Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's talk Maintenance and Calories / Macronutrients

So, after a conversation with NUT yesterday, I realize I am moving in to maintenance phase. NUT told me that my goal calories for lifetime would be 1200 calories. (I am still losing very slowly at this but like 1 pound a week or so which is fine. I am ready to stabilize.) Anyway, yes, yes I know I need to follow my NUT's specific directions and No, I am not looking for ammunition to argue with her. I am just curious if this calorie seems a bit low (especially given my height at 5' 10".) It seems I have seen many of you mention maintenance calories more in the 1500-1600 calorie range.

Also, I am curious (perhaps a different topic) about the "non low fat" stance many of you take. I am still being instructed to use 2% cheese, milk, etc (which is fine) and concentrate on good fats (again fine) but to try and limit fat to 30g per day? That seems very low. I mean years ago when I was on low-fat diet, 30g was my target. I am generally getting 40g-50g a day now (at about 1100-1200 calories) and have still lost, so I feel like I am doing ok, but mostly just curious about the new thoughts about saturated fats not being the devil AND what that really looks like.

Appreciate any input as I sort through this in my head....

Daisee, bodies are different from one another. A LOT different.

There's a recent thread here about how many calories people who are one year (or more) post-op are eating. It's at:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/366690-a-year-out-from-surgery-what-is-your-daily-diet-consist-of/

It's got lots of good info for you and will show you the variety of eating programs people have developed to maintain on.

In my instance, I was eating 1,200 cals just before I hit goal (150 pounds) -- about 8.5 months post-op. I hadn't been a fast loser at all, but that was no problem as far as I was concerned.

Anyway, I've always recorded my calories and other macronutrients on My Fitness Pal. So using that data I calculated that 1700 calories would be a good maintenance spot for me. So I started GRADUALLY raising my calories up -- no more than 100 calories/week. Honestly, it took me at least a couple of months to get the cals up -- restriction and all that.

Anyway, I kept losing weight -- averaging 1.5 pounds a month -- until 8 months later I was 135 pounds. The last 5 months I've averaged between 1700 - 1800 calories, depending on my activity level, and I've maintained at 135 for the last 4-5 months.

Some folks are maintaining at 1,000 calories/day, others at 1,200, others at 1,500, others at 1700-1800 like me. Others are eating even more. (Those are all women.) And men seem to be about 300-400-500 calories higher along the same range.

At least, that's how it seems to me.

@@VSGAnn2014 - Thanks so much for your input. Again, I know I should follow my NUT's plan but it just seems odd to me that she generalizes that ALL (female) WLS patients should maintain at 1200 calories. As you said we are all different, so I would think there would be some accounting for some differences. A range or something....

This is my experience with the "Maintenance" phase. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

Hi Daisee, glad you raised this as it is something I think about as I am 6'1" but I am only just sleeved so it is down the track for me, but I am still interested in what people say. Thanks for the link vsg ann.

I have been theoretically in maintenance since before Christmas, but have lost another 20 lbs since then. My weight right now is lower than when I was a ballet dancer in high school (still trying to wrap my mind around that one). And I'm averaging about 1400 net calories per day, so I'm actually eating somewhere in the range of 1500-1800 calories per day depending on how much I burn with exercise. I'm still trying to find the sweet spot to maintain, as I am still losing in little dribs and drabs (.25 lb here, .5 lb there). If I were limited to 1200 calories worth of food per day, I can't imagine where I'd be!

Also, I average about 70-80 grams of fat per day... I was also told to keep to 30 grams or less, but I don't know how it's possible. That was also based on a 1000 calorie-per-day plan, which obviously is not where I'm at now. I'm already getting well over 100 grams of Protein per day, ditto carbs, so my macros would have to change drastically to make that happen. I have MyFitnessPal set for 1400 cals, with 35% Protein (122 g), 35% fat (55 g), and 30% carbs (104 g). Those amounts go up when I eat more total calories to compensate for activity. Obviously, I don't do real low-carb as it is (though I don't really eat bread, Pasta, rice, Cereal anymore), and I don't want to damage my kidneys with even more protein, so unless my NUT gives me hell at my next appt, I am going to keep fats where they are.

