Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the band a waste of money?

I'm scheduled for next Friday and I have been reading a lot of posts stating that people want their bands out and they haven't lost any weight. Another I read today said that PBing is not the simple little burp of food it sounds like and that it's horrible and painful. Also, hearing about not being able to eat again. I'm self pay and this is a lot of money for me to shell out for something that may not work. Please give me your down and dirty stories. I'm low BMI and really healthy so not expecting a lot of problems.

PEople post on this site when they need support, so it aslways looks like problems are rampant. Remember that people who are doing well are out living their lives and don't post as much. In reality, the lap band has very small incidence of complications.

For me, it's been a life saver, so it's been worth PBing while learning how NOT to! It was worth the money because nothing else worked, and my life was going to be downright miserable without it.

PEople post on this site when they need support, so it aslways looks like problems are rampant. Remember that people who are doing well are out living their lives and don't post as much. In reality, the lap band has very small incidence of complications.

For me, it's been a life saver, so it's been worth PBing while learning how NOT to! It was worth the money because nothing else worked, and my life was going to be downright miserable without it.

Exactly what I was going to say. Most people don't come to the support boards unless they are having problems or just getting started out. I'm just addicted so I come here all the time. I love my band, and I couldn't have accomplished what I have without it. Yes, you still have to watch what you eat, but it's much easier with the band helping you out.

<p>I was banded 3 months ago. I wouldn't do ANYTHING any differently. The surgery went without incident, my recuperation was EXTREMELY fast (I was shocked!) and my weight has dropped steadily since and I could NOT be happier with the results. That being said, the band is NOT a license to retain your old habits. You HAVE to modify your behavior and eating habits. I have yo-yo dieted for 45 years. This is the FIRST time I have actually been able to be successful and to ENJOY being successful (changing my habits hasn't bothered me one whit!). This little jewel is going to remain with me. If you want a true tale...look at the poll asking if it was worth it. HELL YEAH!</p>

I must say that starting at 6 months post surgery, it has been a lot harder for me to lose. My old habits crop up and I have to knock them back down one by one. But I can do it, and I couldn't without the band. AND while I struggle with something, I simply stop losing weight. Without the band, I would ahve gained it all back and more. The band just holds me at weight until I get my act together again and start losing. I can't ask for more.

My day is tomorrow and I just asked my friend who is three years out complication free and 100 pounds down the same question.

She said it is what you do after the band is what causes problems not the band it'self!

That was enough for me.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything. You just have to remember that this is just a tool an that you have to change your life style espcially when it comes to food. As far as PBing goes, no it's not pleasant but the few I've had weren't that bad and was stickly my fault, eating too fast or not chewing enough. All I've ever done was burp up the food I had just eaten in the same consistancy as it went down and it wasn't projectile. Infact It was catchable in a paper towel if necessary. My only regret is that I didn't do it years ago.

I have similar feelings too. I really have little doubt that it would be an effective tool for weight loss. I actually had a surgery date of 8/20. Ihad done all my pre-op testing and everything. Needless to say, I chickened out. I go back and forth on whether it was the right thing to do or not. I figured I can always change my mind and get the band, but it is much harder and more expensive to undo it if I changed my mind the other way.

My concern is more long term. It seems a lot of people 18 months and longer post op start to have a problem with reflux. I worry about that. Currently, I'm 5'2" and 173 with no health problems. I was going to be banded and am still toying with the idea, but can't totally justify it considering I don't have that much to lose (I'd be very happy at 145 lbs) and have NO health issues. I know complications from the band are low, but the complications seem to increase the longer you have the band. If you don't mind me asking, what is your bmi?

Jack,

For me the decision to get the band would be a no brainer if I had even 1 co-morbidity. As of now, I would say I am 90% sure I won't get the band. Why I'm still hanging around on this message board? I'm not sure. I do know it is great to hear all the positive stories of the band bringing people back into the land of the living. I mean, it really seems to have given so many people their lives back. Anyway, I always enjoy your posts and think you have accomplished a lot with the band. Congratulations!

I have similar feelings too. I really have little doubt that it would be an effective tool for weight loss. I actually had a surgery date of 8/20. Ihad done all my pre-op testing and everything. Needless to say, I chickened out. I go back and forth on whether it was the right thing to do or not. I figured I can always change my mind and get the band, but it is much harder and more expensive to undo it if I changed my mind the other way.

My concern is more long term. It seems a lot of people 18 months and longer post op start to have a problem with reflux. I worry about that. Currently, I'm 5'2" and 173 with no health problems. I was going to be banded and am still toying with the idea, but can't totally justify it considering I don't have that much to lose (I'd be very happy at 145 lbs) and have NO health issues. I know complications from the band are low, but the complications seem to increase the longer you have the band. If you don't mind me asking, what is your bmi?

Wow you really are low BMI. I was around 160-170 before I had my baby. Then gained 80 pounds with pregnancy. It had taken me two years to lose and maintain that weight. My BMI now is 39. If I were at 173 and didn't think I'd ever be much more than that I wouldn't get the lap band. My goal is to be 145-155. Even at 160 I was pretty happy in my size 12. I'm 5'2.

Thanks for all your posts. Tullips... if you think you may ever go on a gaining spree... I'd get the band. If I'd have known about it two years ago before baby I'd have done it. It's devastating to gain all this weight I'd lost. With the band it wouldn't have happened. Everyone is inspiring and I appreciate hearing what you have to say!

Back in March I hit an all time high of 194. That's when I first started looking into the band and found this board. Then, my bmi was 35 (just barely) and I tried to go through insurance, but no co-morbities so that was a dead end.

I have been trying not to "diet", but really change my lifestyle. I have actually adopted some of the band rules to help me. I am watching my portion size, eating Protein -- fish, chicken, etc., and lots of veggies and eating slowly and chewing my food well. I will allow myself a cookie or treats now and then, just not everyday and not 3 or 4 at a time like before. I was at 185 for quite some time earlier this summer and reconsidered the band and self-paying. That's when I went through all the consults and went to the seminar. As I said earlier, I chickened out. Especially since I was self-pay, I would have to pay if complications. I mainly worried about 3 or 4 years from now.

The weight loss is finally coming off again slowly, and I'm okay with that even though it's slow. No one has noticed my weight loss, though. I have been running too. Honestly, I maybe only run 2 days a week, but it's 2 days a week more than what I had been doing. Anyway, I certainly don't intend to gain my weight back -- but who ever does? I certainly have lost weight in the past thinking it was gone forever only to gain that back plus some. Still, I think that it is going slow for me, may give me a better chance of keeping it off for good.

I didn't mean to write a book here. Good luck with your surgery, I'm sure you will do great!

4 months out, self-pay of $15,000.. 43lbs down.. my chronic back pain..100% gone.

All worth it to me already :)

I don't have a lot of problems, but I'm also not as filled as I need to be, my restriction wanes a lot. When I get 'stuck' it's not a big deal, it hurts and is uncomfortable but it passes relatively quickly...and I just don't want to eat anymore.

I was one of those with a lower BMI when I was banded and as you can see from my age I am an old fart. I was banded last Sept and I now have a BMI of 23.8. The weight loss was slow and steady and totally worth it. I love my band.

I was banded in December and I have lost over 50 pounds. I am shopping in the regular clothes section and I am getting a lot of compliments. All that is great, but I can't even begin to tell you how I feel! I feel so much better!

Don't get me wrong, there are tough times. Sometimes I wish I could eat like I used to but I don't want to look like I used to.

Now when we as a family go out, I think carefully about what I want and what will work. The sacrifices are worth it.

Good Luck!