Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey y'all!

I was banded 1/2009 and for the first two years, lost about 65 pounds. I could never get the fills in the green zone- too tight or too loose. I threw up 3 times a day for 4 years. Not throw up but the regurgitation(sorry for tmi) Basically, I lost all my weight by starving and working out like I was the next contestant on Biggest Loser, except there weren't cameras or Jillian Michaels screaming at me.

I had a band slip in 2011- while on a cruise... First cruise I didn't gain weight on but was miserable. Once back home, all Fluid was taken out and I played the guessing game for a few more years.

I then gained all the weight I had lost due to my band empty and poor food choices. Like many who have had a failed WLS know, it's extremely shameful and disheartening.

Finally in 2015, I visited a new doctor in DFW who suggested a revision. My biggest fear is losing the weight with RNY and gaining it back.

food has and still is an emotional comfort. First step in recovery is admitting, right?! So I've started a food journal with triggers that make me want junk food.

I refuse to invest in this surgery (scheduled surgery is next Tuesday... Thank you Jesus!) and gain all the weight back

So anyone out there a big sweets person- did your cravings die down after the revision to bypass? What are some tricks that worked for you?

I'm thankful for your help and insight!

Xx

Alyssa

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Aww, sounds like you went through a lot a do understand your fears. I had similar experience and same fear of failing at bypass as well. I am revising on May 13, scared to death that I won't be able to lose and if I do I won't be able to maintain it... Only couple of people know about it because I am too embarrassed that I'm going to fail at this too. :( I am determined to do everything I have to do, but knowing my body, that even if I do everything right still have hard time losing... Sure hope this will not be the case

Wishing you all the best on your new beginning, eventfree surgery and great success with revision and maintenance :)

@@secondchance_tx thank you:) keep us update on your progress as well and how the surgery goes. This is definitely a good place to talk to others going through same issues.

Did you have to do a lot of pre op clearances?

What I experienced after RNY gastric bypass surgery was very different than dieting. After surgery, I completely lost my hunger. It was not hard losing weight when hunger is not constantly continuously gnawing at your bones. I am 35 months post-op and I am happy.

There are two phases after weight loss surgery. There is the "Weight Loss" phase and the "Maintenance" phase. I also have a sweet tooth. In the following article, I describe my approach to satisfying my sweet tooth. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

You are going back for the lap band? I am going on the 21st for the sleeve....my surgeon gave me the option of the lap band or sleeve....but he recommended the sleeve as the band they do not see as good of results as well as more complications....not that you cant eventually gain the weight back with the sleeve but have you considered a different option besides the band?

I certainly can relate to your fears. My sugar addiction was one of my reasons for choosing RNY over the sleeve. I knew there was a possibility of dumping when consuming sugar and felt it would be a good deterrent. I was right! Now that I'm 4 months post-op, I really do not crave sugar at all. I'm "lucky" that I actually do dump. I didn't intentionally test it, just didn't read labels and consumed sugar when I hadn't planned on it. The resulting nausea, racing pulse, cold sweats were enough to keep me away. Now I meticulously check labels and watch the grams of sugar.

Sometimes I'll see my kids eating one of my pre-surgery trigger foods and I'll get a little jealous, but I don't crave it at all. I may have a bite of carbs here and there, but I can leave it at a bite. That would have been unheard of pre-surgery. I don't eat rice, potatoes, Pasta, bread or any other refined carbs. I do have quinoa or wild rice once in a while. None of this has brought back my cravings or impacted my weight loss.

Hey Myka99, I'm going for RNY gastric bypass. Never again would I put a band in my body. Excited for the new changes!

And James this is excellent news! Thanks for giving me some encouragement and hope!!

Have a rocking Tuesday:-)

I had conversion on monday, I too, didnt tell almost to no one, I started 40# heavier that when I had my lap band surgery and here in Mexico people is scared of the procedure, so I didn't wanted any negative opinions...

I am 4 days post op and with 3 drainages for safety, pain is bereavle, im drinking my fluids, I still like Water a lot, Im having chicken broth, sugar fre Popsicles and Isopure rdt ...so far so so good...I haven't weighed myself but Ill do on monday for my 1 week appt...

I guess surgery is a very personal decision and something that helps a lot its to force yourself to keep positive about it ... i dream of clothes and looking great in the mirror . ..

Sent from my SM-T230NU using the BariatricPal App

Hi everyone its so good to read your stories!

Im having a band to bypass revision on 19th April and I'm scared as hell!!!

I had initial success with the band in 2009 but by 20011 i was in and out of emergency like a revolving door. What a nightmare.

I thought it was me all along. But now i know it was really the band as it has proven to be a pretty useless device long term. I lost weight by starving myself. Couldnt eat a nice healthy salad. .only sloppy foods.....

So now that im going with the bypass im so afraid that i wont be successful and also that ill be destined to a life of yoghurt and sloppy foods.

An people who have had the bp please tell me what and how they eat now...at varying stages post surgery?

Im hoping that a year down the track i can eat a healthy salad and a piece of fish? Or some grilled meat and steamed vegetables?

I couldnt do that with the band. I spent half my life vomitting and the other half starving!

Alo, is it true that you lose your appetite...because thats what im really looking forward to! :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using the BariatricPal App

@@jnt1

Hi and congrats on taking the big step. I haven't had my revision yet (scheduled for May 13) so I can't really tell you much, but just wanted to say you are definitely not alone. I felt that same way... And even right now I am also terrified of this revision but I am determined to go through with it and make it work. Best of luck to you as well... It's just around the corner :) are you on liquid diet right now? I am supposed to start mine on 28th. Not too thrilled lol but needs to be done

Hi everyone its so good to read your stories!

Im having a band to bypass revision on 19th April and I'm scared as hell!!!

I had initial success with the band in 2009 but by 20011 i was in and out of emergency like a revolving door. What a nightmare.

I thought it was me all along. But now i know it was really the band as it has proven to be a pretty useless device long term. I lost weight by starving myself. Couldnt eat a nice healthy salad. .only sloppy foods.....

So now that im going with the bypass im so afraid that i wont be successful and also that ill be destined to a life of yoghurt and sloppy foods.

An people who have had the bp please tell me what and how they eat now...at varying stages post surgery?

Im hoping that a year down the track i can eat a healthy salad and a piece of fish? Or some grilled meat and steamed vegetables?

I couldnt do that with the band. I spent half my life vomitting and the other half starving!

Alo, is it true that you lose your appetite...because thats what im really looking forward to! :)

You are definitely not alone!!! I feel the exact same way you do. I've had nothing but problems with my band also and I have a fear of failing at the rny too. My surgery is scheduled for May 6th so can't really help out with some of your questions but for me it really helps knowing that we aren't alone in this journey. Just to know that someone else knows what I'm going through helps me out a lot. If you ever want to talk just private message me. Good luck to you and keep us updated on everything!!!

@@jnt1

Hi and congrats on taking the big step. I haven't had my revision yet (scheduled for May 13) so I can't really tell you much, but just wanted to say you are definitely not alone. I felt that same way... And even right now I am also terrified of this revision but I am determined to go through with it and make it work. Best of luck to you as well... It's just around the corner :) are you on liquid diet right now? I am supposed to start mine on 28th. Not too thrilled lol but needs to be done

Hi! yes ive been on liquid pre-op for just over a week.

I've lost a couple of kilos (I'm in Australia ).

At first it was terrible but then i made use of the option for a light vegetable Soup for dinner which made it much easier.

Also my NUT allows me 2 cups if certain free veges/salad. Good fir tge crunch aspect of eating.

I live 2 hours from my surgeon and the hospital. I have a pre op on minday and surgery Tuesday so my husband and i will stay in a hotel the night before. Would rather be in my own bed, but thats how it goes.

There wont be any room service that's for sure. My hubby will have to go and have dinner by himself :)

For those of you having RNY and wondering if you will be able to eat normal foods again, the answer is yes absolutely! I am 19 months post op RNY. My favorite meals consist of good Protein and a salad or veggies. I eat fruit everyday.

My hunger came back but it is different, it's more of an empty feeling that can be resolved by having a very small amount of food. A few bites and I am full.

I still fight head hunger every single day. They are cravings and I have learned to ask myself questions like am I really truly hungry? If not I simply have some Water. If I am, then I choose a healthy snack.< /p>

I really wish I had dumping syndrome but so far I don't which means I have to hold myself accountable to not eating sweets. In the beginning I didn't care for anything sweet, now I do like sweets but the less sugary ones. Anything too sweet is just gross. Give me a tiny piece of lightly sweetened cheese cake and I am in heaven. Other sweets like cakes and Cookies....could care less about them.

I leverage Protein Bars for that sweet salty fix when I need one. For me, Atkins Peanut Butter pretzel meal bar makes a great meal or half for a snack. It has chocolate, Peanut Butter and salty pretzels. It is low carb and 16 grams of Protein. One of the better choices. I also dry fruit or fruit in general once a day.

For those of you having RNY and wondering if you will be able to eat normal foods again, the answer is yes absolutely! I am 19 months post op RNY. My favorite meals consist of good Protein and a salad or veggies. I eat fruit everyday.

My hunger came back but it is different, it's more of an empty feeling that can be resolved by having a very small amount of food. A few bites and I am full.

I still fight head hunger every single day. They are cravings and I have learned to ask myself questions like am I really truly hungry? If not I simply have some Water. If I am, then I choose a healthy snack.< /p>

I really wish I had dumping syndrome but so far I don't which means I have to hold myself accountable to not eating sweets. In the beginning I didn't care for anything sweet, now I do like sweets but the less sugary ones. Anything too sweet is just gross. Give me a tiny piece of lightly sweetened cheese cake and I am in heaven. Other sweets like cakes and Cookies....could care less about them.

I leverage Protein Bars for that sweet salty fix when I need one. For me, Atkins Peanut Butter pretzel meal bar makes a great meal or half for a snack. It has chocolate, Peanut Butter and salty pretzels. It is low carb and 16 grams of Protein. One of the better choices. I also dry fruit or fruit in general once a day.

Oh Djmohr i love your story! Thankyou!

That is my biggest fear.

My life with the band has been so terrible i just cant imagine how much better it will be with bypass.

Everyone says its like night and day, but i just keep worrying that I'll be living on sloppy yoghurt forever :(

It seems like such a bizarre concept to cut away 85% of your stomach!

How did you find going back to work?

I'm a busy high school teacher and I'm worried about the first couple of months!

Any tips?

How long was it before you could eat medium foods like soft vegetables etc?

And then how long until meat?

I find the info dieticians give me is accurate but not from experience. They really cant imagine as they sit their in their size 2 mini skirt explaining food choices.