Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! My surgeon just went out on leave. What should I do?

Hello everyone I am new to this site. I have a question though. I have finished all of my requirements for the surgery besides, seeing the nutritionist next month and losing the 15lbs. I'm at a point of excitement and I'm ready to see my surgeon. The first consultation I had was with her Nurse Practitioner, however it was suppose to be with her but she wasn't in. I let that slide. Now I'm stuck again because she is out on leave. No one has returned my calls and I'm worried about getting surgery done from her because she is never around. My surgery is suppose to be done at John Hopkins Bayview Hospital in Baltimore MD. I requested to see another surgeon there and they said they would get back to me as well. It's been about 2 weeks since I spoke with my surgeons assistant and a week since I spoke with the other surgeons assistant. Would you guys suggest I go to another hospital for a different surgeon? Is this at all possible for me to do? Will I have to redo all the requirements again? Or will they be able to use the results from everything I did for the original surgeon I was going to use? I hope you all can help me with my dilemma. Thanks everyone.

I have to say that my surgeon is also almost never around, and office staff is slow to respond to me as well. My surgeon only comes in to the office on Wednesdays , and that is also the day he does all of his surgeries, 2-3 per Wednesday. It took me 6 weeks to get an appointment and once they cancelled and it took another 6 weeks to reschedule. A huge pain but my PCP highly highly recommends this surgeon so I never considered trying to find someone else. If I were you, and your surgeon is a good one, I would just wait out the leave (how long is it)? You have to wait to see the NUT , then insurance approval anyway. I would call again though, 2 weeks is too long to wait for a callback imo.

I would say if you are not comfortable to look for a new surgeon. You should not have to be put on hold or not called back. As far as having to redo all the paperwork, that would be a question i would ask your insurance company what would happen.

they might even have some suggestions for you.

Best of luck and I hope everything works out so you can put this surgery behind you and move on to your new future!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches