Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cleanliness after surgery

I tried searching for this and found nothing so I suppose I will ask.

I am able to, with some contorting, to clean myself after a BM. I can't imagine being able to do that after surgery for a while. I am short and big, 5'2" and 314 currently, and carry most my weight in my stomach area.

Please tell me I won't need someone to assist me doing *that* after surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

They have those plastic wands that you can put T-paper or wipes on the end of. I have seen them in "older people's" catalogs. Maybe get one of those or rig one up (to throw away of course!)

They have those plastic wands that you can put T-paper or wipes on the end of. I have seen them in "older people's" catalogs. Maybe get one of those or rig one up (to throw away of course!)

I actually have one of those for when my back just won't let me reach but you have to get a good squat to use it and I can't imagine squatting like that either lol

@@GoingRogue You just made me laugh. I can't answer your question but it's a good one. I haven't had surgery yet but I will be figuring out a way of wiping my own bum (pain or not).

Right? My mom was a nurse and would totally wipe my butt as would my wife but honestly, no, just no.

Not going to lie, I never thought about this. I never used them, and not sure if they work, but Amazon sells bidets for about $30. They hook into your toilet's Water supply and mount under the toilet seat. Other than that, I'm not sure. I would rather wear Depends than have someone clean me.

I tried searching for this and found nothing so I suppose I will ask.

I am able to, with some contorting, to clean myself after a BM. I can't imagine being able to do that after surgery for a while. I am short and big, 5'2" and 314 currently, and carry most my weight in my stomach area.

Please tell me I won't need someone to assist me doing *that* after surgery.

Before I checked out of the hospital, I had an occupational therapist stop by to see what I might need. This is something appropriate to bring up with an occupational therapist or even the nursing staff.

My wife got a little portable bidet that she used for a while. It has a folding wand on the end so it's semi-purse size so she could use it anywhere she was.

I can reach fine now, but at my highest weight there were definitely a lot of contortions needed for wiping. I ordered a bidet off of Amazon and I absolutely love it. No contortions needed- just pull the lever and a stream of Water shoots up and leaves you sparkling clean. I'll never go back to just using TP- using the bidet feels so much more hygienic. And the model that I got has a wand for the front end as well, which is great for when Aunt Flo visits.

I don't know if it's the surgery is done in the same way in the US as here in the UK, but for a Gastric Sleeve the procedure is done via Keyhole Surgery so wounds are fairly minimal. With all the medication I was on and the lack of food intake post op I didn't go to the toilet for like 3 or 4 days afterwards anyway and didn't even feel like I was constipated. Within this time your wounds aren't as sore so allows for movement. You also may be told you can't shower however the wounds again are on your stomach so I found from my belly button downwards I could still wash in the shower (or a bidet of course) so doing that may be an option

I could never understand why Americans seem to be so freaked out about bidets (yes I am an American). It's as if many seem to think that they're gross. I agree with some of the other posters, a bidet seems like a fab idea. Much cleaner and overall hygienic than dry paper alone! I'm gonna get one a dem Water squirter butt cleanin thingies!

Change your shower head to the kind that are removable, especially if you're not ok with the idea of a bidet. Super helpful and you'll love how clean your parts feel forever after. ☺

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

Change your shower head to the kind that are removable, especially if you're not ok with the idea of a bidet. Super helpful and you'll love how clean your parts feel forever after. ☺

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

This! I love having a hand-held shower head.