Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions For The Surgeon

Hi Everyone!

I meet the surgeon for the first time tomorrow (well today)!! I'm so excited and scared at the same time. This has been a long journey so far and I still have a ways to go. I'm hoping for a surgery date in November as I have 2 more visits left with nutrition. I'm also nervous that the surgeon is going to say I need to have the bypass versus the sleeve (what I really want) because of my starting weight

So I wanted to get some ideas on important questions I should ask the surgeon or questions that maybe you wish you would have asked but didn't!

And did anyone's surgeon recommend 1 surgery but you chose another?

I would definitely appreciate your responses

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm not sure what your starting weight is, but I have seen many people on this site with a high start weight, who have lost a great deal of weight. I think it can definitely be done with the sleeve, although some people say it comes off faster with bypass (I have no clue how accurate that is). I would explain to the surgeon why you would prefer the sleeve (if that's the one you are comfortable with), and listen to what he has to say in response.

Things to ask: How long will the procedure take, recovery time, bougie size being used (to form the sleeve), risks, benefits, what their plan is (pre-op, post-op diet and exercise plan), etc. Anything you can think of, ask. I asked everything I wanted to, no matter how embarrassing. Just make a list of things that you'd like to know. Good luck!

Thanks so much! One question I want to ask is his the mortality rate? Do you think that's appropriate?

I definitely think that is appropriate to ask. The reality is we all think about it and I guarantee you will not be the first person to ask. If he is a great surgeon he will have no problem answering. I went to a seminar my surgeon hosted before I decided on the sleeve and he was very open about his mortality rate(zero) and his complication rate.

I wrote a list of 20+ questions before consultation with my surgeon. I mostly asked about technical things- diet pre and post op, leave from work, mobility after the surgery, medications and Vitamins etc. He did more than 25000 WLS so I felt I didn't need to ask about his qualifications. ;)

I choose the surgery for myself (VSG) before my consultation. If you can have both the surgeon will advise you the best option but ultimately you will have to live with it. ;)

Thanks so much! One question I want to ask is his the mortality rate? Do you think that's appropriate?

I definitely think that is appropriate to ask. The reality is we all think about it and I guarantee you will not be the first person to ask. If he is a great surgeon he will have no problem answering. I went to a seminar my surgeon hosted before I decided on the sleeve and he was very open about his mortality rate(zero) and his complication rate.

Thanks for that reassurance because it is something we think about! I'm here now, waiting! So nervous!

I'm here now, waiting! So nervous!

@@mylastchance21

tell me, tell me

how did it go??

nice doc?

informative

continued discussion about which WLS to have

i love my sleeve, wouldn't change it for the world

but "they" say if you have bad gerd now, strong possibiltes that gerd will increase with the sleeve :(

many people have no issues

thought i'd throw issue into the pot, sorry bud

so...............tell me how you do?

waiting with baited breath!!!

starting to turn blue!!!

kathy

Appointment went very well! He did not once suggest the bypass! He said he thinks the sleeve will be a great option for me and he was very impressed with my 15lb weight loss! According to him I can be just as successful with the sleeve as the bypass and I don't have any medical conditions that would make the bypass the best option. Went over everything from the A-Z.. Mortality rate is 0 and he said that his complication rate is 1%- he's had 2 leaks out of all the surgeries he's done and this was after the patient had been released and ate something they shouldn't. Next step is the EDG- couldn't get scheduled until Sept 30th but that's ok because I still have 2 more nutritionist visits. After that submission to the insurance company.

@@mylastchance21 We are on the same timeline. I also have two more visits with the nutritionist and I am hoping for a November date. I don't meet my surgeon until next week.

@@mylastchance21 We are on the same timeline. I also have two more visits with the nutritionist and I am hoping for a November date. I don't meet my surgeon until next week.

Me too! I'm so hoping for November. My last nutritionist visit won't be until the end of October so I'm hoping my surgeon's office is quick about submitting and then there is the dreadful insurance wait. So I'm hoping for November but thinking maybe it will be December!

Where are you located? What surgery are you having? What's your starting weight if you don't mind sharing? I was down 2 more lbs this morning so exciting.. My starting weight was 354, this morning I was 337. Praying and pushing for 300 day of surgery.

Me too! I'm so hoping for November. My last nutritionist visit won't be until the end of October so I'm hoping my surgeon's office is quick about submitting and then there is the dreadful insurance wait. So I'm hoping for November but thinking maybe it will be December!

Where are you located? What surgery are you having? What's your starting weight if you don't mind sharing? I was down 2 more lbs this morning so exciting.. My starting weight was 354, this morning I was 337. Praying and pushing for 300 day of surgery.

I am in St. Louis, MO. My last visit with the nutritionist is October 20th. At my last visit the nutritionist told me that I should definitely be able to have my procedure in November because most people don't schedule surgery around the holidays. I am having the gastric sleeve. As of Sunday I am down to 353.