Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting depressed before surgery

Maybe I'm just burnt out from all the research or frustrated with all the waiting (my insurance requirements were met in mid- Feb and I'm still waiting) but I'm really feeling down. I'm struggling to get going with an exercise program and sticking to a low carb diet and am afraid I will gain back everything I've lost if they don't put me on the pre-op diet soon (it was postponed until we can set a date for surgery). Then again maybe I just love food too much and am scared of losing it. Is this normal to feel this way? I hear/read about people who are so excited to have surgery. That's not me. I'm dreading some of the possible complications/outcomes even though I know it's my best chance for a healthier, happier life.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think most people have doubts - not just right before but also right after surgery. I know I did. Hang in there! Perhaps see a therapist that specializes with bariatric patients can help you talk it out?

When is your surgery scheduled?

They just submitted it to insurance so no date yet.

I went into this process kicking and screaming. I got the band because I was close to going into a wheelchair. I did not want to give up my food and couldn't imagine my life without eating to excess.

Well...I found out that as it says in my signature, living life in a normal sized body is better than any food out there. The quality of my life has improved 1,000%. I can walk again...no cane, no wheelchair...no nothing. I can do practically everything I used to and am taking advantage of all that life offers.

Don't worry that you are depressed or even scared about life after WLS. Once you see the benefits, you won't believe that you had doubts and fears at one time.

Relax, the surgery was the starting gate for me. And it wasn't that difficult to make all the needed adjustments then.

Don't fret the waiting period. ;)

I too became overwhelmed, frustrated and somewhat depressed during the waiting period as well. I decided to close the book on the my research and sit back to take a look at my life as if I were an outsider. I increased my therapy to once a week and tackled the reasons why I turned to food in the first place. After about a month off I was ready to begin again, refreshed and excited. I think sometimes we can research something so much that it begins to scare us. After surgery you will be amazed at the new perspective you will have. I felt as if a "light switch" was turned on, I can't explain well in words. Hang in there, take a deep breath...you can do this!

Thank you all for the support. It means a lot. I have been seeing a therapist and hopefully I will work through all my food issues.

I know exactly what you're going through. I also met all my insurance requirements in February (6 month diet) and I am still waiting for my surgeons office to submit my paperwork to my insurance (thats a whole other story). They finally gave me a tentative surgery date so that I would quit calling them. Its beyond frustrating, and I am ashamed to admit that it causes me to want to turn to old habits. A couple times I have even battled this ugly inner demon that wants to chock this up as a sign and resign to being fat.

I did feel a little validated when I read an article the other day about junk food being just as addictive as drugs and nicotine. It talked about how the chemicals in sugary foods hinder our dopamine functioning, which is the reward system in our brain. When we initially eat a sugary food, it floods our brain with a huge amount of dopamine and other feel-good chemicals which overwhelms our dopamine receptors, and so our brain eliminates the extra dopamine receptors to balance everything back out. So overtime, like drugs, it takes more and more of said sugary foods to feel the same amount as that initial time. Heres the article: https://authoritynutrition.com/how-food-addiction-works/

They just submitted it to insurance so no date yet.

So in about a month...schedule ASAP and get prepared.Your surgeon should give you a target date.Schedule you so once you get approval you are set.Get it done as soon as possible....your journey has begun...