Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realistic Weight Loss/ Surgery Day

Hey everyone! I'm new here, just finished up my pre approval requirements for insurance purposes. Waiting on my official approval now. RNY was my surgeon and I's preferred surgery. A little back story, I'm 24 years old. I have PCOS, but other than that I'm generally healthy other than my obesity. I currently am 5.6 and weigh 289 pounds. I'm hoping to weigh 150 after everything is said and done. I was just wondering if this is realistic or possible? Or if I'm setting myself up for failure ahead of time ???? also, any suggestions for what to pack for surgery day and stay? I look forward to any help or suggestions yall have! Thank you!

I would say that's resononable. Just remember that everyone is different, there is no set amount. From what I read and the people I know that have this, a lot of them meet their goal, but few keep it. It seems to be a 25-30% gain back for long run. You might have to keep working really hard for the 150, your body might want to hover around 175. The long term is in your hands. My biggest advice is to not expect a guarentee that what you read and know and what you have been told will happen, doesn't always. I, personally am having a really rough go. But then again, another woman in my group had a wonderful surgery, easy hospital stay and moved seemlessly through all the stages . Says she has so much energy, the weight is coming off and never been happier. It's hard work. Be ready for things not to go as plan, be great full when they do, and I send positive vibes for a wonderful experience.

I would say that's resononable. Just remember that everyone is different, there is no set amount. From what I read and the people I know that have this, a lot of them meet their goal, but few keep it. It seems to be a 25-30% gain back for long run. You might have to keep working really hard for the 150, your body might want to hover around 175. The long term is in your hands. My biggest advice is to not expect a guarentee that what you read and know and what you have been told will happen, doesn't always. I, personally am having a really rough go. But then again, another woman in my group had a wonderful surgery, easy hospital stay and moved seemlessly through all the stages . Says she has so much energy, the weight is coming off and never been happier. It's hard work. Be ready for things not to go as plan, be great full when they do, and I send positive vibes for a wonderful experience.

Thank you so much for your advice! I'm so sorry things aren't going as well for you. I hope things start to look up soon. Sending well wishes your way!

Thanks! You are younger than me, so I am sure you will do awesome! Bring slippers and warm things! The hospitals are so cold! They make ya walk all the time too, so if ya don't like those gray gripper socks, maybe a different slipper or shoe.

Thanks! You are younger than me, so I am sure you will do awesome! Bring slippers and warm things! The hospitals are so cold! They make ya walk all the time too, so if ya don't like those gray gripper socks, maybe a different slipper or shoe.

Great idea! I never thought of that.

I am also 24, and 5ft6, and I've lost 155 since surgery last August. I've got a ways to go still, but I've already far surpassed what I felt was even possible. I'm 9.5 months post op and still losing consistently, albeit much slower than the first 7 months or so. You can do anything! Just gotta take the leap. Honestly, even if I were stuck here forever, I would still be amazed and grateful for how much my life has changed. Good luck to you!

Just plan to REALLY make exercise a habit, especially yoga and strength training starting around 12 weeks. The surgery really takes the weight off in the beginning but the exercise is what keeps up your muscle mass which is what keeps the weight off long term. Go for it!

I am also 24, and 5ft6, and I've lost 155 since surgery last August. I've got a ways to go still, but I've already far surpassed what I felt was even possible. I'm 9.5 months post op and still losing consistently, albeit much slower than the first 7 months or so. You can do anything! Just gotta take the leap. Honestly, even if I were stuck here forever, I would still be amazed and grateful for how much my life has changed. Good luck to you!

Congrats to you! You're kicking butt. Thank you for your input!!

Just plan to REALLY make exercise a habit, especially yoga and strength training starting around 12 weeks. The surgery really takes the weight off in the beginning but the exercise is what keeps up your muscle mass which is what keeps the weight off long term. Go for it!

I'm going to start planning ahead to get myself into a routine for exercise. Thank you for your advice!!