Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Bandsters How are you Doing So Far

Hi everyone,

Just checking in. Salsa, I hope you feel better soon. Badonka - take care of yourself! The flu is awful.

My weight loss has stalled for a month now. I get my third fill on Wed. Last time I was at 3.25 and I am amazed that I didn't have more success with this much fill. Any helpful advice?

Dear Pigs Are Flying... Looks like we are kind of at the same spot. (with weight loss and surgery dates) ~~~~~ I just had my 2nd fill, and my band is full. I can only sip Clear Liquids. Let me know how your next fill goes! Looks like you are doing great anyway!

Urgh. I broke even (barely) today and looked over my numbers and noticed I'd only lost 6 lbs in the past 4 weeks. Granted, part of that was Xmas week, but still, very frustrating!

My doc left it up to me whether I come in for an appt and fill next week, so I'm going to keep it and see about a fill. I can chug down Water for the first time since surgery and food's getting down too quickly. Time for a refresher course on eating habits and a little more Fluid in the band!

I am excited that I can finally eat again. My doc was worried that I wouldn't be able to stay on a liquid diet until the 21st so he called Sat. morning. He asked me how I was doing and I said that I was starving. He said he wanted to see what I could eat to determine when I should come in. So he put me on mushies all day Saturday and told me that if I didn't have any pain that I could go to soft Proteins on Sunday and then to call him back last night. So that is what I did and it was so nice to be able to eat again. Since I was able to get over easy eggs, some tuna fish, and a piece of salmon down he said that I could wait until the 21st to come in. Otherwise he wanted me in today. He said that if the fill continues to feel like it is loosening that I could cancel my unfill appt. He told me to leave my next fill scheduled for the 26th of March and to just keep pushing it back unless I felt zero restriction. He said with my determination and change in lifestyle he felt that I could be with lesser restriction than some and still be successful. He said with me being so far away from the office (5+ hours) that he didn't want me being very tight if I could handle it. Well I will tell you this, I would rather have less restriction and have to handle some of the hunger than be so tight that I have to stay on liquids! It is funny, since being back on real food I have dropped 1.5 pounds. My body will not lose weight when I have to go on liquids. I don't know how I did it when I was on liquids for 2 weeks! Now, if I drop far below 1000 calories, the scale refuses to budge. I had to sneak the scale this morning. My boyfriend is only allowing me to weigh 2 times per week (I was becoming obsessed!) but as soon as he left for work, I grabbed the scale and ran into the bathroom. I just knew I would have lost weight now that I was back on real foods!

Well gotta get to work.

Salsa, Glad to hear you are doing better. That is some doctor you have !!!. Not many would call thier patients during the week, much less on the weekend. Its nice to hear good stories about our doctors and not just the bad ones that most people post.

Salsa, Glad to hear you are doing better. That is some doctor you have !!!. Not many would call thier patients during the week, much less on the weekend. Its nice to hear good stories about our doctors and not just the bad ones that most people post.

I love my doctor. He is really great and despite the fact that I am so far away, I am glad that I went with him. His staff is so caring and the office manager has emailed me everyday since I contacted them about being tight making sure that I don't need to come in. You are right about other doctors, though. I have heard some scary stories. I heard a nightmare from one of my students about the doctor that is about 10 miles from where I live. It made me feel so much better about my decision.

Great news Salsa. I'm glad you are able to eat again. I had a few days right around Christmas where I got too tight and it was miserable. You do have an exceptional doctor. I think you made a good choice with him.

Hi all....

Everyone is really zooming along. I'm feeling a little bit discouraged. Today I went for my 3rd fill. Previously, I had 1.7. I am now up to 2.1. So, let's hope that is a good number! From the scale in the dr's office, I am up 1/2 lb. Which, I suppose is NOT bad news. Last week, when I weighed myself at the gym, I was up 3 lbs. I admit that both of those gains are significantly better than what I would have done WITHOUT my band. It's just that the whole plan is to LOOSE! This got me to thinking about all of my efforts to loose weight in the past. Here I am eating significantly LESS than I have ever eaten and I gain 1/2 lb. So, no wonder I always struggled so badly trying to loose weight. So, even though I am banded....I still have the same metabolism....right? It's a thought that came to me as I was driving home from my appt. Is there really a way to rev up metabolism? That may be an absolutely ridiculous question and perhaps I know the answer. But, right now....I just can't think of a way to do this! supplements? Certain foods? Exercise? Vitamins?

