Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NMCSD Balboa hospital

Has anyone in the last year gone through the bariatric program for vsg at the Naval Medical Center San Diego? I am thinking about doing a self-referral. I want to know how your process went. How long did it take from start to finish. If you have Tricare Standard PLEASE tell me about your experience. If I decide to go through this bariatric program I will be traveling from Northern Arizona so I want to make sure that the long haul will be worth it all. Did you have to do a medical supervised diet/weigh in? If so, for how long? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Did you get your surgery done at NMCSD? If so can you tell me what are the requirements. I'm enrolled in the class, and have an appointment for the introduction class for bariatric surgery and have been a nutrionist at NMCSD for 3 months. Thank you!

I know it has been a while since this first post started but has anyone gone through the process at Balboa? I just started it and need to do my classes and some of the other pre-reqs but am curious of personal experiences. Also, I need to clarify if we need to see our nutritionist once a week? There is so much to get done so I am trying to clear everything up and get some personal experiences. Thanks

YES. I had my surgery at balboa end of January this year. What sort of questions do you have? IM happy to answer any. :)

Thank you for responding! I am excited to start this process but am a little confused on the process. Been heavy all my life and now I am starting to physically feel it.

I already had my consult, went to the mandatory info session. Now I need psych consult, sleep study, and to attend their classes. I have spoken to nutrition but they confused me. I know I have to take class #1, class #2, attend a support meeting and healthy lifestyle classes. Are those classes once a week? Once a month? I need to know because I have to arrange daycare for my little ones.

Congratulations!!! How was your surgery? post? How much have you lost? I am so excited that I am all over the place...sorry if I am not making any sense :rolleyes:

I am so sorry it’s taken me this long to get back to you!
So glad you had the info session! I’m sure you’ve gotten wayyyy more done by now!
It took me from July 2017 till December 2017 to finish everything and then I had to wait for them to have availability. Once that happened my surgery was booked! The classes I believe are 3 of them and I think they are three different weeks, but I could be wrong or could have forgotten it 😭😭😭
I was always having a hard time trying to arrange for care for my little ones for this process.

Surgery went great! Was a bit more in depth due to me having GP, but besides that all went well! I was 298 when I started in July 2017. Then I got down to 272 day of surgery, and as of two weeks ago I was 182 7 months out . Hope that helps a bit if you have any more questions just please let me know!

Thank you for the response. Delayed or not it is still very much appreciated. I have now done the classes and still need the pre op and post classes and the support group. Balboa has changed their policy though and those are no longer drop in but now you have to schedule an appt to attend. Before I was able to schedule, they kept cancelling them previously due to lack of people attending. I am still in the process of doing the sleep study, I still need to schedule the psych consult and after that I am good to go. I completely understand you about having difficulty being able to attend all these required dates due to childcare. I also work FT and that doesn't make it any easier. How long did it take from the moment that Okayed you to the day they were able to get scheduled on? I'm excited and am hoping it isn't too long. I dream of being able to wear shorts and tank tops during the extreme summer heat we get here and having my self esteem back. Thanks for any responses. I am excited for you in your success :)