Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Soon After Sx Did You Get Your First Fill?

I posted this somewhere else too. I had surgery on 7/30/07 and have my first post op tomorrow. I don't even feel like I have a band right now. Any chance he might fill it tomorrow. The instructions I have say they fill it at four weeks, but I really need it now.

WHEN DID EVERYONE GET THEIR FIRST FILL?

I got my first fill 4 weeks after surgery. I felt some restriction for a few days and then felt exactly as I had before the fill. I didnt get any kind of restriction until my 3rd fill.

Good luck! Fills look scary but from my experience I had no pain at all.

I got my first fill 6 weeks after surgery. I went in for my 4 week post-op appt and was hoping for a fill only to find out my Dr does the first fill under flouroscopy and I would have to wait another 2 weeks for my first fill. I have that done 1 1/2 weeks ago and my next fill is schedualed for Sept 4th. It is really hard going 4 weeks before i can get my next fill.'

I have 1.5 cc's in . I need to ask the size of my band and find out what type of band that I have. I have some restriction but not enough. Can't wait for the next fill.

Banded 6/21/07

First fill 1.5cc

Second fill Sept 4th

I had surgery on May 3, 2007 and I went in for my first fill yesterday....he didn't do it because I have lost 40 pounds in three months and he doesn't want it to come off any faster. His exact words were "I don't want to rock the boat, you are doing so well that we'll just wait another couple of months." I am happy about that.....I do have a major difference in what I can eat since surgery and so far it is working just like it is. I can't imagine having no change and having to wait so long for a fill.....best of luck to y'all. Hang in there.

The manufacturer's recommendation is to wait at least 6 weeks so everything has had a chance to heal completely. If you are hungry in the meantime, go ahead and eat! This is a long-haul journey, not a sprint, and a few extra calories during this pre-fill time is not going to mean it never works for you. Don't press for a fill too early because that could lead to problems down the line.

Becky, I think that your doctor is checking your incisions tomorrow to see if they are healing. I do not think that you will get your first fill, but I could be wrong. Mine is also 6 weeks after my surgery. Since I have a VG band (very large band) it seems that I can eat about anything and everything, but I am really trying to stick to my mushy food. Have not lost anything for a week. I know how you feel and like they say:this is a healing time. My dietician even said to throw my scale out the window! Nah, can't do that, somebody might get hurt. Keep in touch and we will get there.

I was scheduled for 8 weeks post op so have about another 3 weeks to go before my first fill. I asked the surgeon if it was an "automatic" fill and he said in about 75% of cases yes. I have lost about another 12 lbs since my 2 week post op checkup (54 lbs pre and post op!!) so I am wondering if I might fall into that 25% that does not get a fill.

I am very careful about eating now and don't push my luck with the band by testing the limits. I chew small bites thoroughly and don't drink for 20-30 minutes afterward. I think that as long as I am losing weight that I can live just like this. If I stop losing then fill r up. I like the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach. I hope the Dr. does too.

Anyone have a similar experience or agree with me?