Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Bandsters How are you Doing So Far

AMAZING!!!! You are all doing wonderful. If I can lose 2.5 more pounds by Feb 9 then I will have lost 75 pounds in 6 months. There is no way that I could have ever done this without the band.

Pizzicato - San Francisco is a great city...to visit, but I don't know if I would want to live there. It is SOOOOOOOO expensive so waiting for a company that would give you relocation expenses sounds like a good idea to me. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. As for the weight loss, 2 pounds is good. When I had my fill I actually lost more weight the second and third week than I did the first week. However, my body does not lose weight well when I am consuming a bunch of carbs and that is what I consume when I have to be on Protein Drinks. Next week you may drop those 3 or 4 pounds.

Well I have to go take my shower now. I just plain stink from running my .75 miles + additional miles that were walked. (Okay for those that post on the exercise thread, I am bragging over here too...I have no shame!)

Salsa, you're kicking butt!!! I'm so impressed that you're running!!! Maybe I'll be up to that when I get down in Onederland myself (if my feet get happier).

I had a great bellydance class last night. I've managed to finally master a step that I've struggled with for over a year, so the teacher is pushing us all by practicing that step for LONG periods of time. My hips and thighs were really feeling it when I got home, so I know I got some serious toning done. What I'm noticing is how much easier things are for me, and I actually can do some of the moves on my toes without my feet screaming in pain. That's HUGE!

What really got me giggling last week is that I did a "vibration" naked last week (was goofing around while getting dressed). I know I've got the move down, but it's bizarre seeing it without the clothes to cover things. I literally had "waves" of vibration traveling everywhere - what a hoot! I know, probably mega-TMI but it did amuse me quite a bit. I'll probably have to relearn moves as I get smaller because I won't be able to rely on my jiggly bits making the appearance of the move and will have to use the muscles more.

Anyway, good work everyone! Keep that motivation rolling!

Hey everyone! It's been a while. I've been so tired but the time I check my email, I'm so sleepy and can't seem to read or post. I'm doing well but I am really really trying to figure out how to lose 2 pounds per week consecutively. I'm proud that I'm almost at my 6 month goal of a 50 lbs weight loss! I really want to lose 8-10 lbs this month. This 50 lb weight loss is all since being banded as my dr. did not require weight loss b4. I did 2 day fast and went right into surgery. This is something funny and was very exciting at the moment.......I lost 10 lbs from last Thursday to Friday due to a fast/cleanse for a coloscopy. I got so excited but then gained a pound, then 2 pound, then another 2 pounds but finally did stabalize and netted a 3 lbs weight loss last week. So, am I on to something? I'm seriously thinking about fasting/cleansing at least 1 day a week. Any thoughts on that? Also, my colon test came back good and he found the source of my tail bone pain................hemorrhoids!!! I never had them b4 so was shocked but also thankful it wasn't anything any more serious! Anyone else ever had them? The meds are working though so it's all good. Well, getting sleepy......just wanted to check in and update!

Rumar, I was also thinking about doing a cleanse but can't figue out which one to do. I have been researching and there are so many out there!! What did you do for your test? Also, were you going to do that one again or a cleansing pill or juice? Let me know, I'm with you on this..

By the way, my ticker is broke, I've actually lost a little over 50 lbs. but it doesn't show it. Gotta get on that too...

I've never done any kind of cleanse but there are a lot of them out there that people swear by.

I've been thinking about getting a colonic. Has anyone ever had one? Any advice?

Hey all,

I can't say that I'd ever go for the whole fasting thing. Frankly, I don't think it's healthy, and I'm trying to use the band and eating plan since that comes from the clinic. I figure they know from experience! Have you asked your doc or nutritionist about it?

But, you need to do what works for you. I wish you luck no matter what!

As for me, I'm finally off my plateau! Even thoguh it's not my official weigh-in day, I did get on the scale, and lo and behold, I was down another 2 lbs, so I'm FINALLY under 220, in jeans, no less!!! Lord, what a relief! I didn't think I'd ever get into the "two-teens" - I guess we'll see what happens over the weekend. If I behave, I'll have that much off and hopefully a couple more lbs. PHEW!

If it was me, I wouldn't do them on a regular basis. The one thing you should ask yourself is "Can I live like this for the rest of my life?" If the answer is no or probably not, then it probably isn't something that we should be doing. This is about a lifestyle change. But this is just my opinion. You have to do what you think is best for you. I have not lost a pound in almost 2 weeks, but I don't think I am going to do anything too extreme. I may look at my carb intake and adjust that a little bit, but that is the most extreme that I would do. But again that is just my opinion.

Karri, sounds like good common sense to me. Your stall WILL pass - hang in there! Are you due for another adjustment, or is it a plain old stall? You might be putting on muscle too with all the workouts.

Back to the other topic of the day. I tried really hard to step back from my opinions on this topic, but heck, that's not me, so here goes..

I just caught the discussion on colonics - I've heard mixed things on it and what I've gotten out of reading around is that it's just a way of clearing things out faster that will come out when it's ready anyhow. Think about when you were on your preop fast and just after surgery - eventually you just run out of things to "produce" - there's nothing sticking around for years in there that has to be "washed out" that your own body won't clear on its' own.

From a quick google...

the truth behind colonics | PoopReport.com

yep - that site is called the "poop report" - how cute..

Confessions of a Quackbuster: Colonic Irrigation

colon cleansing and colonic irrigation scam

oh, and if you're considering the Master Cleanse (aka lemonade fast), this is worth a read (written by a physician).

