Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need words of wisdom

Help !!!

I am stuck on a long plateau. I was banded on 12/12/02 and have lost 68 lbs.

8 months. In the first 5 months I lost 58 lbs. In a 3 month period I have only lost 10 lbs.

I have had 3 fills. Can't remember the date of the first fill but it was appx. 6 weeks after surgery. The second fill was May 22 and the third just recently on August 6th.

The second fill and the third were pretty bad. They had alot of trouble finding the port. I wondered (and still do) if they might have done something BUT all fills were done with xray (Dr said everything was great) and I have restriction.

My appx daily food :

Breakfast : Protein Drink 50 grams (sometimes added coffee soy milk for favor)

lunch : Soup and/or 4/5 oz. chicken salad

snack : fat free pudding

dinner : Soup and/or chicken salad or ham salad or fish or something mushy (I am still in the mushy stage right now because of the recent fills)

snack : fat free ice cream bar

this is not what I eat everyday but close enough to give you an idea. I really do have more variety in my life

My Water intake is good as I have always been a Water drinker.

I take a Vitamin every morning.

I do not drink soda's (haven't for years) I do not eat white : no white bread, flour, rice etc...

Now I know some of the problem is my mobility. I have spinal stenosis and have also had a severe neck trauma. Which I am limited to movement. Right now the only thing they (Dr's) want me to do is stretching. No weights. I can do walking but this is still difficult for me but I am trying more everyday. I need some more of this weight off to help me get more movement into my life.

Anyone with a long period of time with no weight loss and has any suggestions, advise or anything to help me get going again would be so very appreciated

:D

I can't offer any advice I just wanted to say good luck and hope that this 3rd fill is the one for you.

take care

Thank you nickyjs

Sometimes just a few nice words (good luck) or that someone took the time to write, well it just makes a person feel better.

So Thank you.

Hope everything is going great for you.

Onemoment: You have lost 68 pounds - the equivalent of 272 sticks of butter - in eight months. Maybe I'll be thinking different after I get the band, but right now that just sounds so amazing to me. Isn't that also about 4 1/2 dress sizes lower (at 15 # per size)?

When I look ahead eight months - if I could be 68 pounds lighter by May 21, our anniversary, I'll cry for joy. Don't get discouraged -you've given me a LOT of encouragement! Thank you!!!

One moment,

I only have the following advice:

If you can't do strenuous exercise because of your back problems, considering finding a community pool to swim in and do Water aerobics and pilates to strengthen your body. Swimming will not injure any part of your body and is considered the best exercise for people with spinal or cervical problems.

Second,

I noticed that your diet has a lot of carbs and possibly many calories. If fat free products worked, everyone would be skinny and obesity would not have doubled in the last 5 years in the US.

Some of the questions I would ask myself are do I really need the mayo in the chicken salad? DO I really need the second low fat ice bar? Does the pudding offer Protein or anything of significant nutritional value? Could I replace that with a soft piece of meat or chicken? Also, the Soup seems like something that would be considered liquid and would wash the food down quicker, thus defeating the purpose of the band.

These are just ideas and I hope they help.

To Onemoment:

A couple of observations on your plateau:

1. You have lost an average of more than 8 lbs. a month since your surgery, that is EXCELLENT weight loss! Very experienced (years out) Bandsters say an average of 4 lbs. loss a month is good, you are at twice that! I think your body is just resting, adjusting, and will eventually start moving the scale down again after your very quick initial months of loss. I think you just got spoiled and expect to continue losing at the same clip!

2. I know you said you recently had a fill and that is why you are eating mushy foods, but the firmer the food, the better restriction you will have. The most conservative doctors usually prescribe 3 days of liquids after a fill, then solids after that, so the quicker you can eat solids, and the more of them you eat, the better!

3. Your diet seems high in sweets and carbs. Stick to high Protein, solid foods primarily, then fresh vegetables, then fruit, THEN carbs and/oir Desserts is you have any room left.

My story is that I have lost 40 lbs. since my surgery last December, 20 lbs. from the 2 week post surgery liquid diet, then basically plateaued, losing about 8 lbs. from January to July, because despite monthly fills, I had very little restriction. Then, with my 6th fill I finally got good restriction and lost 12 lbs. in about 3 weeks. I am finally on my way, but I hung in there and had faith. You can do it too! Good luck.

Mary in Sacramento

Thank you to all who answered my post.

I am going to try the suggestions and get in more solid foods. I am still having a hard time getting in the solids. Since this last fill it is the first time I have ever pd'd maybe the last fill might be a little aggressive. I think that is why I have stuck longer with the liquids and mush stage.

I was concerned about the weight loss as my doctor said I should loose appx. 10-12 lbs per month. And I was thinking "Please don't let me fail again"

I know that 68lbs is alot of weight (it's more then the weight of my son, a whole nother person) but I think I was looking at "the glass being half full" because I was thinking of the other 100lbs I still have to go. And if my weight loss goes as slow as the last few months...well....I am not getting any younger here :D

I am thankful I am at where I am...took two+ years and I have now had the surgery and have experienced weight loss. I know there are people out there still in their fight. My life has changed. I am able to walk for longer period of time. And I can do housework again (now who would think doing housework would make you happy :D ) I am thankful for my family and friends and for the people on this forum who have taken the time to help and share their experiences with others.

Sometimes I just take from the past and all the disapointments. I need to rethink and regroup and KNOW this time I WILL make it. Just learn and keep going.

To Onemoment

I admire your positive attitude! That is certainly the best way to think. And your doctor who thinks you should be losing 10-12 lbs. a month is wrong! That is very fast for a banded person to lose. It also sets you up for a feeling of failure if you don't accomplish that, which is very unfair to you. Most banded people lose 4-5 lbs. a month. As long as you are eating properly, exercising, and feeling comfortable and healthy, let your body lose the way it wants to!

Mary in Sacramento

onemoment,

I agree with bbrecruiter2000 in that you should try to find a pool that you can use. There is no way that your doctor can expect you to lose 10 pounds a month if you are not able to exercise... Exercise makes a big difference!

The only suggestions I have based on your diet is to watch the dressings and make sure you aren't eating creamed Soups with lots of carbs. I seem to do best when I have the absolute minimum amount of carbs in my diet - that might be the case for you too... Hang in there!