Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

About to be banded in Plano, Texas

About to be banded in Plano, Texas

As a long-time lurker on LapBandTalk, I have learned a lot from those who have started this journey before me, and I figure that it is time to join and give back.

I have been overweight the majority of my adult life, and after several years of "trying to do it the old-fashioned way", I have determined that I need to take advantage of all of the tools available, including lap-band to be as healthy, active, and productive as I deserve to be.

I am fortunate that my insurance company had only one requirement - proof of obesity for more than 5 years - and I was approved for surgery 3 days after the paperwork was submitted.

I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Cribbins on Tuesday, August 14 at Presby Plano. I am a little concerned about an allergy-related cough that i've had all summer due to the excessive rain that we have received. I talked to Dr. Cribbins about it, and he felt that it should not be cause for concern, but still... I do worry about band slip/suture rip and I also worry that something might settle in my lungs as well.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their experiences so far, and good luck to everyone who is just starting their journey.

B

I do not have an answer for your coughing problem. I too am fixing to banded. My date is the 27th of August. I live in Royse City. My doctor is Dr. Bryce at Lone Star Lap Band. I start my liquid diet tomorrow, so I am eating as I type!!! I better stock up!!! Keep me posted on your progress. Good luck. Clara

Hi Clara Mae,

Looks like we don't live too far from you - we live on Hwy 205 about half-way between FM 552 and Hwy 78.

I'm not sure about the cough - today I didn't take either my decongestant or my cough suppressant, and I haven't been nearly as congested, and only coughed once or twice. I wonder if I have been having a rebound effect from the meds, which has been making the problem worse. I'll have to keep an eye on it tomorrow. If I don't feel up to surgery on Tuesday, I'll push it back. It might cost $250 for canceling so late, but at least I won't be worried about getting sick or hurting my band.

Congratulations on your upcoming banding. Does Bryce use Lake Pointe? It seems like a pretty nice hospital - very new. Although my doc doesn't require a pre-op diet, I have been drinking Protein shakes for most of the past week or so, if for no other reason to get used to having that as my only food.

Good luck...

B

Howdy and how are you feeling? Did you have the surgery today? I am scheduled for tomorrow. I am down in Houston area but travel to Plano all the time to visit family. What a beautiful city! I hope all goes well! Good luck and keep us posted!:wacko:

I will also be banded by Dr. Cribbins. I was recently approved so I don't have a date yet but hoping it will be in the next few weeks. Good Luck to you! Keep us posted!

Congrats on making your decision on banding. I had my on 5/4/07 and do no regret it at all. I'm down 47 pounds and feel so much better. Have a ways to go, but the band will be my tool to help me get where I need to be.

Good luck and keep us posted with your results.

Janet (Dallas, Dr. Provost, Zale Lipshy)

Thank you to everyone for your well wishes...

I did have my surgery yesterday morning. Arrived at the hospital around 8:15AM, and I was able to go directly into a pre-operative cubicle. The pre-op nurse was great. Although they are only supposed to let 2 people at a time into the cubes, she let all three of my visitors in - my wife and my parents.

Surgery was scheduled for 10:30; however, my anesthesiologist was called away for an emergency in the obstetrics dept, so we were delayed until about 11:00. Dr. Cribbins came in and talked for a few minutes - introduced himself as Joe - not "Dr. Cribbins", which pleased my mom - she is in the medical field as well. Dr. Engles, the anesthesiologist came in, gave me some initial sedative in my IV and wheeled me to the OR. I remember being moved to the operating table, having my arms strapped to some arm rests, and hearing the big lie - "I'm just going to give you a little air to breathe" and the next thing I remember is about 15-20 minutes after arriving in the recovery room. Time from arrival in OR to recovery was about 1 hour, 15 minutes.

In the recovery room, I had trouble keeping my O2 sat levels high enough. I think this was due to sleep apnea (it improved when I tilted my head way back) and the cough that I have had for the past few months. Eventually, they brought up a respiratory therapist who gave me an albuterol treatment to clear and open my lungs a little more. They also asked me to cough a lot to help clear out the anesthesia gas. I ended up spending about 2 hours in the recovery room, which is longer than most will spend. I also had one bout of nausea right as I was waking up - I often get nausea from anesthesia, and the nurse gave me a small amount of phenergan which is a good cure for nausea and consciousness...

I decided that I would prefer not to spend the night in the hospital - Dr. Cribbins is currently about 50% for overnight, 50% for go home - so I went back to a pre-op cubicle for my last few hours in the recovery room. I had the swallow test about 4:00p, and left the hospital about 6:00p.

So far, there has been little pain - more of a dull ache. Dr. Cribbins uses a Q-Pump. which provides a constant, metered dose of local anesthetic into the abdominal cavity. I'll have that in place until Friday morning. Also gave me a prescription for Loritab, which so far, I have only used once - to control pain to get to sleep last night.

Today, I am eating (drinking) chicken broth every hour and walking a lot to get the CO2 out of my abdomen. I don't think I've ever prayed to be able to fart before, but right now that would be downright heavenly...

My best wishes to everyone who will be banded soon. And to Shelby, I think you picked one of the best surgeons in the area. He is a great technician, and his bedside manner is impeccable. His office was able to schedule me as soon as two weeks after my insurance approval came through. I had to postpone a week due to travel schedule and trying to fit in the pre-op testing and office visit.

B

Hello everyone! My name is Darlene, and I'm a newby. I will be banded on August 24th in Chattanooga, TN by Dr. Sass. I'm so nervous! I've read hundreds of posts, and some have not been that encouraging. I just hope I'm doing the right thing.

I'm 44 years old, and I weigh 247 pounds. I know I have to do something or I want live long enough to enjoy my grandchildren. I already have Diabetes, and elevated blood pressure. My body is giving out on me. I have fibromyalgia, and am in so much pain it's almost too much to bear lately.

I have been reading the posts on this board for several months, plus researching the lap band. I hope I've made the right decision. I am blessed to have received insurance approval very quick. The only thing I had to do was go through the physcological evaluation, and I finished that last Thursday.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what to expect the few weeks right after surgery?

Thank you,

MissDarlene:help:

P.S How do I insert the weight tracker?

i'm so glad all went well!

Thank you, losingjusme. You have been a great inspiration as I have watched this site over the years. Good luck on your continued journey!

B

Congrats

I am scheduled for Dr Hamm in 3 weeks, My wife works for a Dr who reffered me, glad to here it went well. I look forward to getting mine done

Thank you, losingjusme. You have been a great inspiration as I have watched this site over the years. Good luck on your continued journey!

B

::blush:: thank you ... :)

i am in the DFW area as well.

Congrats

I am scheduled for Dr Hamm in 3 weeks, My wife works for a Dr who reffered me, glad to here it went well. I look forward to getting mine done

Good luck with your surgery. One of Dr. Hamm's patients was next to me in the recovery room. Are you going to be at Presby Plano, or one of the other hospitals he uses?

B