Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet (and post-op)

I've noticed that not all folks have the same pre-op diet and are not restricting their intake for the same period of time prior to surgery.

I'm still researching and do not meet with my surgeon until next month and would like to hear what specifically you can eat on the pre and post-op diets. What kind of Protein shakes are "the best" and how many ounces (typically) can you eat/drink at one sitting post surgery?

I know these are all pretty basic questions and I've read many threads here so forgive me if I'm repeating questions that were already asked.

Thanks!:ranger:

I suppose I should call doctor to be sure, but I got my surgery date this morning: 9/6/2007, and there was no mention of a pre-op diet. I'm a guy, at 275, with a BMI of 41.

Has anyone else not been put on a pre-op diet in similar circumstances?

I had my banding surgery 8/20. 10 days prior to surgery I was on a full Fluid diet. After surgery, I was on clear fluids for 4 days & am now on full fluids (again) till next week whe I advance to "blended food" (babyfod consistency). Blended lasts 2 wks, followed ny soft for 2 wks & finally regular food. As I have to write everything down, I expect my physician will be monitoring my intake. Hope this is helpful---

Hi Claricy. If it helps at all I can tell you what they told me.

The idea of pre-surg diet is to strip away as much fatty tissue from around the liver as possible. The fatty tissue tends to make the liver less pliable when they have to move it around to access the band sites.

Secondly, any reduction in weight improves the anesthesia risk, as your body is under less stress, your airways are not a congested etc.

I was on a VLCD diet of Optifast for about two weeks, then switched to Weight Watchers Soups for a further 2 weeks when I could no longer keep the Optifast down. Pre surg I lost approx 16 kgs !! The incentive to improve my anesthesia risk was incentive for me.

When I went to the pre op clinic, there were some people there (210 kgs plus ) who were complaining about having to lose 5 ks's prior to surgery

(and they were still ok to be operated on).

So from the surgical point of view, any weight loss prior to the op is a good thing, mainly as it improves your outcomes. My advice, dont stress out too much, just do what you can.ANY weight loss at this stage is a good thing.

Cheers

I have not had my surgery yet but all my dr visits had led me to this:

2 weeks prior, small portions, sip fluids throughout the day - no gulping, chew food good, lots of Protein

while in hospital: clear fluids no juice sipping

first week home:

1 ounce Protein Drink every 15 minutes

Water

second week:

baby food type

applesouce

SF Jello

Etc

Third week:

pureed foods like tuna, chicken with broth

and all as week 1 & 2

Fourth week:

start intro to soft foods one at a time

by fifth week, reg foods

eat small portions 5 x a day and lots of prtein foods/ drinks

No to sound dumb but what is the breakdown of kdgs in english refering to pounds. I am on day 5 of my liquid diet, I am diabetic so I was told to use the gluceran for diabetics/weightloss well I bought this stuff and I was using slim fast high Protein and you know that the slim fast if a lot better less carbs same sugar content and protien is 3 grams less than the glucerna but I can add Protein Powder to that and it is great the fat grams are the same too so in my book the slimfast with protein is healthier for me than what the Dr. said to have

HI Sharon2u,

Basically 2.2 pounds per kilo ( 27 kgs = 59 lbs).

Hi lisa_hawaii

Your plan is pretty much spot on with what I did. I found the trick was to take it SLOOOOWWWW and keep up the fluids.

Its really a new sensation for me, trying to judge just what my body was telling me, when I was actually feeling full or not. its a diffent sensation compared to the "usual" feeling of being full. Quite strange. Not quite like indigestion, but.....

I am just over 5 weeks post-op, due for my first fill up next week.

I have survived on the fantastic tuna-mornay and peanut butter/banana shakes for the last 2 weeks, and these were just FANTASTIC. The recipies are on here somewhere and I can try and redirect you if you need.

At the moment I am able to enjoy almost ANYTHING without feeling ill or vomiting, up to about the quantity of a cup, so I guess the quantity will reduce after my first fill. Again ssslllooooowwwww is the key.

The best thing about all this is that the things I was grieving over never having again, in my case breads or steak, have proven to be ok !!

My god, I am so happy !!

I hope yours goes just as well, :)

thank you for the info. I am very excited and scared. I feel like i dont know enough about the post op and i dont have too much time to browse the net.. i do check my email daily though. if you want, please email me at lisa_hawaii@yahoo.com. I could use someone to chat with and ask lots of quetions that has beent hrough this... thanks and keep up the good work.

Lisa

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty sure my surgery will be within the next couple of weeks, my question is what is the best Protein mix to buy? should it be powder ? I got the diet list and it said to avoid Protein Shakes? those are the ones already mixed right? and do I really need the GasX? Will I get a RX a few days before surgery? I really hope so because I don't want to get it filled the same day as the surgery (Lap Band).

Did anybody find that drining Apple , Cranberry or grape juice was to sweet? Should I just buy sugar free? thanks for any information out there in advance.

I've noticed that not all folks have the same pre-op diet and are not restricting their intake for the same period of time prior to surgery.

I'm still researching and do not meet with my surgeon until next month and would like to hear what specifically you can eat on the pre and post-op diets. What kind of Protein shakes are "the best" and how many ounces (typically) can you eat/drink at one sitting post surgery?

I know these are all pretty basic questions and I've read many threads here so forgive me if I'm repeating questions that were already asked.

Thanks!:ranger:

I am on my pro-op diet and will have surgery on 9/6/07. My pre-op consistes of :a flavor free protien to mix in with sugar free drinks such as crystal light. sugar free Jello and pudding (mixing in the protien of course) chicken broth, skim milk, and sugar free popcycles. no fruits or vegatables allowed