Thank you very much @lauraellen! That answer was very helpful*

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I'm in maintenance I guess. I skidded right past my goal of 175 and now down to 169 or so. My NUT increased my calories to 1800 a day, I'm 5'11", my macros on myfitnesspal are 158 grams of Protein, 158 for carbs, and 60 for fat. I'm exercising heavy, getting ready to train for a triathlon, so I doubt my calorie goal will stay at 1800 for very long. She mentioned increasing it to 2,000 if I continue to lose.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Wow @RyanTN. Thanks that really helps too. I am a woman and am 5'10". I don't exercise like that so I can see that I wouldn't take in near as much but it does make me think that 1200 calories for the rest of my life to maintain isn't reasonable. Appreciate your response

Oh, I guess I didn't really mention what kinds and amounts of exercise I'm doing--usually I do 1-2 yoga/Pilates classes per week, 1-2 Zumba classes per week, and walk my dogs for about 30 min. most days. I also will count working in the garden, heavy-duty cleaning, and other activity that's out of my "norm" towards my exercise. I have a Garmin fitness tracker that counts my steps, and it syncs with MyFitnessPal to estimate my calories burned. So, I'm not doing intense working out or training that burns an insane number of calories.

@@VSGAnn2014 - Thanks so much for your input. Again, I know I should follow my NUT's plan but it just seems odd to me that she generalizes that ALL (female) WLS patients should maintain at 1200 calories. As you said we are all different, so I would think there would be some accounting for some differences. A range or something....

well. there are a few points where I vehemently disagree with my NUT.

1. the safety of artificial sweeteners. I would rather learn to live with less sweet and use stevia or real sugar or honey.

2. low fat dairy vs. regular dairy. my personal belief is that the whole fat (if from a good source) dairy is going to prove to be better for you. I am on low fat for now - but do not plan to stay there my whole life except with cottage cheese, sour cream and string cheese, they taste better low fat to me, always have.

so, we formed a plan around my preferences and she is helping me figure out what that means in terms of my overall eating plan. even though we disagree, she is respectful and does not try to argue with me about it, although at the first appointment we had a very spirited debate.

it is ok to not agree 100% with your NUT, I still learn things from her, and by following the plan my weight is dropping.

Very well said @@Christinamo7 ! Thank you!

Ok, one more question for you maintainers (or really anyone I suppose) -

Do you look at your micronutrients by each meal or over the whole day or maybe even over a week (a la Weight Watchers for example)? I mean I know I need to keep carbs in check and sugars low by food, but for example, are you diligent to make sure each and every meal is less carb than Protein or do you look at the end of the day to just make sure you got less carb than Protein for the whole day? I strive for the first but often end up making sure it balances out for the day.

And as for my question about the week - for example do you occasionally go over your typical calorie limit one day but just make sure you are under your limit the next day or so to even it out to an average of your total calorie limit?

(I know some of you don't track and find this to be laborious. I would like to think I would get there one day, but for now, it is the tracking that keeps me on track so to speak. :D :D :D )

My nut said for me to get up to 1500 when I work out. I've been eating around 1500 everyday and I have not or gained any weight but I increased slowly to make sure.

I was a bit surprised to find that I was gaining weight if I ate over 1200 cals a day. But, I'm not an excerciser, and I'm only 4'10, so I guess it's not surprising. More important to my maintenance seems to be keeping a strict eye on salt and sugar. I tried working out but became very lightheaded, due to seizure and heart meds. So, I try to be as active as I can without actually working out.

I think weighing myself almost every day is necessary, and I'm not consistent with tracking meals unless I'm gaining, or feeling tired or lightheaded. That usually means I'm eating too much or too little.

I'm trying to walk a line between coming obsessed with it all, and feeling healthy. It'll be a lifetime thing, but I accepted that when I signed the papers for surgery. LOL

Sent from my SM-T280 using the BariatricPal App