Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days out with Non Supportive Bariatric Team staff - should I just go somewhere else?

Hi all,

After multiple month delays, I am in pre-surgery diet, with surgery scheduled for May 2. I love my surgeon but the support team (nutritionist, etc) is so so so frustrating. When I asked for specific guidelines for carbs, Protein, fat and sugar, i was told to follow the diet sheet. When I explained that I needed to understand so that I could learn and adapt, they just replied with the same exact information that was presented on the packet of information I had questions about

I'm not someone who can just blindly follow directions, and this is the most important decision of my life, so I need to actually understand logically why I'm doing what I'm doing. and I want to learn--for life. I'm extremely concerned that, post-op, I will have a tone of questions (and I know I will, I have questions about everything), and I have no reason to believe that they'll be there to help me.

I'm following my pre-op diet to the T, despite not having the super secret decoder ring. But I know I need post-op support and this team is only interested in telling me to do what they tell me to do. This has been oging on long enough that I actually actually engaged a nutritionist through my dr's office to help me prepare and understand because I wasn't getting help from the office. My personal nutritionist (for lack of a better term) is always there to help me understand how different foods are processed in the body and why I should avoid certain things. She's awesome.

Regardless, I am seriously considering cancelling surgery and going to another surgeon. It might delay me for a few short months but it might also be the difference between long term failure and success.

The good thing is that this pre-op diet is tough but not impossible, and I know that now.

Thoughts? Please don't respond if your answer is to trust in my surgeon and team. I've have medical complications, and I truly believe that my health is my responsibility. It took me years of research to get to this point and I'm so excited to have the surgery, I just think the support I'm (not) getting is unprofessional and very very frustrating.

Thanks for listening,

Sheila

My Dr support staff isn't everything I wanted. I wasn't impressed with them. They weren't the important part though. I wanted a surgeon that could offer a good surgical result, since that is the most important part. I felt I found that surgeon. The rest of it is readily available other places.

If you think your Surgeon is very capable and the best available. I would stick with him, and get nutritional support elsewhere. If you don't think he is the best, then find someone else.

The only person that really needs impressive credentials here is the one that is cutting you. The rest of them are expendable.

Even if they give you an exact plan to follow, that plan might not work for you. A lot of really successful people here are not following their plan once they are healed. And a large number of people are never given a Protein goal.