Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi

I have the MTHFR and this was one of my primary concerns as i react pretty badly to most Vitamins.

The NUT suggested that i take Floradix and try and get most of my folate from my food.

I find that i can tolerate the floradix as it is natural and mainly herbs and juices.

Once i am further out, i will be getting the B12 shot every 3 months.

Thanks for your reply. I'll look in those.

I'm currently doing methyl b shots weekly. My homocystene and inflammation markers have decreased significantly since. But I'm not sure I can afford them forever so I need to find something long term. I was super sick prior to my lapband removal and I don't want to go back to that when I get the sleeve. At least I'm armed with genetic information now :)

Will you be doing a methyl B shot? Are you bypass or sleeve?

Yes.. i plan to do the shots every three months.

I have been managing it for a couple of years mainly through diet, and plan to do the same now that i am sleeved.

I try to eat spinach, kale and greens to get my folate, i stay away from fortified foods .. basically if it doesn't come out of the ground, sea or from an animal i won't eat it.

My bloods have been perfect for years, my doc says i am a skinny person in a chubby persons body.

My weight gain hasn't been from eating junk... i believe is from screwing up my metabolism from my band... i practically starved for 6 years.. so as soon as i eat anything i gain...

What type of MTHFR are you?

Edited by AussieGirl81

Yes.. i plan to do the shots every three months.

I have been managing it for a couple of years mainly through diet, and plan to do the same now that i am sleeved.

I try to eat spinach, kale and greens to get my folate, i stay away from fortified foods .. basically if it doesn't come out of the ground, sea or from an animal i won't eat it.

My bloods have been perfect for years, my doc says i am a skinny person in a chubby persons body.

My weight gain hasn't been from eating junk... i believe is from screwing up my metabolism from my band... i practically starved for 6 years.. so as soon as i eat anything i gain...

What type of MTHFR are you?

I'm c667t ++ (homo). Also vdr+ and mtrr+ (hetero) and Maoa. Genes are against me. I too think the band ruined my metabolism. How do we k ow the next one wont.

Also how many mutants are getting bypass and supplementing with cyanocobalamin and wondering why they can't get their B up? Docs should recommend methyl b for all patients (or hydroxy.

I have a methyl B injection and a hydroxy b injection. They are made at at compounding pharmacy. I was severely low on many nutrients. Docs tested serum levels instead of rbc test (both are blood work but one looks at it differently and is more accurate ) I got the rbc done and found the basis of many of my problems. That's why I don't want to do bypass. I've dealt with Mal nutrition and it ruined my life.

As for diet, what you said goes for me too. Nothing processed (except my raw, vegan Protein powder ). I buy meat and produce, herbs and spices and prepare everything by hand.

My doctor initially recommended the bypass.... i declined and choose the sleeve for that reason.

My body already hates Vitamins and i did not want to take Vitamins for the rest of my life because of the bypass.

My logic is.... ill choose the most nutrient dense foods possible and if i have issues down the track i can supplement if i must.

I am 3 weeks out post op.... but a veteran WLS patient... i had the band for 6 years

What about yourself?

I am 3 weeks out post op.... but a veteran WLS patient... i had the band for 6 years

What about yourself?

Banded in 09 and struggled for the whole time. Last year I decided to change to bypass. We met our out of pocket max so it was free. I started with my old surgeon in Feb but they kept putting me off and giving me mis-information. Finally moved on to another surgeon in July with first app in aug. Submitted for conversion and was denied for lack of 6 MO diet which was newly required (as of june). So in tears I decided to get the band removed without conversion. I'm a till the same weight as then, no more gain. Sometimes I think I was denied because the bypass is not the best option for me. So now I'm glad it didn't happen but I have to come up with the 2500 for Co insurance.

I called insurance and was told it's not covered. Doctor called and told the same thing, but when pushed they said it would be covered if I met criteria. Um... that's always the case. The next time I called the insurance company they assured me it was not covered. So I called benefits center. They also said it's not covered. I kept pushing and they they found in the small print that it would be covered for morbid obesity.

I'm exhausted from all this. Doc is submitting without psych evaluation just to see what they say. If they sent based on psych then I'll pay then 140 for psych. And resubmit.

After reading the complications thread I'm scares out of my mind though.

Lucky you for not gaining weight... thats so common when the band is removed.

I must say even though it's still early days for me.... the sleeve is so much easier than the band... i feel "normal" when i am eating, i just get fuller on less.

I am on the soft food stage now... i wish the sleeve was offered when i had my band originally it would have saved me so much suffering... my band actually worked for a few years.. then during the final year it became a diva lol

Lucky you for not gaining weight... thats so common when the band is removed.

I must say even though it's still early days for me.... the sleeve is so much easier than the band... i feel "normal" when i am eating, i just get fuller on less.

I am on the soft food stage now... i wish the sleeve was offered when i had my band originally it would have saved me so much suffering... my band actually worked for a few years.. then during the final year it became a diva lol

Haha I must have written that wrong. I'm reading til my eyes are blurry trying to devour info to make a decision. Sorry about that... I maintained for 6 months then the weight flooded back. Even tough I was counting every bit of food and exercising and doing Tai qi and yoga and was very active. All of it within a few months. I could literally feel my skin stretching like when I was pregnant. I've never seen someone gain like that. It was heart breaking.

Edited by NewMeBefore40