Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Profile Port

I know this has been discussed a thousand times on the other forums, but I wanted to discuss it again here on the Life At Goal forum. Is anyone thinking of having their port replaced? Mine is really bothering me. Not so much that it's painful, but that it's visible (to me at least) through t-shirts. I've got an appointment in September to discuss this with my doc, but I just hate to put another scar on my torso. I think I'm going to have to though. Ugh.

I talked to my doc about this a couple of months ago. He explained that the low profile port isn't much "shorter" than a regular port but it really seems to make a huge difference. Dr. C wrote the same thing.

Mexican docs typically use a low profile port at the time of banding. Happens to be just yesterday I asked my doc why Mexico does this and the US doesn't. He said that most docs in Mexico do fills under fluoro so it doesn't matter which port is used. Most US docs do fills without fluoro and they need more help actually finding the port.

I have the low profile port, always have had it. I think it will stick out at goal. I was thinking about seeing if it could be moved somewhere else (such as under a muscle) if it does stick out. I'll wait and see once I'm there.

BTW, they won't create another scar replacing the port if they use the same location for the new port. He'll likely just open your old scar and use that location.

I had a Tummy Tuck and my old port scar is several inches below my belly button now, from where the skin was pulled down. I asked -- it would have to be a new scar -- I just think I've got to accept that.

Glad to hear Dr. C. says the low profile really makes a difference. I wondered about that, when looking at the two side by side....

Oh yeah! I forgot about your TT.

Well, at least it is a small scar. Not like a TT scar.

BTW, what do your TT scars look like?

The TT scars are substantial. I don't mind them at all because it's a reminder of what was, and it's so nothing compared to the pannus, but they're substantial. They are pretty flat though, so once they turn white (I hear that takes about a year) they won't be all that noticeable. They'll open them again when I have my thigh lift in November though, so I've got a while until they fade....

The TT scars are substantial. I don't mind them at all because it's a reminder of what was, and it's so nothing compared to the pannus, but they're substantial. They are pretty flat though, so once they turn white (I hear that takes about a year) they won't be all that noticeable. They'll open them again when I have my thigh lift in November though, so I've got a while until they fade....

I had a TT also and I need a thigh lift. I will be doing this also but I don't know when. Please keep in touch with the thigh lift and butt lift if you plan on getting that, in shich I need also. I want to know how it goes. I here the scar will just be an extension of the TT that goes around the back end.

Thanks

Josephine

I mostly lurk here but I just found out about the low profile port a couple of weeks ago. I had my PS consult

Highest

OK I begin to see why I don't post. I suck at it. I had my PS consult with Dr Aly in Iowa City couple of weeks ago. Going to have a lower body lift (too start). If I can get insurance to cover a panilectomy I can swing the balance. Dr Aly is really great and he even pointed out issues I didn't know I had. Well my port is midline right on my natural waist line. It has to be moved to one side for the lift, and I want to get a low profile one at the same time.

Debi

Highest 363

Consult 283

Surgery 238

Current 166

Goal 159

My port has been bugging me lately and I've been instructed by my doctor not to sleep on my stomach etc. cause it has been hurting!

Kind of sucks cause I can't really sleep any way comfortably so often have difficulty getting to sleep. The port sticks out and sometimes I get a pinching feeling there...

I haven't heard of this kind of thing before, but it's something I'm considering now.