Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st fill have questions

Kat817,

Your posting is from like last year hope you are still on or that someone else can help me. I had my surgery Aug.8,2007. (8 days ago) I take that no restriction means you can eat anything. My doc. said I don't have any fill yet. I don't go back for my 1st visit for 6 weeks. He said at that time he would then do the fill if I needed it & said that some people don't need them for awhile. But when I went to my seminar I remember them saying I would only be able to eat 2 oz. per meal. Is that what you are to eat 4 ever? I'm sitting here wondering how you can eat hardly anything. That would be like 1 tsp. of each thing wouldn't it? I'm still on full liquids & starving to death. In a day I have 2 Protein Shakes, some sf Jello, tom. Soup, broth & sf popsicles & then liquids. Can you think of anything else to help me? I have 1 more week of this before I go to mushy food.< /p>

Hi, I was told by my dr. that I would be able to eat about 1/3 of what I could eat before, well I must have been able to eat A LOT! because I can still eat about 1-1/12 cups of food, I've had 1 fill,and just had my surgery 6-21-07, I havent lost any weight, but at least I'm maintaining. But I have read most people say about a 1/2 cup, that doesnt seem like verry much at all, but I guess thats the point. Good luck-

Hi, I was told by my dr. that I would be able to eat about 1/3 of what I could eat before, well I must have been able to eat A LOT! because I can still eat about 1-1/12 cups of food, I've had 1 fill,and just had my surgery 6-21-07, I havent lost any weight, but at least I'm maintaining. But I have read most people say about a 1/2 cup, that doesnt seem like verry much at all, but I guess thats the point. Good luck-

Well, good luck. I know this is a journey for all of us.

Hi IMfine and everyone else I have also had my operation lost weight then put 10 pounds back on! I went for a consultation to discuss my first fill with my consultant. He explained that there are different sizes of bands I have a larger one which means that now I will feel no restrction, however when I have my fills I will feel much more restricted than if they put a smaller band on. Therefore putting a bit of weight back on is fine I havent stretched anything and it will come off as soon as I have my fill!!!So dont worry remember this is not a sprint but a marathon!!

GOOD LUCK:clap2:

Hi IMfine and everyone else I have also had my operation lost weight then put 10 pounds back on! I went for a consultation to discuss my first fill with my consultant. He explained that there are different sizes of bands I have a larger one which means that now I will feel no restrction, however when I have my fills I will feel much more restricted than if they put a smaller band on. Therefore putting a bit of weight back on is fine I havent stretched anything and it will come off as soon as I have my fill!!!So dont worry remember this is not a sprint but a marathon!!

GOOD LUCK:clap2:

Doriso, when were you banded?

hi nuddybuddy---sorry,I am just now getting this email reminder of your post. My DH and I just got back from a quick get away! I will check in tomorrow, and answer your questions---promise!!! PM me if you need specifics. I wasn't ignoring you!

Kat

Ok, let me try to let you know how things are for me at least. I do eat more than many others do, and I have taken longer to lose my weight than some others do as well. I have a different outlook than some. I do have a goal, I do want to lose all of my weight...I just do not want to be deprived...that is when I lose it mentally! I also want to have a normal life. I want to live and eat today the way I hope to do for the remaider of my life.

Have I changed how I eat? Yes

Have I changed what I eat? Yes somewhat

Have I totally eliminated foods from my diet? No

Do I eat only 3-4 bites per meal? No

Do I feel deprived or like I am on a constant diet? No

I feel very successful in the goals I set for myself, and the direction my banded life has taken.

Right now you are in what is commonly referred to around here as Bandster Hell, you have a non working band in place! It is like buying a new car, and having no gas to go anywhere in it!

It takes lots of willpower (or as some call it---won't power).

The liquid phase of post op is VERY important, and will set the tone for your band health it is believed. The band has to be allowed to heal, and begin growing scar tissue to hold it in a proper place. It cannot do that if the stomach is attempting to digest food. It needs to allow those inside stitches to heal, and remember they are in a moist environment. Do whatever it takes, to stick to the liquids---if you have to drink more often, then do it, just don't try to eat too soon!

Once you begin to eat again, and can start your fill process, then it is up to you and your Dr. to decide how much restriction you want. My Dr. would have me much tighter than I choose to be. He believes as was told to you in your seminar that a few ounces is ideal---I do not. I do not believe I can eat in a healthy manner with that small amount of food. I purposely do not have my band as tight as many choose to have theirs. I am tight enough, I do not feel hunger, but I can and often do eat more than I probably should!!!

Even with that, I still only eat a fraction of what I used to eat pre banding! I would say that the 3/4 to 1 1/2 cups per meal is closest to my average---I don't know I don't measure!

