Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks post of from a sleeve revision to an RNY. Was it a huge mistake?

I transitioned so well with the sleeve. I seem to be failing at the RNY and I feel myself depressed and with no motivation. I can not get in my Vitamins, my Protein or my fluids daily as required. I am full constantly. I have thrown up twice attempting to take in more. The first time I felt ill afterwards. The second time, I felt like I had an eating disorder. I just threw up and then it was like all better!

My surgeon, I must say I feel did my surgery and has jumped ship. I follow up Wednesday, but I will not see him. I will just see the MA. He is not even in the office. I believe this meeting is for weight, measurements and to ask me questions. I will not see the surgeon again until I am three months out.

Like I stated, I feel full consistently. To take my Prilosec 40 mg and with two sips of Water and I am full for hours. I have tried to drink small amount of liquids through out the day, yet when it's time for nutritional soups/shakes, I can not get in more than 4 oz. I have lost 25 lbs since my RNY procedure.

I did the gastric sleeve surgery for my health and got assistance with my GERDS. After my sleeve and a hiatal hernia repair on my first surgery, I found myself a year and a half out waking up coughing with emesis in my throat of acid tasting bile. I did the modified barium swallow as ordered and my sleeve looked great but the hernia looked as if it was never repaired and was worse. My surgeon said I might could have a "lazy" sleeve and perhaps it wasn't dumping in a timely manor. He added Reglan to the regimen, but I saw no changes. We did an EGD and then he was saying that he recommended a revision to the RNY and he would repair my hernia again.

I never saw my surgeon since I was in the PACU waiting to go back. I was discharged from the hospital by a hospitalist home. At the time I thought he was offiliated with the Bariatrics group. I had my surgery in San Antonio and live in Houston. I developed and ileus and had to be hospitalized again the day after my discharge in the Woodlands hospital. I saw a Bariatrics surgeon there when I was hospitalized. He helped get my bowels going when my ilius resolved. Was somewhat intrigued upon the surgical entry points my surgeon had taken. He recommended I follow back up with my surgeon. I had my surgery 8/29/16. Was released 8/31/16. Was readmitted 8/31/16 in the early morning hours were I stayed until 09/02/16. It was Labor Day weekend and no provider was available at my surgeon's office so I had to speak to a nurse practitioner when I called with hurting and my JP drain had put out over 800 mls in a 24 hr period. All I was asked was if I was febrile and then was told to push the fluids, take my liquid tylenol3....

Well now I am at my two week mark and I somewhat feel like since I am not at my goals they have set or their guidelines for this point in time, that I am failing.

I know and understand the importance of protein and actually loved my Bariatrics Advantage shakes with my gastric sleeve. I bought and have a Protein Powder chicken broth, and the Bariatrics fusion shakes. As suggested prior to surgery because they were thin in consistency. I have tried Isopure, can't drink it. The taste of artificial sweeteners are too much. I do not even like Minute Maid 15 calorie juice cut with water or sugar free popciles anymore. The taste of the artificial sweeteners makes everything taste too sweet or not appealing. I never had this issue prior with the sleeve. Nothing taste appealing except I am craving the taste of salt.

I regret the surgery daily due to the pain when I am forcing fluids. I do not even care of the 25 lb weight loss I have reached. I feel depressed and I feel somewhat alone in this. Not everyone can understand or I have those who would love to say that's why you should not have did that.... Never mind the health risk I was at for aspirating in my sleep from reflux.

Please help me. Tell me it gets better. If there are any Houston people on this forum I would love to find a local provider. I tried Dr. Jason Balette in the Woodlsnd area, but was told he would not see me because I was a revision by his office staff. The provider I saw in the hospital was a Dr. Turnquest and he was phenomenal.

I am a nurse, so I know way too much and I know better. Perhaps that's why I am so hard on myself. I am not looking for pity. I just need suggestions, a support group I feel would be great and perhaps a new Bariatric Doctor locally. I feel my spouse is concerned about me more than they lead on, but feel hopeless as they haven't a clue how to help me. Medical issue are always or have always been my field of advise and treatment. Can anyone help me?

Edited by DanB

I was originally agreeing to get the sleeve done. I read about the sleeve specifically. I got a call from my doctor telling me they feel the RNY is better long term and I will benefit more from it. I am sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time with it.

Wow I hope everything goes well I have the same GERD and is coming from the sleeve to the bypass

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Dr Worley at Methodist Willowbrook did my surgery and he was very helpful and supportive during the pre op period and continues to be after surgery. If you're looking for another bariatric team, methodist willowbrook has a great program, I wish you luck and I pray you feel better soon.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Sorry you're having a tough time with fluids and such. I did too for awhile after surgery, and i had to take prilosec twice a day because I had gastritis. I had severe acid reflux and GERD before RNY, now it's completely gone, except a touch of gastritis now and then. Especially if I eat something that irritates the pouch. Adding a different acid reducer in the mix could help. Im no doc, but while I was having that pain it helped.

Im so surprised doctors are still pushing the sleeve the way they do knowing patients are prone to such acid gerd issues after the procedure. Sleeve makes it a million times worse if you have existing issues like a hernia. Ugh. I hope you feel better soon!

I am in the hospital tonight. I am being scoped tomorrow. I may have strictures. Not everyone I assure you will be like my case. Just research all options. A sleeve versus the RNY is very different and as long as you throughly informed.

I am in the hospital tonight. I am being scoped tomorrow. I may have strictures. Not everyone I assure you will be like my case. Just research all options. A sleeve versus the RNY is very different and as long as you throughly informed.

How did you figure out you had a structure? I'm wondering if I have one. It hurts when I drink at times. Everything has to be hot. And I am five days out having to walk off everything I drink.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App