Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

16 days post op and 12 lbs lost. My incisions are healing fine although the port site is taking it's time. That dermabond skin glue only holds for 4 or 5 days and then I was sure I would cough and my guts would spill out.

I am feeling depressed because I don't know if what I am feeling is normal..........IS THIS THING WORKING!!!!!! I am wondering if there is even a band in there! I did liquids for the first 7 days, then mushies and liquids for the next 7 and now feel like I could eat way tooooo much food. Don't get me wrong, I haven't tried anything life-threatening like bread or big chunks of anything but I don't get it. What's all this crap about eatting with a baby spoon and only being able to drink small portions of liquids??? I literally have to stop myself from eatting too much. Given the chance I could drink liters at a time. I never feel full.

Here's what I do notice...is this normal????? My constriction/restriction feels more like it is in my throat and not where I know my anotomical stomach to be located. Anyone else??? Also, it ocurs in the AM mostly.

I haven't vomited at all. That's good. No heartburn or reflux.

I never saw a nutritionalist so I am making this up as I go.

I can't wait for my first fill so I can be sure this thing is working! I'm just depressed because I don't know if what I am feeling is normal and did I blow all that $ on nothing?

Oh, someone please write back and tell me I am not crazy. Sleepless night #17.

Thanks in advance...

P.S Real name is Christine.:D

You are not crazy, but I am wondering how much research you did before you were banded. The reason why? Because it is way common to see this reaction on most ALL message boards. Somehow, in all that everyone has learned, they miss all the posts about people suddenly beginning to heal and finding that they have no restriction and are HUNGRY. Hmm..... . Yes. It's very normal.

The first 6 weeks is strictly for healing. Very very few docs put any saline in the band until at least 6 weeks post-op. In the meantime, the swelling goes down, the hunger returns and people ask 'is this normal?' or 'am I going to be the only one this doesn't work for?'. Hmm..... sound familiar?

Any weight loss in the pre-fill stage is purely bonus. This time and all the liquid/mushy diet is meant solely for healing. So that your band can settle or anchor itself in scar tissue without having to churn or grind to digest hard foods.

Now, once you get your first fill; even this may not give you lots of restriction. Sometimes, it' takes up to 3 or 4 fills to find that spot which allows you to lose the most weight.

Also, the band is placed high up on the top end of the stomach, righ below your esophagus, so yes, your restriction is not really gonna be felt in your tummy at all, you may feel 'full' up into your esophagus. This is perfectly normal. You will never again feel that 'Thanksgiving' 'Tummy' full UNLESS you are eating soft foods 'around' the band. Everything will be much higher from here on out.

Relax. Take a few deep breaths. Read some of the new post op posts and replies so that you'll know everything possible about what to expect. You're doing fine!

Also, if I remember correctly, you have a very low BMI. If I am right about that, you can almost certainly NOT count on losing massive weight at a quick pace. Lower BMI's just will not have that kind of results with any weight loss. Be patient, walk, walk, walk, Water, Water, water and Protein, Protein, protein. All is well. :D

Christine,

Please listen to Leatha, she knows what she is talking about.... Everything you said sounds perfectly normal. Best wishes, Teresa

Christine, did Dr. Lopez have you attend an informational seminar? Have you actually seen and felt a Lapband? Did he show you a presentation that shows where the band sits in your anatomy and how it works (creating a small pouch high above your regular tummy)? Most people have more restriction in the a.m. It gets better as the day goes on. If you can drink liters of Water, that's great! It's really important to drink, drink, drink water every day (try for 64 oz.). But do not drink with your meals or for an hour afterwards - so your food will stay in your pouch longer and you'll feel "full" longer. Please follow Dr. Lopez' post-op orders about what to eat and when. It's very important to let your tummy heal properly and anchor that band before running food through. Too soon could lead to band slippage. Be sure that you are regularly on hard Proteins (real foods) before you get your first fill. You may gain weight before your first fill. Please be kind to yourself and just focus on eating healthy food choices. You have your band. It's there when you're ready for that first fill. Best of luck to you! What is your beginning weight and height? What is your goal weight?

Christine, do you know what size band you have? By my third week out, I could eat a horse. It was like I had never had surgery at all. You name it I could eat it, and eat just as much as pre-band. Went to see my dr and found out he had used the 10cc band and ALL of his patients were experiencing the same thing. So, he is giving fills about a week early. I get my first fill on Monday, I can't wait to finally feel what its like to be banded!!!

You are newly banded..restriction does not usually happen until you start getting your fills. This phase you are in is the healing phase for 6 weeks. Any weight loss during this phase is a bonus. Anytime you go from one stage to another like liquids to soft foods you may see a gain and then when you go from softs to solids you may see a gain, it is normal until your body adjusts. Yes lower BMI's will lose slower. Hng in there..once you start to get your fills you will feel the restriction.

Hello Everyone,

I'm just 1 wk into bandland and the only time I think I actually felt the restriction was 2-3 days post-op. At that time I was only consuming maybe one Jello and very little Water. Now, I can drink or eat a whole bowl of cream Soup or broth and now i'm able to drink a lot of Water. But, i'm not going to panic. Because I know this is normal. I just can't wait until i'm able to get my 1st fill so I can feel my band actually working. So please Christine stay encouraged and don't give up. I also have not lost a pound since the surgery, either.

Fran