard's root beer is certainly in my memory and may perhaps someday be something where I have one on a special occasion.

Well now from the prespective of a RNY peeps!! Just my thoughts. Ifn the carbonation isn't a real thing WHY does all or most of the Weight Loss Surgeon's tell WLS people not to do it? I don't remember if I posted on here yesterday but my exsperence with POP is bad!! I had a headach while we were down town I needed to take some Tylenol for t and my grandson had a Moutain Dew so I ask him if I could have a small sip, well I didn't hardly take any but when it hit my pouch it felt like acid it burned so much. Very uncomfortable. My way of thinking ( now don't get pissed) but we go thru surgery to lose our weight, why would we not follow what our Dr has told us? Any how this is just my thoughts. BTW I am 3 years out and got below my goal weight in 6 months after my WLS. I did gain 8#'s but even this small amount has made me feel so healthy!! Good luck everyone. May you all who hasn't get to your goal weight and be happy and healthy.

Hi - My name is Tom and I am a diet coke addict. Its been 396 days since my last diet coke. Have been managing pretty well with Water, crystal light, and diet Snapple. Don't really have any desire any more for diet coke, or any sodas.

Well now from the prespective of a RNY peeps!! Just my thoughts. Ifn the carbonation isn't a real thing WHY does all or most of the Weight Loss Surgeon's tell WLS people not to do it? I don't remember if I posted on here yesterday but my exsperence with POP is bad!! I had a headach while we were down town I needed to take some Tylenol for t and my grandson had a Moutain Dew so I ask him if I could have a small sip, well I didn't hardly take any but when it hit my pouch it felt like acid it burned so much. Very uncomfortable. My way of thinking ( now don't get pissed) but we go thru surgery to lose our weight, why would we not follow what our Dr has told us? Any how this is just my thoughts. BTW I am 3 years out and got below my goal weight in 6 months after my WLS. I did gain 8#'s but even this small amount has made me feel so healthy!! Good luck everyone. May you all who hasn't get to your goal weight and be happy and healthy.

Well, good for you.

Like I said, my one Coke Zero a day isn't hurting me, either physically or maintenance wise (for now). If it starts having an adverse effect on me, then I'll rethink it. I've got the rest of my life to figure this whole 'living with bariatric surgery' thing out and find what works and what doesn't as I start living life and move away from just being a WLS patient.

My husband, who is 10 years out RNY, can drink a soda once in a while with no issues. He has also kept his weight off going on 9 years. What works for him may not work for you, as what works for you may not work for me.

See how that works?

Pop only bothered me when I was not that far out from surgery. Eventually you get to the point where you can drink it normally and without a straw. I'm back on drinking multiple ones a day. In fact, that's how I start my day.

Well I wasn't saying that my way or the hyway!! I just was giving my opinion. We all need to find what works for ourselves. If I offended any one I'm sorry. As is with everything in life you and I have our own opinions I will continue to not drink Carbonation at all, Be it pop beer or sparkling Water or Champagne. Congratulations to your husband for losing his weight and keeping it off. Also congratulations to you. Keep on keeping on!!

The only coke I plan on having as soon as I can if sniffed thru a rolled up $100 bill....HAHA Joking....I quit soda almost two years ago... the other about 20 years ago!

I am inspired by you that are completely off of it. I am six weeks out and so desperate for a Coke Zero. I don't drink coffee or tea and all the diet Snapple and crystal light are so sweet to me and gross . I think about Coke Zero all the time I am trying hard to last a year and hoping the desire wanes .

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App