Thoughts? Help!!!!!!!!!

Hi Judi! You are still doing great. I say making it through the "holi-daze" without gaining 10 pounds is a big accomplishment. I've read that eating Breakfast as soon as possible after waking in the mornings will get your metabolism going. And of course, exercise is the best metabolism booster. I wish it weren't so, but lots of studies tell us that it is. I don't know if there are supplements that really work. I do know that we all want to lose at the same rapid pace that we started at, but it does slow down. I'm starting to see that too. Try to be patient with yourself and remember, if you just lose one pound a week you will still be at goal by next Christmas. Hang in there and keep focusing on the long term goal.

Great post, Becky! Can you sit on my shoulder and tell me that all day?

Still, I hope my fill next week gets me back up and running!

Wow, all of you are doing great (and including myself). I do get discouraged too trying to figure out what to do to lose more steadily. So far it seems my pattern is to lose 5-6 lbs in a 2 week period then hold steady for 2-3 weeks or more. I up my calories to 1500 per a different dietician who said I wasn't eating enough......that didn't work. I bought it back down to 800....didn't work. Last week I added an additional 10 minutes to my walk and increased the pace......didn't work. As far as eating, I can only drink upon awaking up until about 11 a.m. Then I'll eat my lunch. Also I still get hungry every 2-3 hours (but yet I think I do have restricition). Since last fill, can't eat grits, eggs or bread (maybe 1 slice of wheat toast or about 6 whole grain soda crackers). I can hold about 2 cups of food versus the 1 that I should. Do I really have restriction? Maybe not but definely different. Oh, I've now gone about a week w/o PB'ng as I never knew eating the same thing the next day would come back up or not. At one point for about 2 weeks after last fill, I was PB'g everyday in the mornings. Anyway, again you all are doing fantastic and I still think my 46 lb weight loss is great.

Hey everyone.

I've been away for little while on vacation - can't say I'm a fan of the new format of the forum.

I just got back from 4 days in the land of buffets ... Vegas ... and still lost 2lbs!! Woo-Hoo!! I ate some crap but over all I did really well. Such an awesome trip! We went 2 years ago and my BF kept pointing out how different this trip was from our last. We walked, walked, walked, and walked some more. I never got tired and was able to keep up with him the whole time!! I also won $1000 on a slot machine right before we left!!!

Unfortunately, I came home feeling a little under the weather and we went to the emergency room last night. Strep throat. My doctor told me last year to think about getting my tonsils out but I hear that doesn't always help. I think I was hoping that with the weight loss my immune system would improve but this is the second time I've had strep this winter already.

The workout DVD's I ordered arrived while we were away. 'Walk Away the Pounds."

Oh well ... at least I have no appetite right now and an excuse not to exercise - lol!!

I'm glad to hear everyone is doing well and plugging along!

Hey Everyone, guess what? It's snowing in Atlanta today! Wow, twice in one week is something. Of course no one can drive in it here so it's best to stay home so I'm just chilling enjoying my family!!!

Snow in Atlanta - I'll swap you for -15 and sunny?! We're not supposed to break above 5 degrees for most of the week. This sucks!

Meanwhile, I'm still stalled. I checked my logs and I've lost about 4 lbs in a month, most of which happened in 1 week (compared to 12 per month before the holidays). This SUCKS! So, for the first time since surgery, I won't make a loss goal. Time to readjust, I guess.

I know more carbs and fat have snuck into my diet, and my portions have gotten bigger. I also noticed that I can almost chug Water now as well, so I know it's fill-time!

I'm going to use my post-fill liquids etc. as a good reason to get back on the prescribed diet and hopefully kick this back into gear. Knowing myself as well as I do after 41 years, I'm starting to get complacent and need to recharge my motivation. Suggestions are welcome!!