Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I was watching a series in the UK called "Fat Doctor," in preparation for surgery. I'm currently still in the paperwork/weight management phase. On this show, they said the chances of dying within 30 days of the surgery were 1 in 50. Is this true? I was feeling pretty confident in my decision, but now I'm starting to reconsider. Is this accurate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

I suppose that might have been true back in the 1960s (although I don't know for sure), but not any more. Weight loss surgeries are some of the safest surgeries out there. Techniques have vastly improved, they know a lot more about it now, and it's really become a routine surgery. The mortality rate for RNY is something like 0.3%; VSG is even less. That's safer than hip replacement surgery, and they do hip replacements every day. It's about the same as gall bladder surgery.

My surgeon has done weight loss surgeries for over 15 years and has never lost a patient.

That's what I thought! Granted, the show was filmed in 2007, and these patients were about 600lbs, so I guess that could increase the odds, but it literally took my breath away. I have 2 small kids.

actually, those stats *might* be true of people who weigh 600 lbs (I don't know for sure, though - I've never seen stats for that). I do know that a lot of surgeons won't operate on people who weigh that much. There are a few who do (like Dr. Nowzaradan from "My 600 Pound Life"), but not many. It would be considered a high risk surgery.

There was a post earlier this week using these exact stats. At least we know where it is coming from now.

It makes sense that in the super morbidly obese category.

Not sure where you currently sit in terms of size but this would certainly be a great starter question when you meet your surgeon. I would follow up with asking him/her what his/her mortality rate is. When you ask the surgeon they are usually pretty good about sharing the details of any death they might have had as well.

I would also venture to guess that staying over 600lbs and not having surgery has a higher death rate even yet. This is just a guess....given everything we know and have learned. If anyone has that mortality rate it might put things into perspective for people considering but struggling because they are afraid of the surgical death rate.

I was morbidly obese weighing 310lbs and sick as a dog. I honestly would have made this decision even if the mortality rate was 1 in 50 but again that is me. I wanted to be here long term for my children and grandchildren.

Best of luck to you!

I'm over 300 lbs. I'm only 40. My knees are crapping out on me, and so are my feet, due to arthritis and my weight. My kids are 3 and 5. I'm missing out on doing lots of cool stuff with them because of agonizing, constant pain, and I don't want my kids to get picked on because mommy is fat. Like I said, that statistic scared the ever loving crap out of me.

you'll be fine. Lots of us weighed over 300 lbs.

@@mreckner

I had RNY 21 months ago. I was a mess! High blood pressure, high cholesterol, severe gerd, sleep apnea, anemia, diabetes and stage 3 kidney disease. I also had arthritis of the knees, ankles, spine, shoulders.

As soon as the weight started coming off the pain in my feet and knees disappeared! So did all of those nasty comorbitities!

I am still struggling with the damage to my spine and shoulders which is permanent and won't get better with time.

I tell you this because you have young children which likely means you are young. If I regret anything it is waiting until I was 51 to bite the bullet and have this surgery. I missed out on so much but worse yet, the damage to my spine continued to get worse. I literally weigh a little more than half what I used to at 159. My highest weight was 315.

It is the best thing I ever did for myself! Everything will be fine if you do what they tell you to. You have a whole support team here behind you.

So, I was watching a series in the UK called "Fat Doctor," in preparation for surgery. I'm currently still in the paperwork/weight management phase. On this show, they said the chances of dying within 30 days of the surgery were 1 in 50. Is this true? I was feeling pretty confident in my decision, but now I'm starting to reconsider. Is this accurate?

Maybe they forgot a couple zeros; 1 in 500 or 1 in 5000.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App