Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pouch already stretched at 6 weeks out?

Hi, I've been feeling like I'm eating too much, and think I'm already going back to my old bad habits, my NUT program says Protein shake for Breakfast and dinner, a 1cup size of a kinda regular meal at noon (very little carbs and fat) and 2 Snacks in between (fruit). The problem is, I can't stand the flavor of the Protein Shake, I made my own recipe of a high Protein dessert which is made of 1 scoop of Protein powder (24 grams) + Greek yogurt (12.9) + milk powder (7.8) + cocoa powder or frozen strawberries and I have it once a day, besides that I try to eat as much protein as I can even in Snacks.< /p>

I know some of you will call me crazy but I feel hunger since 2-3 weeks ago, and I eat mostly out of hunger, let's say, lentils Soup for Breakfast 1 cup, fruit with yogurt for snack, my regular lunch (1 cup), protein dessert and another Soup or meat for dinner, some times I have a double snack. I don't really have so much trouble with my liquids, 84 Oz, most of the time half Water half 2% milk because I don't like the taste of Water. My waiting time between eat - drink - eat is about 10 minutes, some times less without consequences.

I stalled at week 3, had dumping syndrome once because I forgot I'm not allowed to have sugary drinks and once out of refried Beans ( and I mean real Mexican REFRIED beans), learned the lesson and never suffered again.

I've been losing very slowly for the last 2 week's and I want to know if any of you heard about a stretched pouch this early.

I had a gastric bypass last April 29th, initial weight 308, current weight 266.

It sounds a lot for 6 weeks, am I living this too fast?

Sent from my Sony Xperia

After RNY gastric bypass surgery, weight loss is generally achieved through meal volume control. The limits on meal volume are normally set by the surgeon's office. These requirements may vary a little from one doctor to the next. I am unfamiliar with the regiment that your doctor has set. The volume seems high to me. So I was wondering if you had a different operation such as mini-gastric bypass instead of RNY.

On the other hand you indicated a weight loss of 42 pounds in 6 weeks which is a good amount of weight.

I do not think you have stretched your pouch. The weight loss phase after surgery is relatively short and then you slide into the maintenance phase. My concern is that you might not maximize the amount of weight that you lose during this initial phase because you are exceeding meal volume requirements.

This is what I was told to follow...

Breakfast 8-8:30

2 oz

( Start drinking @ 9)

8 Oz Protein shake

16 oz of Water

(Stop drinking @ 11:30)

lunch @ 12-12:30

2 oz

Start drinking @ 1pm

8 oz Protein Shake

16 oz of Water

(Stop drinking @ 4:30)

Supper 5-5:30

2 Oz

Start drinking 6-bedtime

8 Oz shake

8 Oz water

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

After RNY gastric bypass surgery, weight loss is generally achieved through meal volume control. The limits on meal volume are normally set by the surgeon's office. These requirements may vary a little from one doctor to the next. I am unfamiliar with the regiment that your doctor has set. The volume seems high to me. So I was wondering if you had a different operation such as mini-gastric bypass instead of RNY.

On the other hand you indicated a weight loss of 42 pounds in 6 weeks which is a good amount of weight.

I do not think you have stretched your pouch. The weight loss phase after surgery is relatively short and then you slide into the maintenance phase. My concern is that you might not maximize the amount of weight that you lose during this initial phase because you are exceeding meal volume requirements.

I lost 10 pounds pre-op and 36 post-op, I had a RNY and I have the same concern, first 3-4 weeks were way too rough, could barely eat or drink without feeling discomfort but now it seems I'm doing better and eating more than I should.

Sent from my Sony Xperia

2 oz

( Start drinking @ 9)

8 Oz Protein shake

16 oz of Water

2 oz

Start drinking @ 1pm

8 oz Protein Shake

16 oz of Water

2 Oz

Start drinking 6-bedtime

8 Oz shake

8 Oz water

@danieluv6 I didn't have Protein shake until week 3 because it gave me stomachache, but I wasn't eating this much at that time, I think I had something like your program.

Sent from my Sony Xperia

2 oz

( Start drinking @ 9)

8 Oz Protein shake

16 oz of Water

2 oz

Start drinking @ 1pm

8 oz Protein Shake

16 oz of Water

2 Oz

Start drinking 6-bedtime

8 Oz shake

8 Oz water

@danieluv6 I didn't have Protein shake until week 3 because it gave me stomachache, but I wasn't eating this much at that time, I think I had something like your program.

Sent from my Sony Xperia

I am 4 weeks post op. I can't eat more than 1/4C, and that's only if it's pureed. If it's a soft solid food, I do good to keep 1-2T down. I am doing no sugars (including fruit), and no carbs to speak of.

