Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who else has the 10cc Lapband??

I was banded on 11/5. I couldn't figure out why I was so hungry and could eat so much when I finally got on mushies and then solids. It was almost as if I had not been banded at all! But then, I went to see my surgeon for a follow up on the 24th and the first thing he said to me was "I bet you can eat a LOT more than you thought you would be able to!" I said yes, so then he explained that he and his partner had started using the 10cc lapband (is that the VG?) because it is larger and allows for better healing after surgery and is supposedly safer and healthier than the smaller size. Those are his words, not mine, although maybe that explains why I just bounced back to normal so quickly after surgery. Anyway, he told me that all of the patients who got the 10cc have had the same complaint - we can all eat like a horse! Therefore, those patients can get their first fill in the 5th week instead of waiting for the sixth. I am scheduled for Dec. 8. But I am just wondering if anyone else on this board is having the same experience with a 10cc band? I am a little disappointed that I didn't get to have a substantial weight loss during that first month or so...

Blossom - I don't have the 10cc only the 4cc, but I can eat a horse right now too, and could 3 weeks out from surgery. I get my first fill on Dec. 8th too. You will have to keep us posted on your progress with the bigger band.

You know, I still can't figure why someone who weighs 226 and has a 38 BMI would need the 10cc. I think it was too big for me! The Inamed website says it is really good for people who have a BMI > 45. Geez, I've only lost 5 lbs!!! I tried to follow the nutritionists guideline of eating only 1/2 to 1 cup, but I am WIDE OPEN and that amount just doesn't cut it! If I couldn't do that before the band, how can I do that with an unfilled 10cc band? Well, I better get some good restriction with that fill, I really need it, LOL!

I need to check what size I have because I have not had a fill yet and can eat almost everything I want. This is bad for me. I am just hoping to maintain my loss from the beggining until my fill. My DR. said not to start counting weight loss until the first fill but I would feel like a failure if I gained back the weight I have lost. I can still eat over half of what I would have normally eaten. Again bad that I know this and I need better will power. Hopefully my workouts will counter my eating. I am scared to weigh but will try to stay off the scale until my fill so I don't get discouraged and eat everything in sight. Cause I definately could.

Come on fill! I scheduled mine Dec. 13. I'll try the small plate thing that sounds like a good idea. I know my band is there just hoping the fill will make it more noticable.

Hey Ladies,

I have the 11cc Band from Inamed. I couldn't figure out why my Dr. put it in me either...my BMI was 32.5 .........After the surgery, I could eat like a hungry cow! He said he put 4cc's in the band during surgery. I still could eat like a cow.....I only lost about 9 pounds during my first 6 weeks. I went back for a fill and got 1.5cc's and started losing right away. (Not like the others on this board though) So far I am only down 15 pounds.....but it has kicked in! I would like another 1.5cc's to really feel like a true bandster.

I have no idea why he used the 11cc band on me. Anyone have any ideas on this? Good luck to all!

Guest daveoinokc

I have the 10cc vanguard band also. I was banded on 6/24.I got very sporadic or little restriction till 6 weeks ago. I am not at my "sweet spot" yet, but I am very happy with the results, and cannot eat whatever I want like I could after the surgery .I have learned that the band is not a quike fix, by any means. My Dr. did not know I had a 10cc band and was filling it like a 4cc band. I did not think it would ever work. I am now at 6cc and I am losing. I have lost 40 lbs in 6 months, which is way less than I wanted to lose by now, but I am very happy that I got banded, and I know it does work and it will come off.My doctor told me that the 10cc band is much better becuse it is designed different. It does not have a "tube" or balloon, but instead little pouches all the way around. It(he says) is also better for people who have alot of fat pockets around their stomach, becuse as they lose the fat, they will need more fill, and this band has plenty of room.I hope this helps---Dave

Good Question!!! I will add that my book of questions I have for my doctor on Friday at my preop visit. The 10cc really sounds like the best idea, but then again, more is not always better. May your band be your best friend, regardless of size.

Well, I am glad to see I am not alone in this, LOL!!! Even though I know that any weightloss achieved before the first fill is purely a bonus, I can't help but feel a bit cheated out of that first magical month to 6 weeks when so many bandsters lose a substantial amount of weight. Hey, maybe we should form the 10cc club! ;-) Apparently our weightloss journey will be quite different from those who have the smaller size.

hey harleynana

not long till we both get on the other side of the fence and are true bandsters..lol...just in case i dont get a chance to mail on here again i wanted to wish you luck and i hope everything goes smoothly for you. i fly out to lyon for my preops on saturday and then the op on monday 6th. feel like xmas is comming early this year dont you .....

Not sure what cc band i am getting but i will be sure to ask now.. i know i have a choice of the swedish or the Inamed so i think this is something i need to talk over with my surgeon..

warmest regards

tracey

Blossom, I had my almost 6 week check up today. I found out that I have the 10 cc band as well. I asked him why and his response was " I think that is all they make now. We use what they send us." Of course this is the same doctor that did not know that there was a new band until I told him.

I thought that I was going to be able to get a fill today, but I have to wait until December 15th. I cannot wait as I have very little restriction now. However, I have REALLY tried to not over eat and stretch things out. However, I know that I have a little, or it is just that things are going through without the restriction.

Let me know how your fill goes on the 8th. I forgot to ask him if there is any saline in there now. I guess I will find out when I go in on the 15th.

I know that if I REALLY listen to my body it does tell me I am full with a small amout of food, but the old way of thinking makes me keep eating. I over ate today as I put too much on my plate. You know that feeling it is on my plate I have to eat it. I hve to go back to not putting more then I can eat on my plate.

Good luck

I I am a little disappointed that I didn't get to have a substantial weight loss during that first month or so...

Not everyone has a substantial weight loss in the first month. As a matter of fact, you'll see over and over again, new bandsters bemoaning the fact that they can eat as much as they want and they're not losing weight! :D

It's really sad that most doctors don't educate their patients more about what to expect that initial 6 weeks out. It's not uncommon at all to even re-gain the initial weight lost once you re-introduce mushies/solids back into your diet.

The folks who have the most weight loss that first few weeks are lucky enough to have some restriction right outa the box (most don't - irregardless of which band) OR they have a larger BMI to begin with, which takes more calories to maintain.

You're really looking wonderful already! This is not a race. Usually with the VG, they give a much more substantial fill in the beginning, so it really all evens out in the long run. :)

What??? I ain't banded yet, and I still kin eat (nearly) as much as I want and not lose weight!!! Maybe God really DOES want me fat???

Don't make me smack you, Jack! Get a band! God does NOT want you to be fat! lol

Guest ngs

I have the Vanguard 11 cc. So far I have had 2 fills, for a total of 5.5 cc. I'm getting my 3rd fill on 6/12/05. I can eat almost everything! My doctor said that the most fill he had placed in a patient was 9.5 cc and the least was 4 cc...he said it all depends on the individual. Well, I really need to find the perfect fill because I'm getting frustrated!