Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here and scared - need some hands to hold

Hi There,

I cannot believe I just registered. Is this real?

I have many questions and if anybody has the time I'd really appreciate some answers.

I work at Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch. I have been married for 20 years and we have a three year old daughter. I do not know how much I weigh. The last time I was weighed at the doctor, it was over 350lbs. I have got to do something.

I'm scared of doing something too drastic like a bypass. That's why I'm interested in the band. I've been thinking about it for a while, I'm just getting the guts up to research it now.

In the little research I have done, it looks like Dr Borao is the way to go for me. He's at the same hospital I work at. Now, does anyone know if St. Barnabus insurance pays for this? If not, how do you afford it. I know that I have no choice at this point but to figure out a way but that's scary in itself.

Has anyone here used Dr. Borao? And, how long is the "wait" that I've read about?

Thanks everyone I hope to get to know you all much better! I need some hands to hold!

Welcome and do not be scared.....everyone here will give lots of hugs along the way!

My insurance paid because of co-morbidities and documented failed weight loss attempts. Every insurance co is different. I do not know about your doctor but someone on here does I bet. You should go to Local support thread, find your state and ask there. I am sure you will get a reply.

good luck and believe me, this will be the best thing you can do for yourself.

Maureen

Hi there,

I had the lapband surgery with Dr. Borao 5 weeks ago and he and the team are great. I know from going to many support groups that there are a few people who work for St. Barnabas and have had the surgery covered by insurance. For me my wait was only 3 months but it depends on your insurance company and what they need you to do before having the surgery such as working with a nutritionist for up to 6 months. I did not want the bypass surgery and felt that the band was the way to go and so far so good. There is a local support group at MMC the last Thursday of the month and I really suggest that you go because it's ran by the nurse, nutritionist and psychologist that work with Dr. Borao so if you have questions or concerns they can be answered. I hope this helps and if you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me.

Welcome to LBT! :D I'd like to say first off congratulations for taking the first step toward a healthier you! You'll not only be around longer, but have a higher quality of life, which will be important to watch that angel of yours grow up! You'll find a plethora of information here to help you make the choice and along the way. I'm new to it, too, and just got back from my first doc's appointment to talk about it, so we're in the same boat! PM me if you ever want to, OK? :)

Hi Butterfly,

Congrats on taking another step in this journey. It will be scary at times - but well worth it in the end. I have had my band 8 months (lost 54) and love it - not every moment - sometimes it's not so fun, but when I look in the mirror each morning and see a skinnier person it is worth every hard moment. Take care and this is a good spot for support!!

Butterfly,

You will find that this is one of the most exciting journeys yet in your life. And I think, for my two cents, well worth it.

I was just in for a fill at my docs and saw a phamphlet about paying for medical procedures with an interest free loan. So, there is another option.

Immerse yourself in information about the band (from this site and elsewhere) and, if it feels right, make your decision as soon as possible. Don't do as I did, which was research it for 3 years and gain 50+ lbs in the interim.

The band can be a way out. If you accept that you have a medical problem and that, statistically speaking, you cannot lose this weight on your own (as stats show that less than 5% of people with 50+ lbs can lose it and keep it off for ONE YEAR, much less someone who has several times that to lose and wants to keep it off for life), you will accept that the band is the best tool for you to use and live a long, healthy life.

I was where you are 2 years ago. I weighed over 350 and had refused to get on a scale once the home scales (that only weigh to 330 or so) wouldn't register, so I didn't know how much I weighed either. Going to my PCP and facing that a scale couldn't weigh me was the hardest part of my band journey. But looking back, I'm so very glad I did this. I believe it's a life-long solution to my weight problems and I am 100% confident I will never weigh above 200 pounds again, much less 300 or 400.

Let me know if I can help you.

Butter, you currently weigh 350+ and you are 39 years old. I mention these two facts not in order to disrespect you but in order to point out to you that you do have a health crisis in your future if you do not take action. Most of us who are members of this site have tried the diet and exercise route and know that this approach works for very, very few people. Yep, you can diet and lose weight and then the moment that you forget to keep up your vigilance all the weight which you have lost plus some bonus pounds will come crowding onto your body. This yo-yo dieting is unhealthy for your body and it is ruinous for your sense of self-respect.

If your weight issues are rooted in a problem with Portion Control, then the lapband is the perfect tool. People who suffer from a sweet tooth do have more problems with losing weight via the band but even so they will lose if they are prepared to go to war against all things sweet.

Certainly lapband surgery is much less invasive than any of the other forms of weight loss surgery. Less invasive means faster recovery time and lower risk of death on the operating table. These are plusses in my view.

You will have to relearn how to eat which is a good thing, and some people claim that the weight loss which one experiences through lapband surgery is not as fast. It is my opinion that learning how to eat safely and healthily is a very good thing and I figure that a slower rate of weight loss is easier on your body, on its organs.

As you can see, I am all for the lapband. My own experience has been a very positive one. I would advise you to poke around this website, do read, and do keep on asking questions. Best of luck to ya, eh. :)

butterfly,

My pre-op moved very fast because I was self pay. If I hadn't required one opinion from one of my doctors then I would have had my consult, and surgery the very next week. As it was, I had to wait an extra week and 1/2 before I got it done. I know that insurance does not move that fast at all. My company blocks any weight loss procedures from our policies, period, not exceptions, no co-morbidities.

Medical loans are easier to get than regular loans, which is what we got. There's links on most doctor's websites about it and the doc you are looking at may already have some deals set up with a provider. I never rec'd the money - it went straight to my doctor and he paid everyone out of that (including himself).

Congratulations on starting your journey!!

Hugs

Thanks, everyone for your posts. I am going to take the first step and make an appointment with my family doc to talk about the lap band. I'll keep reading your posts and researching and I'll let you all know how it goes!

I'm ready for the hard work and I'm ready to use the lap band as a tool to aide my weight loss!