Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!!! Its so hard to not cheat on this pre-op diet!!!! LOL I feel like I am in hell. Today is day 4... I swapped a shake for a salad with grilled chicken that was nutritionally comparable. A few more cals and carbs that my shake but not significant.

Did anyone have a pre-op diet that allowed 2 shakes and small Protein rich meal? I know its still cheating but I do feel like I am smart about it. Its not like I ate a slice of cake or pizza or anything loaded in carbs or fat.

Maybe I am just trying to justify it to myself.. :rolleyes:

Come on people!! Someone sympathize with me! LOL :P

Help!!! Its so hard to not cheat on this pre-op diet!!!! LOL I feel like I am in hell. Today is day 4... I swapped a shake for a salad with grilled chicken that was nutritionally comparable. A few more cals and carbs that my shake but not significant.

Did anyone have a pre-op diet that allowed 2 shakes and small Protein rich meal? I know its still cheating but I do feel like I am smart about it. Its not like I ate a slice of cake or pizza or anything loaded in carbs or fat.

Maybe I am just trying to justify it to myself.. :rolleyes:

Come on people!! Someone sympathize with me! LOL :P

The most difficult part for me to learn was that hunger was really an invention of my mind.

Once I realized that, things got easier for me.

So I drank my Protein Shakes and ignored the head-hunger, and eventually it went away.

In my case, hunger is mental.

I would ask the doctor if you can have that. and if not why.

I know for me information is the key. if their is a good reason why you cant chew your calories instead of drink them.

But definitly ask your doctor if there is a pre op diet that you will have a better chance of sticking to.

I understand what you are going through. I am on my second week of pre-op diet I will be banded 9/5. I feel bad sometimes and then sometimes I feel o.k. Just hang in there. My diet is 3 slimfast with all the sugar free Jello , popsicles I want. Or I can have the 2 slimfast with a small piece of chicken, fish, or shrimp., with a vegetable or salad. Try to contact your Dr. about it . I know it can be hard because I tried to talk to my Dr. about changing my slimfast to an egg or something and he kinda brushed me off. I hope your Dr. don't do you that.

i am going to meet with the surgeon on tuesday so im not even sure if hell approve me for surgery but since i found out that i am going to meet with the surgeon i have fallen off of the wagon, ive been eating really bad and have gained 2 pounds. i need to get a grip but its hard. i went 3 months without gaining anything now i feel out of control. i am aware of how this makes me feel and i want to stop because i dont need to gain weight and i know that its not healthy to overeat or eat bad right before surgery and suggestions?

andrea

Well...

Your dramatic sin is.... not a sin. Your transgression of a salad with chicken in lieu of a Protein shake is generally seen as an alternative to the monotonous choc-vanilla-whatever flavor comes next food in a can.

I feel you are way ok*. Many people cannot or will not stick to the Protein shakes pre-op. So, to shrink the liver for your surgery you go high-protein (hey; isn't chicken hi-protein?) and low-fat.

*I'm not a doctor, but I've stayed at one of those hotels they mention on tv...

thj

banded (or is it branded?) 8/17

Well...

Your dramatic sin is.... not a sin. Your transgression of a salad with chicken in lieu of a Protein shake is generally seen as an alternative to the monotonous choc-vanilla-whatever flavor comes next food in a can.

I feel you are way ok*. Many people cannot or will not stick to the Protein shakes pre-op. So, to shrink the liver for your surgery you go high-protein (hey; isn't chicken hi-protein?) and low-fat.

*I'm not a doctor, but I've stayed at one of those hotels they mention on tv...

thj

banded (or is it branded?) 8/17

thj - you made me about snarf my crystal light all over my laptop with that last line... LOL

Overall my theory on this pre-op deal is this. Yes they want to shrink your liver for surgery and high protein and low fat diet is the best shot. However, I think the docs and nutrition people think that prescribing shakes and fluids is just easier than actaully having to give real deal nutrtional counseling. If we all knew exactly how to be on one of those diets , we wouldnt need this surgery right??? I think the liquid is just an easy fix for the docs.

I'll play their game til next monday, but I am gonna "cheat" a little for my sanity until saturday with a small salad a day in place of one shake. It made all the difference for me in the world today. I'll do full liquid sunday and monday before surgery.

I was just banded on the 25th and my 7day pre-op diet consisted of two shakes and then a sensible low carb/low fat dinner. In that week I only lost 4 pounds but I did stick to the diet and found that the dinner was really satisfactory. I took advantage of it being summer and grilled some chicken breast and some eggplant, zucchini, and mushrooms on a skewers. That kept me from cooking anything in fat and gave it all extra flavor. I didnt get tired of the meal after those awful shakes and it helped me feel like I wasn't depriving myself.

i didnt have a pre-op diet. i actually gained like 10 lbs in a week before my surgery. i didnt have any problems.

You asked if anyone had a 2 shake diet with a rich Protein meal. I did. that is what my doctor ordered...

So you have no reason to feel bad!

I went to the surgeon for my 2 wk pre-op yesterday (surgery is 9/18) and found out I had gained 5 lbs. Now I'm on an all liquid diet. I have to lose 15 lbs by 9/17. I'm one day into this and I have a horrible headache. Don't know if it's caffeine or food withdrawal. I don't know how I'm going to do this for 2 more weeks! Any advice? Can I have broth? I'm already tired of the sweet stuff as I am not a sweet eater. One more crystal light and I think I'm going to scream! Sorry to sound so negative.

I have felt your pain.

I was on a 14 day liquid pre op diet, three Optifast shakes, per day. No food. I cheated 4 times. Like you I had a small meal, I did not binge on crap. I cheated for my sanity. I would have gone postal without looking forward to my saturday steak, or my egg Breakfast. I planned these cheats to make the three shakes seem less like torture.

I lost 11 pounds on the pre op and the doc said I did very well. i confessed to the cheats, and he said "everyone cheats, the only difference is some people dont admit it".

Now I am 2 weeks post op, I have lost 8 pounds since surgery, so I am down 19 pounds in 4 weeks.

Try your best, you will be fine

Does anyone know if you should just loose some wight before surgery or if it is a specific amount in order for you to shrink the liver ? I will hopefully have surgery in oct. I have already started to diet some , mostly to try to get use to the diet change needed for surgery.

mel

My pre-op diet was 3 Meal Replacement shakes like slimfast every day plus one meal consisting of plain chicken or fish 3oz and then some veggies and stuff. For the variety instead of that we could have Lean Cuisine. So that's what I did. I had the shakes plus a different lean cuisine every night for 2 weeks. OH...and I could have fruit so I used frozen berries in one of my shakes each day.