Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Less than 40g carbs forever?

Ok so this question actually originated from another person's post asking about what people are eating several years out from surgery. I saw some were eating pretty large amounts of carbs compared to what my nutritionist had told me which was less than 40g of carbs per day FOREVER. Several people commented that they didn't think 40g of carbs was even possible or healthy, at least not later on so I was thinking I could get some feedback on this here rather than derail someone elses thread.

"Less than 40g of carbs" is written in my book that was given to me as a guide for success. It is written as a goal under the column for "7 Days Before Surgery" along with 70-80g of Protein per day. However, she made emphasis on the "less than" with the carbs and also said that it really should be forever and I took note in my book when she said so. She had Gastric Bypass herself so I'm not sure if gastric bypass patients maybe just have different nutrition needs than sleeve? Also, I'm wondering if it's possible to keep my surgeon without keeping his nutritionist? I'm not sure yet that I want to do that, she seems like a nice lady and wants to get people on track and stay there but I feel like it's something that I need to know before I get the surgery done which is supposed to be tomorrow (although there has been a small hiccup so we'll see).

I think if surgery is tomorrow, today is not the day to think about changing to a new nutritionist......since what your concerned with is the "lifetime" diet, my advice is to focus now on your current pre-op and early post op requirements and if after all that, you're still not happy with this nutritionist by all means find a new one. Just my two cents!

I think if surgery is tomorrow, today is not the day to think about changing to a new nutritionist......since what your concerned with is the "lifetime" diet, my advice is to focus now on your current pre-op and early post op requirements and if after all that, you're still not happy with this nutritionist by all means find a new one. Just my two cents!

If it's possible to switch later then yes, I would agree. I just don't want to have issues with my surgeon later on if I didn't use "his" nutritionist.

@@Lizardlady

One step at a time.

I hope you are able to keep your nerves down the day/night before surgery. Try not to overthink things that are a year down the road for you. You can always change a medical care provider at any point.

well said @@kmorri

@@Lizardlady

One step at a time.

I hope you are able to keep your nerves down the day/night before surgery. Try not to overthink things that are a year down the road for you. You can always change a medical care provider at any point.

well said @@kmorri

Oh, it's too late for that lol. I got a million and 1 thoughts and feelings floating through my head right now. I go back and forth on everything from one minute to the next but in the end, I know this is the right decision for me.

@@Lizardlady

What time is your surgery? I couldn't sleep the night before mine either.

@@Lizardlady

What time is your surgery? I couldn't sleep the night before mine either.

They are supposed to call today to let me know. They said it would probably be early morning though. I haven't been able to sleep right all week. We are also in the process of closing on a house which closing is supposed to be today so I've been under a lot of stress lately with everything happening all at once.

@@Lizardlady - I did the exact same thing closed on a house about 10 days post. Its a lot to deal with so make sure you hydrate and eat right.

We were also living in a RV on our property for about 10 weeks pre-op so I had incentive for moving around and eating less.

Congrats on the new house and let us know when you can, that you are out of surgery.

Ok so this question actually originated from another person's post asking about what people are eating several years out from surgery. I saw some were eating pretty large amounts of carbs compared to what my nutritionist had told me which was less than 40g of carbs per day FOREVER. Several people commented that they didn't think 40g of carbs was even possible or healthy, at least not later on so I was thinking I could get some feedback on this here rather than derail someone elses thread.

"Less than 40g of carbs" is written in my book that was given to me as a guide for success. It is written as a goal under the column for "7 Days Before Surgery" along with 70-80g of Protein per day. However, she made emphasis on the "less than" with the carbs and also said that it really should be forever and I took note in my book when she said so. She had Gastric Bypass herself so I'm not sure if gastric bypass patients maybe just have different nutrition needs than sleeve? Also, I'm wondering if it's possible to keep my surgeon without keeping his nutritionist? I'm not sure yet that I want to do that, she seems like a nice lady and wants to get people on track and stay there but I feel like it's something that I need to know before I get the surgery done which is supposed to be tomorrow (although there has been a small hiccup so we'll see).

I am pre-op. I've been doing a high protein/low carb (under 50g daily) diet. I've been doing it for just over two years with great results. I started my journey at 688lbs, and am currently 450lbs and scheduled for the sleeve later this month.

Plenty of people do low carb diets with great success, some don't. Don't forget that it is also the carbs you eat that make the difference too. fruit and veggies are ideal, while pastas and breads aren't.

Right now this close to surgery I echo what others have said above, now is not the time to switch. Best left to after the procedure.

Well *sigh* my surgery was postponed for now because my Dr. will not clear me because of chest pain. After my endoscopy procedure I had some pain in my lungs after the twilight sedation. This was several weeks ago and I didn't even talk to the doctor about it until today because it went away after a few days. Still, because it was chest pain, he wants me to go and see a cardiologist before he will clear me for surgery. UGH!!!!!! I want to scream! I've already been doing my pre-op diet and was going to start Clear Liquids today for surgery tomorrow but NOPE! I guess it's kind of a good thing though since I just got back from closing on the new house and it needs some cleanup and fixes before we can even move in. Plus, it's a pool home so I'll get a bit of time to swim before I get my surgery done but it's still frustrating to be on the very last day of my liquid diet before they have to postpone it GRRR! Sorry, had to vent a little.

Well *sigh* my surgery was postponed for now because my Dr. will not clear me because of chest pain. After my endoscopy procedure I had some pain in my lungs after the twilight sedation. This was several weeks ago and I didn't even talk to the doctor about it until today because it went away after a few days. Still, because it was chest pain, he wants me to go and see a cardiologist before he will clear me for surgery. UGH!!!!!! I want to scream! I've already been doing my pre-op diet and was going to start clear liquids today for surgery tomorrow but NOPE! I guess it's kind of a good thing though since I just got back from closing on the new house and it needs some cleanup and fixes before we can even move in. Plus, it's a pool home so I'll get a bit of time to swim before I get my surgery done but it's still frustrating to be on the very last day of my liquid diet before they have to postpone it GRRR! Sorry, had to vent a little.

Well that sounds frustrating, but I think when speaking about something like chest pain, better safe than sorry. You should be happy your surgeon has your best interests at heart. I'm sure the delay is not fun but you'll get there, and you can be happy that all of the proper precautions were taken on your road there! Best of luck!

I'm sorry you're being delayed, but glad they are taking good care of you. Your time will come, and will be done safely!

there are certain things my NUT stresses that I vehemently disagree with.

However, other areas they have been extremely helpful to me.

So, I take what I can use and move forward. not going to stress over it. right now I aim for less than 60 a day - but not forever. forever I will be high Protein, low carb though. I get that.

I think it's an individual thing, and different from NUT to NUT and MD to MD. I've asked the question of my surgeon and my NUT because I made myself physically ill trying to do Atkins. I cannot tolerate my carbs going low enough to put me in ketosis. We've all agreed that we'll take the approach of trying to moderate carbs and stick with complex carbs as much as possible instead of simple carbs, and we'll see how it goes. Neither my surgeon nor my NUT is in favor of extreme carb restriction to start with. But I know a lot of people do best with a very low or no carb level, and some docs insist on it, so I'm not knocking it, just saying it doesn't work for me. I would say try to follow what your MD and NUT say, and if it's not working for you, talk to them and work out what will.

Best of luck!!