Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My lap 7-year lap band journey!

I had a lap band for over 7 years. I was one of those people that followed all of the rules with my band. I chose a great doctor and had great success with the band. I made tons of friends, well over a hundred, that also had the band. I sit here today honestly amazed that they still perform this surgery in the United States. For every one person I know that I can say is happy they still have their lap band I can think of 20 that regret the decision. I was enamored with my band and it took me a long time to realize how much of a flawed surgery it really is and how it's such a temporary solution that's nearly guaranteed to fail in the long run.

I still believe in weight loss surgery. In fact, I just had a revision over to the sleeve. The heartburn and acid reflux along with always trying to find the elusive 'green zone' became too much and I was unwilling to let my band do any more damage to my body.

I don't write this post to discourage, but to encourage people to really dig into the posts on this site. Understand that I have been on this site and others like it for almost 10 years and I can absolutely say without a doubt in my mind that the lap band is not a good surgery. If you don't believe me then just look through the posts on this site that have been here for years where people are in pain and have lost not just one, but sometimes multiple bands.

Obviously, we are all adults and if you still choose to get a lap band or if you are someone that has gotten and band and has been successful then that is fine and I have no ill words for you. Just realize that those that get banded and keep their band for over 5 years successfully are extremely rare and they should count their lucky stars.

I leave this here as a testament to my lap band journey. I started it at 325lbs, lost 127lbs, then regained 102lbs back after having to have my Fluid removed. I tried to love my band, I really did. It's just really damn hard to succeed at something you are set up to fail at from the very beginning.

**EDIT** Please forgive the title and any spelling/grammar mistakes as I blame them on my current pain medication!

Edited by PaulStephens1975

Guy. I'm sorry to hear that. You and I have been friends for a long time. I wish you success. See ya on fb

I had a lap band for over 7 years. I was one of those people that followed all of the rules with my band. I chose a great doctor and had great success with the band. I made tons of friends, well over a hundred, that also had the band. I sit here today honestly amazed that they still perform this surgery in the United States. For every one person I know that I can say is happy they still have their lap band I can think of 20 that regret the decision. I was enamored with my band and it took me a long time to realize how much of a flawed surgery it really is and how it's such a temporary solution that's nearly guaranteed to fail in the long run.

I still believe in weight loss surgery. In fact, I just had a revision over to the sleeve. The heartburn and acid reflux along with always trying to find the elusive 'green zone' became too much and I was unwilling to let my band do any more damage to my body.

I don't write this post to discourage, but to encourage people to really dig into the posts on this site. Understand that I have been on this site and others like it for almost 10 years and I can absolutely say without a doubt in my mind that the lap band is not a good surgery. If you don't believe me then just look through the posts on this site that have been here for years where people are in pain and have lost not just one, but sometimes multiple bands.

Obviously, we are all adults and if you still choose to get a lap band or if you are someone that has gotten and band and has been successful then that is fine and I have no ill words for you. Just realize that those that get banded and keep their band for over 5 years successfully are extremely rare and they should count their lucky stars.

I leave this here as a testament to my lap band journey. I started it at 325lbs, lost 127lbs, then regained 102lbs back after having to have my Fluid removed. I tried to love my band, I really did. It's just really damn hard to succeed at something you are set up to fail at from the very beginning.

**EDIT** Please forgive the title and any spelling/grammar mistakes as I blame them on my current pain medication!

I totally understand I had the lap band 2010 ..I scared and depressed cuz I'm gaining the weight back this sucks .its my fault because I was stress eating .I was doing awesome until a year ago .debating on the gastric sleeve

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

Guy. I'm sorry to hear that. You and I have been friends for a long time. I wish you success. See ya on fb

Thanks bayou. So far I'm really enjoying my band. However, I enjoyed my lap band at first too though so it's a little too early for me to hang the Mission Accomplished banner. Lol.