For Breakfast I usually have a container of yogurt with some granola stirred in. Most mornings I can finish most of it, but seldom all of it.

For lunch I usually eat left overs!!! But as an example today I had 2 taquitos, with salsa.

I snacked on some almonds while working outside hauling wood with my DH.

For dinner we went out, and I ordered a childrens portion of chicken crispers, with loaded mashed potatoes. I ate 1 full strip of chicken, and about half of another, and had about 4 bites of the potatoes. I had ranch dressing with my chicken. I was full, and brought home the other half---will have it for lunch tomorrow!

I take smaller bites than I ever did before, and I have just grown accustomed to chewing VERY well. I often lay my fork down, and just wait to see how I feel. If you really pay attention to your body, you often find you have signals to alert you to fullness, that you might not have ever recognized. IN my case, when I am getting to the point of being full, my nose gets sniffly!!! If I eat more, I will get the hiccups, and if I foolishly eat more, it is a miserable time, with a threaten of a PB. Once I have set my fork down, if I feel I want and can handle more, I will try another bite. It is not a concentrated thing anymore, it is just how I eat. I eat slower, than my DH of course, but by the time he finishes his meal, and eats ALL of it!! I am finished with the portion of mine I am able to eat, and no one is waiting for anyone...it works out very well.

I am not a perfect bandster, I eat carbs, and sweets...I just eat a lot less of them, and I do exercise, but I am not extreme with it either. I want to feel "normal". And at this point I do!

You will find yourself going through times you really want to be tight, and work out hard, to watch the weight really drop fast, and other times, you find yourself, wanting to slow down and back off a bit, it is all ok. This is YOUR journey! And while we all look forward to the final goal accomplished feeling, don't forget to enjoy the experience as you get there. Take lots of pictures, and measurements, they will give you encouragement, when you hit a plateau---we all hit them.

And hang out with us here---we will do our best to support you through it all!!!

If you have specific questions I missed, just let me know!!!

Kat

Well said Kat. I agree. This is not a race but a marathon. None of us gained our weight in 1 year and we are not "required" to lose it in a year. I would rather lose it slowly and eat balanced meals. I had poor eating habits, not an overeater. It is important for me to learn to eat healthier not necessarily to starve. My weight is coming off slowly, but I fell healthy and am making much better choices.

After my 1st fill, I could not eat for a couple of days without pain and pb. I stay completely away from deli, it clogs me everytime. I am going in on Friday for my 2nd fill, because I am hungry, I believe that there are just things that I am not able to eat and it has not much to do with the fill. I am able to eat more now and feel like I can eat cake and chips and the stuff that is bad, but I cannot get the good foods down. It is very frustrating. I hope it gets better.

Thank you for your post. It really helps to hear from an "experienced bandster" because you guys have been through most of what we are still going through. I like your attitude about losing weight and find it helpful to know that you have been so successful with your way of doing it. It gives me hope.

cnewstine, I got an email notification of this post, come back in and re read what I wrote! I am still here, still pluggin along. Made goal, regained due to lack of self control during an extremely stressful time in my life---but the weight is coming off again. I am healthy, band is good, and I am within a normal weight even now.

I stand by what I wrote.....it can be done, lots are doing it, or have done it! Hang in there!

Welcome to lapband, and welcome to LBT

This is good news to read everyone's experiences. I was banded on Oct 7,2010 and go in for my first fill Oct 27th, it was on Nov 4th but they moved it up. I lost about 20lbs between pre-op and post-op and put about 5 back on. That freaked me out to say the least, putting weight on that is. I seem to be able to eat better than most so I started getting crazy thoughts like the band is not there and its just the port....but after reading some of your post's here i feel much better. I will post what my experience is after i get my first fill next week.

Thanks again everyone for your stories!

hi,i had my band put in sept 16 2010,im due to get my first fill next wednesday,27th oct,I lost 9 kilo between pre and post op and also gained a bit back.Even though ive been told its normal to feel hungry before a fill,i cant get my head around still being hungry with the band in,can you guys please reassure me i am normal,will this hunger stop after my fill?I feel disillusioned,will this band work?:wink2:

Just had my first fill as well..8 sticks later to try and find my port I managed cottage cheese for dinner that night and am doing 2 days of mushies before trying real food. I have to say I am disappointed.. I have no pressure or pain w/ eating like I did the 1st 3 weeks following surgery. I assumed thats what restriction felt like. I had no problems with mushies day 1 yesterday.. portion sizes were bigger then should have been and still was hungry in between. I'm hoping there is a delayed reaction cause if I eat like this before I see her again in 2 weeks I could be up 10 pounds.. :wink2: