Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery tomorrow and very worried

Hi friends, I have to be at the hospital at 7:15 in the morning for a 9:15 surgery. I keep trying to have a positive attitude and get excited and a part of me is but I am like 90% terrified on many different levels... Obviously there is the worry of just having a major surgery in general but then there is also fear of complications both during surgery and post op. As far as those things go I keep telling myself it is worth the risks for a chance of a better life for myself and my family. I also worry about failing at this as I have with other things in the past. It would be so much worse than failing on a diet. It would be failing at a new life... I don't think I could handle that. I have been able to calm my nerves as far as those things go, though I do still worry about them, but the one thing that I can not get out of my head is this sense that something bad is going to happen right after surgery... not anything surgery related but something in life... Like I will be at home recovering and life will fall apart somehow. I am thinking it could just be anxiety about life changing so much or just being extra emotional from being on this liquid diet for too long, lol. I don't know what it is but I really am scared and would love to know if this is something other people have experienced and any advice you guys might have for me, thank you!

It is completely normal to experience a lot of anxiety in these final days pre-op. I didn't sleep at all the night before my surgery and had lots of restless nights before that. What you need to remember is that you and your surgeon made this decision when you were in a calm and rational mindset. Right now you are being emotional and irrational, which is absolutely to be expected, but you shouldn't let your current disordered thinking deter you from a decision you made when you were thinking clearly.

Thank you, that's an excellent point! I have just been a wreck today and I appreciate the response.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Lahlah - Jamie is right and in a couple of weeks (maybe sooner) this will seem like a distant memory and you will be holding on for the ride!

You "got this" ~

Happy EARLY Re-Birthday too!

Best wishes on your new journey. I am right behind you meeting my surgeon Thursday. I can relate to the anxiety. But the mind will always play tricks on us. My thought is that i'm taking a risk every day driving to work (accident could occur) staying this heavy (heart attack) but the risk of under going a life saving surgery makes me think it's totally worth it. You will be in good hands....prayers your way.

Thank you and best wishes for you as well oceangirl! I am sure all will be fine, I'll just be glad when it's over.

no doubt...me too. I want to Live my life to the fullest and one day like who i see in the mirror staring back at me.

I was also nervous but i kept thinking on how i was going to look in the near future!! Im 6 days post op and from my preop appt till now im down 19lbs. Also recovery with any surgery is a bit painful but its normal. What i CAN tell u is you wont be able to fail at this...once u start eating or drinking u feel full fast. Its very different from when u have ur whole stomach lol. Youll be fine stay positive and follow everything to a Tee....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I survived and I'm home already! It seriously wouldn't have taken much for me to walk out when I was in the pre op holding area. I was having terrible anxiety and panic attacks. My husband did his best to keep me calm and then my anesthesiologist promised that I wouldn't remember a thing, not even going back there or coming out, which was true. I don't! Then as soon as I was awake enough to realize what happened I was so proud of my new sleeve!! I'm so excited to begin this journey!!

Thank you!

How are you doing at home? I am 10 days post op so we're really close on our journeys. I was more worried about the recovery period than the surgery itself but nothing has been nearly as bad as I thought it would be ;)

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Im on day 11 and i feel great!! Insicions starting to itch like crazy lol but thats a good sign. It seems like when the glue wares off id have close to invisible scars...mayor plus!!

Less pain when i eat and altho I think im ready for soft foods, im still on pureed till the end of the week :) its crazy how small my plate is yet i feel so full LOL!!! Cant wait for the weight to start falling off...lost 20 so far

Im on day 11 and i feel great!! Insicions starting to itch like crazy lol but thats a good sign. It seems like when the glue wares off id have close to invisible scars...mayor plus!!

Less pain when i eat and altho I think im ready for soft foods, im still on pureed till the end of the week :) its crazy how small my plate is yet i feel so full LOL!!! Cant wait for the weight to start falling off...lost 20 so far

Wow! That's fantastic! I'm down 12 as of a few days ago. I'm afraid to weigh myself everyday lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App