Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those of us who weigh in daily!!

I must admit I am guilty of being one of those who gets on the scale every morning naked after I pee. Not a pretty sight I know, but its for me! I came across this article on yahoo and it seems weighing every day may not be all bad after all. So long as you realize your weight fluctuates!

How Often Should You Weigh Yourself?

If I asked my clients this question, I would likely get a wide range of answers, from daily weigh-ins to just about never. Research has shown that daily weighing is associated with a lower body weight, is helpful for those trying to lose weight, and is not linked to depression in women.

Does this mean the answer is to weigh yourself every day? Maybe not.

While there is positive research behind stepping onto the scale every day, I see the answer to this question as more of an individual thing. First, there are some medical conditions for which people may need to track their weight daily. For example, people with congestive heart failure may be asked to record their weight each day so they can immediately detect any Fluid increases.

But unless a health care professional has told you to monitor your weight daily, you don't need to. The reason for this is that your weight can change every hour. Your weight may change because you drank and retained more fluids, you just ate a big meal, you are constipated, or, for women, you are premenstrual.

The scale doesn't tell you if your weight change is from Water, fat, or muscle. So think of the scale as a tool to track weight changes over time, and don't be obsessed about any daily changes.

Bottom line: It is important to check your weight. One to two times per week may give you a better picture of weight changes than does stepping onto the scale every day or, at the other extreme, only every other month.

Guilty! I'm trying very hard to kick this habit but just can't seem to not weigh myself daily. I've even put my scale away only to drag it back out again. But, it works for me and I don't think there's any harm to it.

My scales and I are surgically joined at the hip....er....soles of my feet. I weigh religiously every morning....yes, after a good pee and buck naked. This is what works for me. Instead of following the POUNDS, I follow those tenths of pounds on my digital scale. That way you get action every day. Yes, sometimes I am 183.6 and sometimes I am 183.8, but those tenths start to REALLY mean something to me. Today I was 182.6 and I am pretty darned excited! Maybe tomorrow I can be 182.4, or even 182.3!!! Then when it actually slips into another POUND....I DO THE HAPPY DANCE!!!!! Maybe after I get to goal I will drop to once a week, but this is wroking fantastic for me. I also log my weight each and every day on my FitDay account.

I've found a weighted rolling average helps me deal with the ups and downs. Go search for "Hacker's Diet" and the author explains the concept and why it's useful. There's several places online that can track the weight in that manner rather than the instantaneous method the tickers do.

Not only do I weigh myself everyday, sometimes more than once a day, I use two different scales, one dial and the other digital just in case the first scale which I step on the digital one first is lying to me. I think Im going to go crazy with this scale thing. :help:

I weight daily when I'm losing and not as often when I'm at a standstill. LOL

LOL!! This is SO me!!!! I call this the "Ignorance is bliss" approach! :)

I think this is another of those things that don't have a "right" answer, it depends on the person. I do better if I weigh everyday, I just had to learn that yes, the number will flucuate and that's OK. I do write my weight down once a week, and use that to see how I'm doing overall.

Right there with ya, Kacee and RagDoll -- buck naked and light in the bladder.

But, I'm very familiar with fluctuations, I just don't let them bother me. I'm a "the truth is rarely as scary as my imagination" sort of person. So if I go a long period without weighing, I can think, "Man, I feel like I'm putting on weight! I may as well have another slice of pizza...." But if I know I'm doing good -- even if it's just maintaining, I think it helps me in the long run.

30+ years ago when I was a skinny little teenager the new pastor's wife was my Sunday School teacher. I was somewhat amazed that she was my mother's age, yet still had a figure as nice as her daughters....unlike almost every other middle-aged woman I knew. So I asked her.... She told me she weighed every day and if she saw a jump up, she knew to make very smart choices when she ate.

I like to weigh daily and graph it on Daily Plate. This way I can look back to when I started tracking in April and appreciate how well I have done-even if the scale hasn't moved in the last few days. Also I tend to drop 1.5 to 2.5 pounds at a time and then it goes up and down a pound for a couple of days.

Guilty! Daily, Naked, no fluids in me. I gained 1.5 lbs moving from liquid to mushies in 3 days. I know it was just my body adjusting but devistating nonetheless. those .2 .4 .6 lbs make or break my day. I know I need to break the habit, but as a former wrestler I am a scale junky! I wore thin shorts (commando), t-shirt, and flip flops to the Doc's today to weigh. Left my wallet in the car and put mey keys on the counter. How bad is that!

I threw my scale away in July... I was obsessing and getting mad.

When I went for my next fill in August, I was pleasantly surprised.

Well, tonight I broke down.. I've been going crazy wondering what I weigh.. so I just got back from Wal-Mart with a new scale..

And now I remember why I threw it away in the first place!!!!! :)

Guilty as charged. I weigh every morning and before I go to bed.

It was really hard for me to be at my dad's house for a week because his scales did not agree with mine. So I weighed myself right before I took him to the dr. then weighed myself on the dr. 's scale as soon as I got there. The dr. scales weighed me what I weighed at home.

I would completely freak out if I couldn't weigh every day. I guess I have OCD:rolleyes

I weigh myself every day.....the last two times I quit weighing myself I gained until I was afraid to weigh and then continued to gain and continued to deny.......SOOOOOO I'm weighing myself every day from now on!!!!!

I'M GUILTY TOO! I HAVE TO WEIGH MYSELF EVERYDAY. AFTER USING THE BATHROOM. IT HELPS TO KEEP ME ON TRACK. I'M ADDICTED TO THE scale. :kiss