Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Week From Banding In VA Beach

Hey LoserwannaB,

I am from Chesapeake. Looking for a local doc around our neck of the woods. Who did you decide on for your surgeon? I have had a hard time finding Docs that have been doing this Band Procedure on this side of the Water. Please let me know who you found and any great stuff about them :)

Thanks so much!

Heather

it sure is!!!! i came home today from the hospital. :wacko: everything went as well as it could have the dr. said. now im just tired all the time.

trying to walk and sip and rest.

You will have some healing time now. Can you feel the band at all? ....or just inflamation? How much time away from work have they recommended?

Do you know how many Lap Bands Dr. Fontana has installed? What made you decide to go with his group? I am just trying to narrow down my choice. Any info would be REALLY appreciated.

Hopefully you have a wireless connection so you can email while relaxing :eek:

Looking forward to your reply....

Thanks a bunch!

Heather

Heidi

here is a link to Dr. Fontana's stats.

Bariatric Surgeon Profile - Mark Fontana, M.D. F.A.C.S.

i'm feeling pretty good today. i went for a walk-i'm supposed to do at least 3 walks a day... the first day (friday) i walked to the corner... which is about 100 yards. I've upped it each day... a block saturday) , 2 blocks (yesterday), 3 blocks (today). Dr. Fontana told me to make sure i take deep breaths and walk. i can't feel the band at all. I don't have any inflammation. What affected me was the trach tube... i have no voice to speak of (LOL)

cuz it's bruised and sore. It doesn't hurt today but my voice still is minnie mousey.

what made me choose this group is i went to one of his orientations back in February. I had met with another dr. in 2004 for this, and Dr. Fontana seemed more everything. he talked about everything i had in mind to ask him.

He's very matter-of-fact and I love that. It is what we need as bariatric patients cuz ultimately it's us who does the work. The Dr. educates us on what to expect etc. but he doesn't come home with us. That's a GOOD thing although he is one handsome man!!!!!!

Did you have any knee problems or Plantar issues? Walking for long distances is pretty painful for me...until I get this extra 120 off my frame. Is it just the cardio you are trying to keep up? Yoga may be my answer so it takes the load off of my knees while still get a work out.

Have not heard how things are going? Are you doing well?

I was wondering, when on theliquids after surgery, can you swallow pills? Vitamins or the pain meds? Did not know how that is working? Look forward to hearing how things are going....

after surgery, dr. fontana told me to take chewable Vitamin C and chewable vitamins. The rest of my meds I crushed and put in the Protein Drink (i use Unjury my dietician recommended.)

I am doing well I think. I feel great and try to walk walk walk.

I did have knee problems and feet problems before surgery and that went away right away! unbelievable!!!!! the benefits for me were almost instantaneous. truly amazing to me, hubby and my friends.

I had been in pain for a long time and got naproxen from my pcp and lately had been taking advil before surgery. I don't need them now. I can walk walk walk without any pain. It's wonderful. We walked 14 blocks on the beach today then had to walk back home... so i got my walking in. then i had to walk the dogs 4 more blocks. They can't do a long trek.

Great to hear... How long do you have to crush your meds? Just during the liquid time period? As far as the liquid....is it Clear Liquids only? Did they require a Barium Swallow test during your process? Sorry about all of the questions.... :) Just trying to make sure am covering all of the bases? I am also ordering some Protein Soups and hot choc's for the fall. :)

i crushed my meds for 2 weeks+

i just started taking them not crushed in the last few days.

there are clear liquids, then full liquids, mushies and regular foods...

with some limitations... i had the swallow/leak test the day after surgery and it was necessary before being discharged.

i still like liquids sometimes... like yesterday and today...

i've gotten hooked on Soups. the other day i got some sugarfree

cider and snapple tea bags. there are so many choices!

I hav a pretty good acid reflux issue. I was not sure if they do a test before handas well. I have some erosion in the throat. Hoping that is not going to be an issue. Have you updated your Ticker? Any additional weight loss?

Have a beautiful day!

Heather

<p>i haven't updated my ticker in a while. i've purposefully not done it. lol i'm steadily losing about 2# per week now... so i've lost about 5 more since i made the ticker.</p> <p>You should let your Dr. know about that issue with your throat so you can make sure it's not going to stop you before you go thru all the prerequisites!!!! Something was found on my endoscopy with Dr. Fontana and I had to go to another Dr. for further tests to be sure.</p>