The Master Cleanse Detox Diet is a Master Scam. Detoxification with the Master Cleanse Program is a Myth. - Dr. Z's Medical Report - HealthTalk

Karri, sounds like good common sense to me. Your stall WILL pass - hang in there! Are you due for another adjustment, or is it a plain old stall? You might be putting on muscle too with all the workouts.

NO FILL FOR ME!! 2 weeks ago I had to have a slight unfill because I had been so tight. After what I went through for a month I am not sure that I want another fill! No I am just at a good ol' stall. I lost 15 pounds last month because I essentially lived on Protein Shakes (too bad they don't have a puking smiley cause that is what should be inserted here) and Soups. So I halfway figured that it would slow down. I do think that I am gaining some muscle because my size 12 jeans are getting to big. The teachers at work today kept commenting that if I stepped wrong they were going to fall off. So I tried on a pair of size 10s and they fit, but they weren't as comfortable as I wanted them to be and I didn't like the color so I didn't buy them.

Well I am off to veg for the evening. I had a long day at work.

No, I'm not speaking of the same cleansing I had last week. I don't ever.....repeat ever want to drink that stuff or do the other part of that fast.......ever again. I had it done because of the pain I was having and because my sister had polyps removed at my age and I had a Grandfather to die of colon cancer. So there was a genetic link. I think they recommend one every 5 years after 50 or 55. Now that type of cleansing was just too drastic and i know would definitely be unhappy. But after it was all done, I felt a renewed sense of being and it really worked as a appetite depressent. After the procedure on Friday I was told to resume regular diet. I was given some juice and for the rest of the day, I did not want anything at all to eat which was strange. As a matter of fact, I had to make myself eat around 7 just because I was feeling too light on my feet. What I was thinking of as far as a fast is to have a day to mainly focus on liquids only just like the 3 weeks after banding but only 1 day. So no, I don't want to try any of those colonic cleansers. I do already drink a lot of Green Tea and hey it does cleanse you pretty goog.....LOL.

So back to my rear end problem. Has anyone ever had hemorrhoids? If so, did it become a continuing problem after meds? I can't beleive I went almost an entire year with rear pain fearing the worst (and blaming it on my weight). It is feeling almost 100 percent better though.

Thanks for your replys. I love this board!

Regarding plateaus,

Congrats Pizzicato and Salsa for moving past yours! I know Val had one too that I commented on in the exercise thread -- Congrats again Val!!! (I hope I haven't left anyone out.)

I find it interesting that a number of us are all hitting plateaus at approximately the same time. I wonder what that's all about, if anything..............

Anyhow, I have pushed past my 21 day long plateau as well with the scale moving down three pounds in less than 48 hours. Prior to this plateau I was losing weight steadily with the scale moving down a pound every few days like clockwork. I wonder how the weight loss will continue from here on in............

kaos-animal-cat-smiley-6100.gifCrazy Ates February Exercise Challengekaos-not-tagged-smiley-4829.gif

1/28 Exercise Sessions

weight.png

Banded 8/07/07 Dr. Miguel Zapata, Monterrey Mexico

I wonder the same thing. I'm glad we all seem to be moving again. I was planning on an average of 10 lbs a month and am on target now but we will see if I make 60 by my 6 month anniversary. I have gotten really anal about tracking my intake. I was slacking in that area during my plateau. That may make a difference for me. I was allowing myself too many treats and without proper fill, that was dangerous. The fill I had two weeks ago seems to have hit my sweet spot. :) I am so glad! I feel so much more in control!

More and more people are commenting about how I look and asking how I did it. With some I tell everything. I've gotten good repsonses.

Got in a workout yesterday but none today (unless you count housework and taking care of grandbabies!). Let's keep moving on down the clothing rack sizes! Congrats on the size 9, Salsa! :) I can't even imagine!

Enjoy the superbowl all!

Val

I think increased activity is one of the keys to maintaining the 2+ pound per week weight loss. As our bodies get lighter, we don't burn as many calories with the same amount of activity. When we were all carrying around an extra 50 pounds our bodies were having to work harder every time we moved, creating rapid weight loss. As the weight comes off we have to either workout harder/longer, eat less, or add back some some weight (like hand/ankle weights - not fat weight). A leaner body does have a more efficient metabolism, so that helps. I think the main reason the weight loss slows down though is because, like Val said, we sometimes slip in more calories than we think. If we keep close tabs on what goes in our mouths and how much we move, 8-10 pounds a month should continue to be pretty realistic for most of us. Of course, rapid weight loss is not essential to meeting our goals. If we choose to workout less and/or eat more we can still get where we want to be, just a little bit slower. This group is doing fantastic and will continue to because we are all highly motivated. Have a great week everybody.

Wow - great reports everyone!

Karri/Salsa - size 10's???? I"m in awe!!!! Glad to hear your band is behaving better now too. Real food is a definite improvement over shakes!

Frangi - glad to hear things are going down for you again!

Val - good for you for getting the food logging on track. I need to do the same!

Becky, you're a wise woman, and your tracker shows it! Keep up the great work!

I can't say that my eating was all that under control this weekend, but I can say the portions are much smaller than they would have been before surgery.

I did have a few NSV's this week:

- A friend stopped by with 2 bags of clothes as hand-me-downs. It felt really good knowing that I'm in the same size range as her, even if the items don't fit just right (too big in the waist, too tight in the legs/butt - she likes the "slimfit" stuff, which I wouldn't necessarily choose as a flattering option). This is going to sound a little immature, but it felt good to know I've caught up with her and will be passing her up in a bit - she's the one that's always drawn the looks and it would be fun to actually be the smaller one for the first time. Then again, I see myself naked every day. Nothing like a reality check to keep things on track. Ha!