Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had DS Tuesday 060716, am having a really hard time taking my vitamins and drinking enough protein. I feel like I am about to vomit all the time...

I had my surgery 4 days ago and did really well in the hospital, the surgery went well and I was released by a little after noon the next day. Since I have been home I am having the hardest time ingesting my Vitamins, medications and the Protein that I am required to consume, along with the Water. I am feeling very nauseated all the time and have to force myself to drink as required. The tastes are fine, I actually like the Protein Drinks I love drinking water and was a 96 oz a day person for the past 5 years. I am really struggling getting everything down. I have not vomited, I just feel like I am going to. I have a pretty bad hiatal hernia hernia and stage 3 Barrett's esophagus so I really need to avoid vomiting. I just don't know what I can do to make the nausea stop. I have taken my prescribed promethicone and am using gas ex and tums....

Right after surgery your body is in a major heal mode. Therefore it is common for individuals to be unable to meet their daily Fluid and Protein requirements. Just keep working toward it and you should eventually get there in a few weeks.

After my RNY surgery, everything tasted different. I couldn't even drink the Water in the hospital because it tasted excessively chlorinated. Then when I got home I couldn't drink milk because I became lactose intolerant. Eventually after a couple months that condition went away. Also I lost my ability to swallow even medium size pills. So it was rough at the beginning. I used a pill splitter and pill crusher. I found that sometimes experimentation led to solutions. For example the use of hot or cold fluids. Hot tea went down easier than plain Water.< /p>

What vitamins/minerals are you taking? What kind of Protein?

I didn't take many pills in the beginning. It was chewable things or crushed pills in applesauce or yogurt. I was on puréed foods for several weeks. If you PM me your email addy I can email you the docs my surgical team distributed for the first month postop. Maybe they can help you out.

Edited by Postop

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches