Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Orbera Balloon Scheduled for 5/19 and I'm Freaking Out!

I'm getting my balloon placed next week and I feel like the medical center is not giving me all the info I need to be prepared. Maybe I'm just too much of a planner but I don't think I have everything I need. I'm going shopping this weekend and finding out most of what I need from this forum. Like are we supposed to know we need a wedge pillow?!?! Is there a memo out there I'm missing??

I was also ill prepared, but I'm three weeks out and this is what I wish I had known:

The wedge pillow to reduce gastric reflux

supply of high Protein drinks; I'm still not managing solid foods

Reglan which I asked for 2 days after the procedure. It worked. The Nexium and zofran only helped marginally those first days.

Use a laxative before the procedure because between anesthesia and the presence of a "foreign object" in the stomach slows down peristalsis and severe Constipation will increase the likelihood of increased vomiting.

You may be relegated to a liquid diet longer than they are telling you so stock up on chicken beef or vegetable bouillon. Having something warm is satisfying and just feels good.

I am so glad I'm retired because there is no way I could have gone to work before 10 days passed.

Be prepared to be fatigued for a few weeks.

Cream Soups are also good, but for those with veg or potatoes, I am straining them for now.

I wish you the very best and look forward to reading about your progress. This is truly worth it. I lost 16 pounds in 21 days.

I'm getting my balloon placed next week and I feel like the medical center is not giving me all the info I need to be prepared. Maybe I'm just too much of a planner but I don't think I have everything I need. I'm going shopping this weekend and finding out most of what I need from this forum. Like are we supposed to know we need a wedge pillow?!?! Is there a memo out there I'm missing??

Welcome to my world! ;-) I felt the same way. I did a lot of research, read just about everything related to the balloon here and asked a lot of questions ... primarily because I didn't get a ton of info from my doctor's office. So I know exactly how you're feeling.

I don't recall where I read about the wedge pillow or if I just made that leap based on being told that you might need to be propped up due to gastric reflux, but I definitely was not told by my doctor to get one. Regardless, I bought one in advance, just to be safe (it was not expensive so it seemed like a reasonable investment). I ordered it on Amazon (love Prime!), along with other supplies. In hindsight do I think it was a necessity? No ... but it didn't hurt. It ends up that I didn't need it for reflux at all, but somehow it made that first week more comfortable (I don't use it anymore, but it was a bit of a challenge to get comfortable at first). Having said that, some people do have reflux, and I'm guessing it would have been very helpful to them.

Don't worry - you'll be fine, and you're doing the right thing by stocking up. Most importantly, make sure that you have all of the meds that you need. That's more than half the battle right there.

Best wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It's good to hear I'm not alone. My doc doesn't have me doing any lab work prior to the procedure. Was that the same for you guys?

Welcome to my world! ;-) I felt the same way. I did a lot of research, read just about everything related to the balloon here and asked a lot of questions ... primarily because I didn't get a ton of info from my doctor's office. So I know exactly how you're feeling.

I don't recall where I read about the wedge pillow or if I just made that leap based on being told that you might need to be propped up due to gastric reflux, but I definitely was not told by my doctor to get one. Regardless, I bought one in advance, just to be safe (it was not expensive so it seemed like a reasonable investment). I ordered it on Amazon (love Prime!), along with other supplies. In hindsight do I think it was a necessity? No ... but it didn't hurt. It ends up that I didn't need it for reflux at all, but somehow it made that first week more comfortable (I don't use it anymore, but it was a bit of a challenge to get comfortable at first). Having said that, some people do have reflux, and I'm guessing it would have been very helpful to them.

Don't worry - you'll be fine, and you're doing the right thing by stocking up. Most importantly, make sure that you have all of the meds that you need. That's more than half the battle right there.

Best wishes!

I've been following up with the clinic regarding my meds. That's the one thing they really can't slack on giving me in advance. Hoping that it goes smoothly!

Edited by Esq123

It's good to hear I'm not alone. My doc doesn't have me doing any lab work prior to the procedure. Was that the same for you guys?

I had to have labs in advance. Don't know if that was more for baseline stats (like cholesterol and glucose) or if it was for anesthesia, but they checked all sorts of stuff.

I hate to say it, but I'm surprised how little support I've gotten from the doctor and nutritionist (and I've heard others say the same). I expected more ... but I found most of the info that I used to prep online myself. I did tell them that at my last visit, and the asked me to forward what I've found (for example, the booklets that I've posted elsewhere in this forum). I was one of their first patients so it sounds like they're still learning too.

Having said that, they were all over the meds. The doctor answered my questions before I asked them and had a list of everything that he was prescribing to me, which addressed everything that I had read here. That was the most important thing to me, so it was a huge relief.

I needed to be propped up most nights for months (I am in month 4).If you eat a light dinner, before 6pm, you might be ok. But that is hard to do in the real world, if you go out or have kids or have a full time job! I did not have labs from my doctor, but had gone to my primary for something else and she was fascinated with the balloon and had me get blood work done as a baseline. Turns our before my balloon I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. We did the blood work again after 3 months and all my stats were way down, in the healthy range! You sound like you are fully prepared, so go into this with the attitude that you are doing something good for your body/health and even though there may be bad/uncomfortable days and even weeks, you are helping your body get healthy! Good luck. Keep up posted.

I needed to be propped up most nights for months (I am in month 4).If you eat a light dinner, before 6pm, you might be ok. But that is hard to do in the real world, if you go out or have kids or have a full time job!.

Once again I am fascinated by how different all of our experiences are - both with our providers and with our bodies.

You would think the provider part would be fairly standardized, but it's clearly not ... every scenario seems to be a little bit different.

And the differences in our reactions to the procedure just go to show that we are all unique individuals. :-) Not only have I not had issues with reflux (which I fully expected since I have a hiatal hernia), but I actually eat pretty late every day without a problem. I started out trying to eat an early dinner since so many people do have problems with that, but life dictated otherwise ... fortunately, I've been ok.

And then there's the weight loss piece - one person lost 77 pounds in six months, another nothing and most everyone else someplace in between. A lot of people stop losing after 2-3 months ... I will be curious to see if I do. I hope not but even if I do, I'm happy for what I have lost, and think that it was worth it.

Edited by Wayward Traveler

I got the balloon 5/12 and the only side effects I am having is cramping and stomach spasms. I use the wedge pillow because I read about it in this forum.

I haven't experienced any nausea or vomiting. I almost can't tell if i'm hungry or having stomach pains most of the time. Tomorrow is day 4 and so far i've only had broth, Powerade, popsicles, and blended noodle Soup. I randomly feel like the pain is hunger and I could easily eat a burger which is scary because I was prepared to be sick for over a week. I honestly think I could have went to work the next day.

Hey lovely! I hope you're a little bit excited in amongst all the nerves, this is a new adventure and it's probably going to have some crappy chapters, but hopefully the final story is one you want.

I had my balloon fitted this morning and after a couple bags of IV Fluid and a short wait, was released. I live 3 hours away from the nearest city that performs the Orbera (or any balloon procedure) and the surgeon recommended that I travel before any nausea set in. Now that I AM home I appreciate that I've done it, but those three hours in the car were horrific (especially the bit where an entire bus of soldiers cheered me on while I puked into my spew bag at a traffic light).

The biggest thing that I'm dealing with now is just how utterly uncomfortable I am, I'm vomiting on a 2-3 hour cycle, so I've taken to waiting until I've done that to take any pills in the hopes of keeping them down long enough for them to do their magic.

I don't have any fancy pillows, but I have a LOT and have fashioned myself an elevated best of them and I think wedge or not it's going to take me a while to get used to the new sensation and move past the discomfort.

That all said, this really isn't anything I wasn't expecting and I'm still optimistic that I'll be feeling better tomorrow. Also, best resources around here are basically anything Wayward Traveller posts, I've been stalking this site for months and her(?) posts are articulate, caring and - as far as I can tell - on the money! And as this is MY first post I'll just say 'Hi!', I'm a 30 YO Aussie and my name is Bec!

Laying on you left side helps sometimes. I slept in my recliner for a couple of nights. If OTC acid reflux reducers are not doing the job, do no hesitate to as for a prescription one like Protonix.

Hey lovely! I hope you're a little bit excited in amongst all the nerves, this is a new adventure and it's probably going to have some crappy chapters, but hopefully the final story is one you want.

I had my balloon fitted this morning and after a couple bags of IV Fluid and a short wait, was released. I live 3 hours away from the nearest city that performs the Orbera (or any balloon procedure) and the surgeon recommended that I travel before any nausea set in. Now that I AM home I appreciate that I've done it, but those three hours in the car were horrific (especially the bit where an entire bus of soldiers cheered me on while I puked into my spew bag at a traffic light).

The biggest thing that I'm dealing with now is just how utterly uncomfortable I am, I'm vomiting on a 2-3 hour cycle, so I've taken to waiting until I've done that to take any pills in the hopes of keeping them down long enough for them to do their magic.

I don't have any fancy pillows, but I have a LOT and have fashioned myself an elevated best of them and I think wedge or not it's going to take me a while to get used to the new sensation and move past the discomfort.

That all said, this really isn't anything I wasn't expecting and I'm still optimistic that I'll be feeling better tomorrow. Also, best resources around here are basically anything Wayward Traveller posts, I've been stalking this site for months and her(?) posts are articulate, caring and - as far as I can tell - on the money! And as this is MY first post I'll just say 'Hi!', I'm a 30 YO Aussie and my name is Bec!

Hi bec

I'm a nearly 40 year old aussie and having the balloon placed within the next month. How bad has the last week been? I'm so scared of not being able to function because I have young children. I can deal with pain and discomfort but not being bed ridden beyond a few days. How much do you want to lose?

Thank you guys so much for the responses! I'm T minus 3 days to the procedure and I'm totally trolling this website for tips. I went to fill my meds today and I was prescribed: (1) Emend (Aprepitant); (2) Hyoscyamine (Levsin); (3) Lorazepam (Ativan); and (4) Ondansetron (Zofran) as well as the Prilosec over the counter. I'm wondering if that was similar to what everyone else has gotten. I'll also be getting a patch at the surgery center for nausea. Hopefully those will cover it!

Thank you guys so much for the responses! I'm T minus 3 days to the procedure and I'm totally trolling this website for tips. I went to fill my meds today and I was prescribed: (1) Emend (Aprepitant); (2) Hyoscyamine (Levsin); (3) Lorazepam (Ativan); and (4) Ondansetron (Zofran) as well as the Prilosec over the counter. I'm wondering if that was similar to what everyone else has gotten. I'll also be getting a patch at the surgery center for nausea. Hopefully those will cover it!

I was also given liquid Tylenol 3 for pain, but I didn't need it (is that what Emend is for? I didn't get that, but I had the others). I was given prescription Prilosec (not sure why - it's the same dose as OTC) and was told to take it twice a day. Two thumbs up for the patch!! :-) And make sure that you get plenty if IV fluids before you head home.

Hi bec

I'm a nearly 40 year old aussie and having the balloon placed within the next month. How bad has the last week been? I'm so scared of not being able to function because I have young children. I can deal with pain and discomfort but not being bed ridden beyond a few days. How much do you want to lose?

Hey!

Well I'm only on day two today, I'm being sick less often but still don't feel fantastic and have chosen to stick closer to bed. I have the luxury of having my mum here for a few days so I can be a bit selfish, I think maybe by this evening I could be getting up and doing more if I forced myself, but I'll let you know how it goes in the coming days!