I do a shake for breakfast, and then a Protein drink (I bought the non-flavored whey Protein isolate and mix it with flavored water) later in the afternoon. I do a small lunch, but never more than 1/4C (hummus, Soup, cottage cheese, black Beans, etc), and then for dinner I'll do a 2.6ounce pouch of tuna, or grilled fish... and then maybe another Protein Drink later.

I follow the No drinking 30 before or 30 after to the T... the reason? Because you don't want to push that food out of your pouch early... drinking sooner than that can actually make you more hungry... this is the hardest thing for me too, because I used to like to wash my food down!

1 Cup seems like a lot to me, but I'm only going by what my plan says, and the fact that I apparently have a very picky pouch to boot!

The meal regiment used by @@deanieluv6 is typical for RNY gastric bypass patients at the beginning of the process. @@AnnaValenka I recommend you review the meal plan given by your surgeon and follow it if you want to maximize your weight loss.

The three most important elements after RNY is meeting your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting store fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

I am 4 weeks post op. I can't eat more than 1/4C, and that's only if it's pureed. If it's a soft solid food, I do good to keep 1-2T down. I am doing no sugars (including fruit), and no carbs to speak of.

I do a shake for breakfast, and then a Protein drink (I bought the non-flavored whey Protein isolate and mix it with flavored water) later in the afternoon. I do a small lunch, but never more than 1/4C (hummus, Soup, cottage cheese, black Beans, etc), and then for dinner I'll do a 2.6ounce pouch of tuna, or grilled fish... and then maybe another Protein Drink later.

I follow the No drinking 30 before or 30 after to the T... the reason? Because you don't want to push that food out of your pouch early... drinking sooner than that can actually make you more hungry... this is the hardest thing for me too, because I used to like to wash my food down!

1 Cup seems like a lot to me, but I'm only going by what my plan says, and the fact that I apparently have a very picky pouch to boot!

Thanks @@pammieanne, you are right, I've been reading and I will go back to respect the 30 minutes rule and call my NUT to check the program, it's only 5-6 days since I started eating this much, so I hope is not too late.

Sent from my Sony Xperia

The meal regiment used by @@deanieluv6 is typical for RNY gastric bypass patients at the beginning of the process. @@AnnaValenka I recommend you review the meal plan given by your surgeon and follow it if you want to maximize your weight loss.

The three most important elements after RNY is meeting your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting store fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Thanks @@James Masurek, I'm calling my NUT today, I really needed some enlightenment from someone who understand, I live in Mexico and I wasn't able to find a support group near to me, my Bariatric team has some good reputation where I live, I have a counselor as well, they make you pay for some appointments in advance so you don't have to be by your self after surgery and they keep you scheduled to check on you.

Sent from my Sony Xperia

I am only supposed to have 1/4 cup at each meal. I cannot drink 30 minutes before and 60 minutes after a meal. Trying to get my Water in is very difficult. I generally have a shake for Breakfast and that way I don't have to do the 30/60 rule.

My doctor's guideline is 1/4 - 1/3 cup from 0-3 months. At 6 weeks I think 1 cup is a lot. But, then again the pouch size that your doctor did could be different based on their program.

I have a Protein shake in the afternoon. I was told no Snacks at all. Only 3 meals per day. The Protein shakes do not count as a "meal" as I need these to supplement the Protein.

I am only supposed to have 1/4 cup at each meal. I cannot drink 30 minutes before and 60 minutes after a meal. Trying to get my Water in is very difficult. I generally have a shake for breakfast and that way I don't have to do the 30/60 rule.

My doctor's guideline is 1/4 - 1/3 cup from 0-3 months. At 6 weeks I think 1 cup is a lot. But, then again the pouch size that your doctor did could be different based on their program.

I have a Protein shake in the afternoon. I was told no Snacks at all. Only 3 meals per day. The Protein shakes do not count as a "meal" as I need these to supplement the protein.

@@SubieGal28 I was having 1/2 cup since the puree stage, I'm having an appointment with my NUT next week, hope everything is fine.

I am coming up on 6 years in August. Over the last few months I have noticed that even though I stay within my calorie count, fat, sugar & Protein limits I am gaining weight. I normally float anywhere from 2-3 pounds per weeks, however from yesterday to today I gained 6 pounds. I am terrified that I have stretched my pouch, I still get full quickly and sometimes still get sick on certain foods. Should I be concerned?

Thanks

Aimee

I am coming up on 6 years in August. Over the last few months I have noticed that even though I stay within my calorie count, fat, sugar & Protein limits I am gaining weight. I normally float anywhere from 2-3 pounds per weeks, however from yesterday to today I gained 6 pounds. I am terrified that I have stretched my pouch, I still get full quickly and sometimes still get sick on certain foods. Should I be concerned?

Thanks

Aimee

This has to be Water weight - it's not possible to gain 6lbs of fat overnight. Have you been drinking enough? With the warmer weather- you'll need to drink more. Keep an eye on sodium too.