Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about rate of loss

I'm curious as to whether a slow loser before surgery is a slow loser after? Is a fast loser before surgery a fast loser after? (Waiting for my surgery to be scheduled I find my mind filled with all kinds of random thoughts like this.)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@j16 - unfortunately I don't think it is as cut and dry as yes before and yes after...age, gender, amount to lose, amount of exercise, etc all play a role.

I use to drop weight pretty easily until I hit my forties <<<screeching tires sound>>>> then it seemed like I could lose 10, but gain 15 in a heartbeat :(

After about 10years of that I weighed in at 282, and WLS has been my tool, I am SOOOOO THANKFUL!

The honeymoon period (when most drop the most weight) restriction, eating 100% to the letter, etc is first and foremost I lost a larger amount. From HW in Feb 2015 to surgery date - 16lbs. From surgery to about 6months (November) another 60 +/- pounds.

It had slowed since November. I take blame for that as I have been off-track and got back on track about 4-6 weeks ago and started seeing movement again on the scale.

Stalls are inevitable - EMBRACE them - stay focused.

Jane

The rate of loss is also dependent on the type of surgery.

I agree with all that's been said above - there are WAYYYY too many factors to be able to accurately anticipate how much and how fast you will lose. However, I can still offer my own experience. I have PCOS, a hormonal disorder that makes it incredibly hard to lose weight, and incredibly easy to gain it. I've never in my life had an easy time losing. In fact, I would often be eating healthy and exercising and lose no weight at all... very frustrating. After my RNY, I seemed to be losing soooo slooowwwwww. I only lost like 13 the first month. A couple months I lost around 20, but I've never gone over that. I would watch these people losing like 30-35 pounds a month and feel terrible and anxious that my body is just going to be heavy and screwed up forever. Now I'm 8 months out (as of yesterday) and I'm down 141 pounds, which averages to about 17 pounds a month. Most newbies will FREAK OUT (myself included) if they lose only 15-17 pounds the first few months. yet here I am, an entire person lighter after only 8 months. Don't sweat it! It all adds up in the end. Besides, this journey isn't really about losing weight. It's about getting healthy, and the weight loss follows. :)

The rate of loss is also dependent on the type of surgery.

Yup, this! I have a lap band and my weight loss rate is much slower than someone who had RNY. For one thing, I'm not 100% restricted yet - probably about halfway there as I can still eat ~2500 calories a day. But that's less than my standard 3500 calorie diet so I consider that to be a win either way. It's enough of a difference that I lose about a pound a week. I'd lose about a pound a week through diet and exercise alone. The only difference (right now) is that I'm not suffering like I did before I had my band placed. Weight loss used to be torture. Now it just kind of happens, which is great! I'm looking forward to increased restriction so I can lose weight even faster but for now 1 pound a week is better than 0 pounds a week, or worse, weight gain!

Now if you have RNY, you get the benefits of reduced absorption in addition to restriction and that helps the weight come off faster. So yes, it depends on the type of surgery you have. Regardless of what type it is, you will lose weight and just remember that any loss is good. Don't get discouraged if it's not as fast as you hope :) While it would be absolutely lovely to get to my goal weight in a couple months it just ain't gonna happen. It took a long time for me to get this fat, and it'll take a long time before I'm normal again.

It's hard to say. For me, I was faster loser pre op than I've been post op. At 5 months out, I have only lost 8lbs in 2 months. I was doing way faster than that before surgery, but the intense hunger was killing me and it was only a matter of time til I couldn't hold on anymore. I honestly am kind of down about it right now because I could be so much further if my body would cooperate.

before surgery I was a slow looser at best. diet, exercise. I could get down to a certain point, maybe 230 and then I would put that same 30 pounds back on again. rinse. repeat. x 10 years almost.

Now, I am finally breaking through that point and onwards lower. It *feels* both too slow (30 pounds down since surgery almost) and too fast (my mind keeps thinking where is the rest of me?) but honestly 30 pounds in 2 months is NOT slow! it is also 1/3 of my excess weight. So, I keep going with the plan and I'll see where it takes me. Diabetes is gone, and I weigh less than my wonderful husband, so it's all good from this point on!

I've found that the surgery kind of messes with our systems, so rate of loss can be so different than without surgery.

That being said, years ago I lost almost 50 pounds on WW's in 6 months in my 20's. Then again in my 40's, but it took me about 7 months that time. It took me 6 months to lose a little over 50 pounds with WLS. So it seems I'm on the slower side with and without WLS.

I always say I have the metabolism of a koala. Obviously at this point in the process at goal and maintaining now for about 7 months, it matters not. It's all about keeping it off that's most important to me, not how quickly or slowly it came off.

Even with RNY, I have averaged about 10 to 12 pounds per month in the early months. Now at 10 months out, I average closer to 5 pounds. Have lost about 110 since surgery in June 2015 and very very happy with that! Try not to get caught up in the how much how fast and comparing yourself to others. It will drive you crazy!!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I am a slow loser ...just keeping positive and patience is my way....